Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
rasp1331
rasp1331 began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen 3
Another lookup problem

Hi, I'm having a problem with looking up words in my manually created mobipocket books. Strange thing that the lookup works perfectly in the original mobipocket demos. Lookup also works if I open the manually created books on my PC with mobipocket reader.

Is there a special setting in Mobipocket Creator I should be aware of? Or should I use an older version (I'm using the most recent, 4.2)?

I also cannot update the firmware, because the SD card reader doesn't work on my CyBook. My current build is 476.
rasp1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasp1331 View Post
Hi, I'm having a problem with looking up words in my manually created mobipocket books. Strange thing that the lookup works perfectly in the original mobipocket demos. Lookup also works if I open the manually created books on my PC with mobipocket reader.

Is there a special setting in Mobipocket Creator I should be aware of? Or should I use an older version (I'm using the most recent, 4.2)?

I also cannot update the firmware, because the SD card reader doesn't work on my CyBook. My current build is 476.
Are you sure your SD card doesn't work? Have you tried another SD card? Have you made sure that you've formatted the SD card (using your PC) to FAT32 before using it? Are you inserting it in the proper orientation? (label-side facing the rear of the Cybook, contacts-side facing the front (display) of the Cybook)

If any of those are incorrect or haven't been done, you might not recognize the SD card. Try those first. If the SD card starts working in your Cybook, then go and download update_kernelb538.zip and follow the instructions for updating your Cybook. Then download the V1.1 Build 685 update and install it.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
rasp1331

Thanks for the quick reply!

The SD card surely doesn't work, the first time I inserted it the wrong way round, and though *it seemed* that nothing broke, now inserting the cards the right way under XP explorer hangs until I remove the card, under linux and OS X the card shows up as unformatted (it is formatted FAT32 in fact), and when trying to format it fails with an I/O error.

Fortunately I solved the lookup problem, it turned out that for the language metadata mobipocket creator used the default language in XP, which was hungarian, so i guess the cybook was looking for hungarian dictionary. Now setting it to english everything works as expected.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasp1331 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply!

The SD card surely doesn't work, the first time I inserted it the wrong way round, and though *it seemed* that nothing broke, now inserting the cards the right way under XP explorer hangs until I remove the card, under linux and OS X the card shows up as unformatted (it is formatted FAT32 in fact), and when trying to format it fails with an I/O error.

Fortunately I solved the lookup problem, it turned out that for the language metadata mobipocket creator used the default language in XP, which was hungarian, so i guess the cybook was looking for hungarian dictionary. Now setting it to english everything works as expected.
Well, what may have happened is one of the contacts within the SD card slot is probably broken. That wouldn't prevent the locking mechanism from holding the SD card in place, but would prevent you from accessing the SD card. You can either send the Cybook back, learn to live without any firmware updates or replace the SD card slot yourself.

Sorry to say, but replacing it yourself would require you to open up the Cybook, unsolder the old slot and solder a new slot in its place. You're definitely not talking a "simple" task. And that would void any warranty left on your Cybook.

Sending it back will probably cost you between $100 and $150, plus any shipping as this is a "user-caused" failure. Not wonderful for your pocketbook, but you'd most likely get a swap-out for a newer 512MB model. That would be an advantage.

Until you can decide which of those two other options to pursue, best to enjoy the Cybook with firmware build 476.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:59 AM   #5
rasp1331

I can live with it this way, and from other comments it seems that the current firmware upgrade is not that great either, though it would still be nice if upgrade would be possible without an SD card.
Advert