Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
How to get 0.5-style TOC behaviour from 0.6?

I have an established tool chain for building my ebooks up into large series ebooks, which all related books in a single file. I am moving this from the 0.5 tools to ebook-convert in 0.6, and cannot get the TOC behaviour that I want.

A simple TOC file is generated, looking like this:
Code:
<html><head>
<title>Series Title</title>
<meta name="author" content="Author" />
</head><body>
<em>Series Title</em><br/>
<em>Author</em><br/><br/>
<a href="01 xxx.html">01 xxx</a><br/>
<a href="02 yyy.html">02 yyy</a><br/>
</body></html>
With the 0.5 tools, this would generate a TOC in the output with entries called 01 xxx and 02 yyy, which led to the beginning of each book, exactly what I wanted.

I cannot reproduce this with ebook-convert. By default it seems to be using the title element from 01 xxx.html and 02 yyy.html for the TOC entry, regardless of the text I have specified in the link.

If I markup the <a with a suitable class, and force that class to be recognised as a chapter, I get the TOC entries I want, but the entries point to the link, not the actual book.

If I instead use --max-levels=1 --no-chapters-in-toc to have entries added based on links rather than chapters, I get the entries I want, but I also get entries based on links in 01 xxx and 02 yyy, even though I have specified --max-levels=1. If I specify --max-levels=0 I get tantalisingly close to what I want. The TOC is correct, all the files are includes in the epub, but they are not processed and cannot be accessed. (ticket 3376).

If I use --max-levels=1 and specify --max-toc-links=2 to get just the first two links, that does not work, I get all links (ticket 3375).

Can anyone suggest what combination of options I can use to get the same output as prior to 0.6?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote