Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
general questions about Kindles from a newbie

I bought a Kindle Fire; it's my first Kindle device, although I'm very familiar with Android devices and the Kindle Android app. The Fire has now piqued my interest regarding the other, e-ink Kindle devices:

1) I was led to believe that other Kindles have web browsers and/or email support, is that true? It's not mentioned in any of the Kindle's descriptions, but I'm sure I've heard people mention it.

2) Can the wireless-only Kindles work with a hotspot-enabled 3g smartphone?

3) What possible warrants the DX's $379 pricetag? Is it the global 3g? (just a rhetorical question - no need to answer)

Thanks for any insight anyone can give me.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
Alibaba32
Alibaba32 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
1) I was led to believe that other Kindles have web browsers and/or email support, is that true? It's not mentioned in any of the Kindle's descriptions, but I'm sure I've heard people mention it.
Grvthang Hi, as regards the web browsing, all have an experimental version except the Fire. Open the link and scroll down to compare kindles, scroll down further and there is a small piece about the web browser.

I don't own a kindle yet so can,t help with your more indepth questions but I am sure you have email usage.

Regards
Alibaba32
Alibaba32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 04:29 AM   #3
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
My kindle 3 (aka keyboard) works fine with my android phone's hotspot. I use it all the time. The browser is rather slow to update, so not good for browsing around, but it's good for online content high in text (eg news sites, blogs, etc), and even pretty good for forum viewing and updating (I prefer it to my phone, but not to my computer).

I haven't used any of the other Kindles, but glad to have my keyboard, good for forums, and playing text adventure games as well as reading books.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
They have an "experimental" browser. It's handy to have in a pinch to get a book from somewhere other than amazon, but I certainly wouldn't want to use it for general browsing. I'd expect there's a good split between those who like it and those who don't though, so you may find it's perfectly fine.

Quote:
If a phone can act as a wifi hotspot, I see no reason any wifi device wouldn't work with it, whilst I've not tried it, the kindle should be fine.

Quote:
3) What possible warrants the DX's $379 pricetag?
No idea, but a guess would be the size of the eInk display or perhaps the with it been more suited for reading text books which are generally more costly, amazon figure a higher price will be paid. Pure speculation though.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
They have a very basic web browser. It's ... not good.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
3) What possible warrants the DX's $379 pricetag? Is it the global 3g?
No, it's the 9.7" screen. Not many of these are made, and they are very expensive.

Thanks for any insight anyone can give me.[/QUOTE]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
Thanks for the responses! I'm a big Android user, but I also like sitting in the sun on the beach (with sunscreen - don't want to start another topic), so I'm thinking of getting an e-ink reader, because these screens (including the Fire) are almost unreadable in direct sun. I would also like to have a simple browser for getting email and for reading text-heavy sites - no video or animated graphics.

I use my Android phone as a mobile hotspot for my Fire, and I was wondering whether it could also work on a regular wifi-only Kindle.
It looks like my questions are answered. I think I'll just get the plain-vanilla $79 wifi Kindle and see how I like it.
Thanks again!
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
I use my Android phone as a mobile hotspot for my Fire, and I was wondering whether it could also work on a regular wifi-only Kindle.
I suppose that as long as the Android will broadcast in infrastructure, and not ad-hoc, you should be ok.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote