Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
jgbrut
jgbrut began at the beginning.

Lightbulb Tricks to format e-Books for prs-500

This is what I have found to (implement the Sony PRS-500). Is that the Default format for this device is RTF not PDF. PDF is there to help you support the open standards and allow you some flexability to find materals. I have found that if I take a .PDF file and with Acrobat professional ($$$$) reformat the paper to 4X6, and select a bold font, Rename the document in the propertys section, then save as RTF. This works great. This assumes the author did not protect the content. (you can check this by seeing if the print button works), If it does then the reformating works. There is also a ocr fuction that you can use if this doesn't work. I know acrobat professional is expencive but it works.

What I would like to see is a single forum Page that lists all the tricks like above.

I have also used the .Lit converter and word to format so many books I can't load them all at once. and all of this in the last 2 weeks. It's not hard when there are easy "how to" instructions.

Here are the instructions for lit conversion:
Download the Lit converter and install install it.( you will find it in the forum) take a lit file and convert it RTF format, Load the file in Word, Change the paper size to 4x6. Select all and change the font to Bold, Use the properties to name the file and the author, then save the file as .RTF.

There is no shortage of content, just a shortage of easy to understand "how to" convert from one format to the other and what you should target as the best format to view on the reader it's self.

Ps: everything I have done is found on the pages of this forum, so the ideas are there but not in "easy to read" how to format. I am sure a little effort will go along way to make the reader a success.

Last edited by jgbrut; 11-20-2006 at 01:48 PM.
jgbrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrut
What I would like to see is a forum Page that lists all the tricks like above.
Here you go:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7892

I've just realized that that's not what you're talking about, jgbrut. I agree that what we really need is a thread in the Content sub-forum for that sort of stuff.

Since it's your (good) idea, I think you should go for it.

Last edited by NatCh; 11-20-2006 at 01:41 PM. Reason: responded too fast the first time
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
And while we are at it, the Wiki is probably a good place too for collecting ideas and how-tos
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:40 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrut
Here are the instructions for lit conversion:
Download the Lit converter and install install it.( you will find it in the forum) take a lit file and convert it RTF format, Load the file in Word, Change the paper size to 4x6. Select all and change the font to Bold, Use the properties to name the file and the author, then save the file as .RTF.
Could you explain the reason for changing the paper size? I understand why it's necessary for a "page based" format such as PDF, but why is it required for RTF, where the text simply "flows"? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious .

One other important step in the process - increase the font size. I find that the standard 12pt text size is just too small in Reader; I always increase the font size to 16pt, which is just right in Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think the RTF requires paper resizing, particularly, though it certainly doesn't hurt anything.

Just for grins I took a couple of pages from a file and compared them adjusted for:
A) 18pt font at A4,
B) sized to the Reader at 12pt
and
C) A4 12point.

There didn't seem to be any difference between B & C, but A was much bigger.
Advert
Old 11-22-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I don't think the RTF requires paper resizing, particularly, though it certainly doesn't hurt anything.

Just for grins I took a couple of pages from a file and compared them adjusted for:
A) 18pt font at A4,
B) sized to the Reader at 12pt
and
C) A4 12point.

There didn't seem to be any difference between B & C, but A was much bigger.
Thanks - that confirms what I thought would be the case. With an RTF file, you just get whatever text will fit on the screen, based on the current font size. The "page size" you set in Word is of no relevence.

Obviously if you want to take the subsequent step of converting the RTF into a PDF (eg if the file has pictures in it that you want to see on the Reader), then you do need to set the page size to correspond to the size of the Reader screen before saving as a PDF, since PDF is a page-based format.

Regards,

Harry.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:50 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

Yup, that's it in a nutshell.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #8
bongosdude
bongosdude began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-500
I just bought sony prs-500 last friday (8/28/2007) and I am so desperate to make my tech ebook fit sony reader prs-500. Can someone show me step

1. to reformat page size to 4x6 using Adobe professional
2. select bold font

I am not good at using word and adobe but I would like to reformat my tech PDF to be read with PRS-500
Thanks
bongosdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:28 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongosdude View Post
I just bought sony prs-500 last friday (8/28/2007) and I am so desperate to make my tech ebook fit sony reader prs-500. Can someone show me step

1. to reformat page size to 4x6 using Adobe professional
2. select bold font

I am not good at using word and adobe but I would like to reformat my tech PDF to be read with PRS-500
Thanks
The 4x6 size is not the best way to make PDF documents for the Sony Reader.

A while back Bob Russell posted a guide from Sony on how to format PDF documents for the Reader. I have used it and it creates wonderful, easy to use PDFs for the Reader.

A link to the original post with the downloadable guidelines is here.

I used these in creating an instruction manual for technicians at a company I work with and it has been well received at all levels of the company.

If you are creating a new file from an existing PDF file check out the new pdflrf program by cacapee. It is amazing.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote