Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
E-Reader that performs like Stanza.. choice of fonts/indents WITHIN the reader?

I love my Sony PRS-505. I've had it for years, it still works perfectly. I was wondering, however, if the newer e-readers now have options within the reader itself to change fonts/justification/indent size/line spacing, the way Stanza does on my iPhone?

I've always used serif fonts, but lately.. I've found that I enjoy reading sans serif on Stanza, just for a change of pace. I like being able to set indent sizes, justification, line spacing, all of that, based on what I like, or fonts based on my mood. Do e-readers with e-ink panels do that now? I know Sony and Amazon seem to be preparing new readers and I will keep an eye out, but was just wondering if any current models have firmware like this. Thanks!
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Most of the modern readers offer user typographical controls but most have granularity limits. That is, they only offer a few preset choices for each option.
If you look around, though, you'll find a few options with very fine (1 point) granularity.
Two options I know for sure will do the job are the Pocketbook readers and the hacked Nook Touch (running Aldiko, FBReader, or Coolcalc; I favor the latter these days).
Others exist.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2011, 12:56 AM   #3
EMG
EMG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I LOVE Stanza on the iPhone! I've been using it for about two years now, but I've recently made the jump to a real ereader.

I shopped this thing to death before buying the Kobo Touch. I was mostly worried about fonts and justification. When I was done researching, to me it came down to the Nook Touch and the Kobo Touch. I chose the Kobo Touch because of availability here in Canada, but the Nook looks just as good.

Sony and Kindle are coming out with new models pretty soon. You might want to wait if you're patient. I didn't, lol! But no regrets.
EMG is offline   Reply With Quote