Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-26-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
T68 wifi disconnects after few minutes guaranteed

I got my T68 two weeks ago from ereader-store.de, it had wifi issue since day one, I emailed ereader-store.de and was advised it was a known issue and that I need to upgrade the firmware. I upgrade to 1.6, but it did not help at all. It always disconnect after just few minutes.

Is there anything I can do or do I have a faulty T68?

Last edited by FinancialWar; 08-27-2014 at 06:44 AM.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Look at post #8 in the T68 Wifi Issues thread. I followed McGonigle's instructions there, rebooted my T68, and no more wifi problems. If your T68 is good, this should work.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2014, 06:09 AM   #3
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Look at post #8 in the T68 Wifi Issues thread. I followed McGonigle's instructions there, rebooted my T68, and no more wifi problems. If your T68 is good, this should work.
I did, I tried everything I could find on this forum before posting here. Nothing helped.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:55 AM   #4
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If anyone else has a suggestion, please offer one. For me, I had this and other issues with my first and second T68. I returned the first for a refund, and then the second. I decided to try one more time. My third try seems to have been the charm. My wifi works, there are no boot loops, and everything works as expected. So, you may have a faulty device. By my experience, there are a number of them out there!
Old 08-27-2014, 07:06 AM   #5
FinancialWar
Banned

Where is with Onxy's quality control?

Companies talk about six sigma, where 99.99966% are defect free.

Not hopefully with an exchange considering the high defect rate.

Last edited by FinancialWar; 08-27-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Advert
Old 08-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
downeaster59
Wizard

It would be interesting to see stats like this for Onyx, though they may be reluctant to reveal them. All I can say is that, in past years, I have owned eReaders from Nook, Kindle and Kobo, and never needed to exchange one or have any kind of repairs. Dumb luck on my part, or better quality control from the other companies? Hmmm... maybe the latter?

My main reason for being interested in a T68 is not for reading eBooks as such. For reading eBooks, I'd rate the Kindle and Kobo as better overall, and the Nook as being as good overall (though each device has its own advantages). I was looking for an eInk Android device that would let me read materials on a couple of apps that I couldn't install on the typical eReader. The T68 excels at this, now that I have one that works as advertised. The T68 is more than adequate as an eReader, especially if you take the time to pick the reading app(s) you prefer and adjust their settings to your preferences. But there are devices out there that give a better overall reading experience out of the box, and which seem less prone to glitches.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #7
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
Where is with Onxy's quality control?

Companies talk about six sigma, where 99.99966% are defect free.

Not hopefully with an exchange considering the high defect rate.
The T68 is a horribly unpolished device, hardware and software wise, and Onyx doesn't care because on the few places that the device is mentioned, people tend to ignore the flaws.

Also, good luck getting an exchange - Artatech completely ignored my e-mails.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
FinancialWar
Banned

I will initiate a refund process with Booxer 's store. Will I have to pay for the send back postage fee?
Old 08-28-2014, 05:26 AM   #9
downeaster59
Wizard

You can check with them, but I suspect you will have to pay the postage fee. I bought my first T68 through Amazon, so I was able to return it without paying postage. The second I bought through Arta Tech in Poland, and I needed to pay return postage for that one.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #10
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
You can check with them, but I suspect you will have to pay the postage fee. I bought my first T68 through Amazon, so I was able to return it without paying postage. The second I bought through Arta Tech in Poland, and I needed to pay return postage for that one.
You were charged postage to return a defective device?!? That's ridiculous.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #11
downeaster59
Wizard

Not only that, but afterwards, Arta Tech emailed me to say that they had to pay customs fees on the device, and they shouldn't have had to. That isn't resolved yet. And that was after I paid - foolish me - $140 to send the thing back to them. Embarrassing, isn't it? A lesson learned.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
FinancialWar
Banned

Wow, Just got a reply from Booxstor's store. Is this how Germans do business?

Hello,

Actually you are not allowed to return your device after 7 days in use (14 days for EU customers only). http://ereader-store.de/en/content/6-returns

If you want to return your device though, we can only accept it, if it is in the like new condition.

Since you are from abroad of EU, shipping costs and payment fees will not be refunded.

If the wifi issue (occasional turning off of wifi settings) is the only ground you want to return your T68, my suggestion is to wait a couple of days - I will figure out a solution for you and provide it asap. Since wifi is generally working - the problem is most likely not in the hardware.

Best Regards,
Waldemar
Customer service

Under Australian law, consumer have the right to return a product not as describe regardless what the company return policy is.

And I have to pay both to and from postage fee?

Now I know why Booxstor do not use PayPal, he knows that he is selling defective products from Onyx and do not want to give refunds.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #13
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
Wow, Just got a reply from Booxstor's store. Is this how Germans do business?

Hello,

Actually you are not allowed to return your device after 7 days in use (14 days for EU customers only). http://ereader-store.de/en/content/6-returns

If you want to return your device though, we can only accept it, if it is in the like new condition.

Since you are from abroad of EU, shipping costs and payment fees will not be refunded.

If the wifi issue (occasional turning off of wifi settings) is the only ground you want to return your T68, my suggestion is to wait a couple of days - I will figure out a solution for you and provide it asap. Since wifi is generally working - the problem is most likely not in the hardware.

Best Regards,
Waldemar
Customer service

Under Australian law, consumer have the right to return a product not as describe regardless what the company return policy is.

And I have to pay both to and from postage fee?

Now I know why Booxstor do not use PayPal, he knows that he is selling defective products from Onyx and do not want to give refunds.
I am even more happy that I decided not to get another. Also, if wifi can be easily fixed, why hasn't it been fixed by now? And for me it wasn't just occasionally turning off, it turned itself off every time I used it.

If you paid by credit card, I'd call the credit card company and tell them to refuse payment.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:59 PM   #14
FinancialWar
Banned

Exactly, funny how Waldemar from ereader-store.de thinks he/she can come up with a solution in a couple of days. Does he/she even read the threads here?

I'll wait a couple of days for his "solution" when I get it, and share it with your guys here.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #15
FinancialWar
Banned

Never buy from ereader-store.de, they have ridiculous return policy that's designed to protect themselves and not the customer from defective products.

The present right of return only applies to products that are returned in their original, complete working condition (packaging, accessories, user guide etc.). Any product that has been damaged, or is not in its original packaging, or has packaging that has been worn beyond simply opening the product, will not be refunded.

Your product must be complete and in ‘as new’ condition (i.e. if you have opened the box to examine the product you must have done so without damaging or marking the product or packaging). It must not have been used or installed. It should be returned with the original box, packing and accessories you received with it. By following the steps above you will receive a full refund for the price of the product.

Seriously, this is the most absurd clause in my entire shopping experience.

How can a user examine and know that the product they received is not defective without using it or installing it?

Last edited by FinancialWar; 08-29-2014 at 05:43 PM.