Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Boox M92 Questions

I'm seriously planning to get a Boox M92 around the March time-frame. I've glanced around on the forums, but have a few questions:

1. Does it integrate nicely with Calibre? (I'm used to a Sony PRS.)

2. Does it support file tagging or folder organization? (I'm used to Sony collections.)

3. Does it show PDFs "as is" without trying to convert/reflow the text (as seen with the Nook)?

Thank you.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
MatthiasR.
M92 user
MatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Onyx M92
Hi,

since I do not use Calibre, I cannot answer question 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I'm seriously planning to get a Boox M92 around the March time-frame. I've glanced around on the forums, but have a few questions:

2. Does it support file tagging or folder organization? (I'm used to Sony collections.)

3. Does it show PDFs "as is" without trying to convert/reflow the text (as seen with the Nook)?
Regarding 2:
Folder organization is supported. File tagging is not. However, you can search for (parts of) file names. Maybe this can be seen as tags ;-)

Regarding 3:
Reading PDFs works superbly (at least for me). The pdfs are shows "as is". Best of all: It supports to hide margins, thereby allowing to read even scientific papers with 2 columns (and corresponding small font size). I do not know of any other e-ink device currently supporting this. The major advantage with respect to cropping the pdf before uploading it on the device is that you still have the margins to scribble on, if needed.
Additionally, several (14 to be exact) different zoom modi are supported.
On top of that, you have the selection zoom. So PDF handling is really well done.

Feel free to ask more questions!
MatthiasR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you! That is very helpful. I do hope someone can chime in on Calibre, but this sounds perfect.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Thank you! That is very helpful. I do hope someone can chime in on Calibre, but this sounds perfect.
What do you want to know about Calibre? I use it to synchronize my local books and my ereader. Calibre recognizes the M92 as a "Generic" ebook device, creates a directory "MyBooks" and dumps all the books I want in there, sorted by their respective authors (in directories). It also shows which books are both on the device and on my computer.

For me that's enough, but I don't really know what other features there are. Anything else you interested in and I can check? I am on Calibre version 0.8.38.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSSM View Post
What do you want to know about Calibre? I use it to synchronize my local books and my ereader. Calibre recognizes the M92 as a "Generic" ebook device, creates a directory "MyBooks" and dumps all the books I want in there, sorted by their respective authors (in directories). It also shows which books are both on the device and on my computer.

For me that's enough, but I don't really know what other features there are. Anything else you interested in and I can check? I am on Calibre version 0.8.38.
Thank you! This is how I use Calibre with my PocketBook, so that's very sufficient. Good to know that directory-dumping is supported.

If the device supported tagging like the Sony devices, more Calibre integration would be nice, but since it apparently doesn't, that's fine too. Thank you very much.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
mr_mahermahey
mr_mahermahey began at the beginning.

Device: m92, sony 950
mine is recognized but as an Azbooka, it seems they share an id of some sort. I put in a bug report with calibre but they won't change the behavior which I understand.

Regardless, you can alter the settings from
Preferences -> Plugins -> Device Interface Plugins -> Azbooka

Coming from a sony 950 i'm still trying to work out something similar to how I can browse by title or by author on this.
mr_mahermahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_mahermahey View Post
mine is recognized but as an Azbooka, it seems they share an id of some sort. I put in a bug report with calibre but they won't change the behavior which I understand.

Regardless, you can alter the settings from
Preferences -> Plugins -> Device Interface Plugins -> Azbooka

Coming from a sony 950 i'm still trying to work out something similar to how I can browse by title or by author on this.
At a point I considered PRS 950 but after I got eee Note800 I gave up, the screen size is about the same and ..reading experience should be the same ... unsatisfactory I would grade it

So how is M92 compares with PRS 950? Is it a jump ahead / Do you miss any features?
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
mr_mahermahey
mr_mahermahey began at the beginning.

Device: m92, sony 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
So how is M92 compares with PRS 950? Is it a jump ahead / Do you miss any features?
I miss touchscreen, it's more natural to turn the page with my fingers. And I miss browsing book lists by collection, author or title as easily as I can on the sony. I have hope for the browsing part as I've only just started messing with it, and the search function is pretty fast.

Screen quality wise it's as good or better than the sony, and the size works much better for books with code examples. On the sony they'd get reformatted until illegible.
mr_mahermahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
I have a Nook Touch and I have to admit that other than for highlighting I do not use the touch feature too much.
At times I found it confusing for the device as it won't know if my touch was made with the intent to highlight a word at the right side of the page or with the intention to go to the next page.
For Pocket Edge where I have touch screen and stylus I prefer to work with the stylus when I am reading PDFs (landscape mode though). It is a lot more precise and easy. That is in study mode reading
When in leisure mode reading I prefer not to use the stylus but the touch function.
As M92 is for studying I think that it is actually better to just handle everything with stylus and buttons.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote