Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-12-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
Drew93
Drew93 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch & Amazon Kindle 3
Exist e method to rotate the screen of Nook?

I need to rotate the screen of the nook simple touch beacause i have a pdf made up with 2 pages for times. Can i do it?
Drew93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew93 View Post
I need to rotate the screen of the nook simple touch beacause i have a pdf made up with 2 pages for times. Can i do it?
No, on the touch only portrait mode is supported with the stock software.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

The nook touch is able to rotate screen. I don't know why they "disabled" that option. Let me explain how I managed to do that:
I was surfing the internet with the hidden browser and googled some video to check youtube in nook touch. I clicked on one result that took me to a youtube page saying the video couldn't be streamed. That page changed the orientation of the screen to landscape which remained unchanged while browsing and reading the current book. After clicking HOME it all came back to portrait.
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
landscape mode is available with the Aldiko ereader, but only under an 'enabled' Nook Touch (not too hard to do using a computer, SDHC microsd carrier, and a few simple command-line incantations)

:-)

that said, i like the flexibility of being able to change orientation - comes in handy once in a while...

the ability to flip screen orientation has been around for quite some time - used to use it on my Zaurus 5500, and currently supported by fbreader on my Nokia N800

alternatively, how about recasting the pdf (e.g., rotating the pages), saving the file, and then reading on your nook?

Last edited by linux_author; 07-22-2011 at 02:09 PM.
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret View Post
The nook touch is able to rotate screen. I don't know why they "disabled" that option. Let me explain how I managed to do that:
I was surfing the internet with the hidden browser and googled some video to check youtube in nook touch. I clicked on one result that took me to a youtube page saying the video couldn't be streamed. That page changed the orientation of the screen to landscape which remained unchanged while browsing and reading the current book. After clicking HOME it all came back to portrait.
I think the browser has a context menu that lets you switch orientation. But that has no relevance to PDF or ePub viewer.

As far as PDF is concerned, unless it is 'locked' or DRMed, you can rotate the pages using a PDF authoring tool so they display as desired on Nook Touch.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
skylarmt
skylarmt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Sony PRS-T1
Smile Well, here's an app for that.

I'm sorry about the year-and-a-half bump, but this page is the first Google result for "nook touch change screen rotation". I have made an app for rotating the NOOK screen, and just about anything else's screen too. You install the app, and when it launches you are presented with two buttons: Portrait and Landscape. Click one and the app exits, sticking the screen in the new mode. Enjoy!

Oh, and you have to change the ".zip" to ".apk" for it to work, I can't upload apk files here, and it IS technically a zip file anyways (the admin should add apk to the list of good formats.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Rotator.zip (1.23 MB, 610 views)
skylarmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
Joydeck
Joydeck began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarmt View Post
I have made an app for rotating the NOOK screen...
How can any app be installed on an unrooted NST? And why would you need the app if using a rooted NST, when most android pdf readers can rotate the screen?
Joydeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:52 AM   #8
skylarmt

Technically, rooting isn't required. I can install apps on my Nook, but cannot get root permissions. I posted it on this thread because, as I said, it's the first Google result, and I would have liked it if there was an apk or something here, so I didn't have to make one.

EDIT: The original question does not specify rooted or unrooted, I just checked.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #9
Joydeck
Joydeck began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarmt View Post
You install the app, and when it launches you are presented with two buttons: Portrait and Landscape.
I've read nothing, anywhere, to suggest that apps can be installed on an unrooted NST. Can you please provide some guidance or a link showing how to install your downloaded and renamed ZIP file on a Nook? Can you easily uninstall the APK file at a later time?
Joydeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I agree. How would one install this on an unrooted NST?? By osmosis?
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
skylarmt

By "rooting" I meant gaining access to the root user. I "rooted" my Nook, but cannot get root user access. Look up the "su" command for linux if you want more information. Sorry about the confusion!