crtscts
noauth
user guest
password guest
usepeerdns
novj
nodeflate
nobsdcomp

I thought the dr800sg could using the SIM card to do the dialup.

Please let me know it is wrong.
jackotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
What about the little matter of switching the radio from cdma to gsm?
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 01:01 AM   #3
jackotman
jackotman began at the beginning.

Device: Dr800sg
based on the info from
http://justslackin.wordpress.com/200...oadband-works/
************************************************** *******************************
You will need the firmware provided on the windows installation to allow the card to run. In my installation, the files on the windows side were under \QUALCOMM\QDLService\Packages\1\ (Your path may be different. There were 10 different sets of firmware included on my windows partition, it took a bit of trial and error to determine which firmware worked and which didn’t. What appears to be the case is the amss.mbn for GSM is roughly 9MB and the amss.mbn for CDMA is roughly 5MB. For Verizon, you want the CDMA file and it’s associated apps.mbn.

The two files amss.mbn and apps.mbn will need to be copied into /lib/firmware/gobi/ If this folder does not exist, you will need to create it.

************************************************** *******************************

I found out that /Qualcomm wireless need to load the right firmware to config itself access GSM or CDMA network.

the firmware will load on when the device power on and I also sure when your device has been restart, the firmware need to be reload.

however I not sure that firmware will be loaded or not when you send "ATZ" command to soft reset the device.

in IREX /opt/Qualcomm/Images2k/iRex# /Qualcomm folder there are two subfolder:
1 -> CDMA firmware
UMTS -> GSM firmware

in /opt/Qualcomm/QDLService2k folder
there are two file:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 117 1969-12-31 19:00 Options2kiRex.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 139K 1969-12-31 19:00 QDLService2kiRex

As my guess, Options2kiRex.txt is the cofig file and QDLService2kiRex is the firmware download exe file.

note: QDLService = "Qualcomm Gobi Download Service"
ref: http://blogs.technet.com/teammb/arch...windows-7.aspx
************************************************** ********************************
# Steve123 said on January 17, 2009 11:17 AM:

Well, this blog seems abandoned... Anyway, my findings about the Qualcomm Gobi drivers, as I had some free time to dig into the issue:

- if I extract the HP WWAN installer, I find two separate MSI installers made by Qualcomm. One installs the so called "Gobi images" which seem to be settings for the various WWAN service providers (like Verzion, etc. and european UMTS providers). The other one installs the drivers and the QDLService ("Qualcomm Gobi Download Service"), which seems to be a loader of some sort, which has the task to load the correct "Gobi image", depending on the current provider. This latter installer is the one, which fails with a generic error.

************************************************** ******************************************

here is the info in /opt/Qualcomm/QDLService2k# cat Options2kiRex.txt
/opt/Qualcomm/Images2k/iRex/1/amss.mbn
/opt/Qualcomm/Images2k/iRex/1/apps.mbn
/opt/Qualcomm/Images2k/iRex/1/uqcn.mbn

What i guess that if i change Options2kiRex.txt to
/opt/Qualcomm/Images2k/iRex/UMTS/amss.mbn
/opt/Qualcomm/Images2k/iRex/UMTS/apps.mbn

the USIM fireware will be loaded.

Link: the datasheet for the wireless card
http://www.qualcomm.com/common/docum...oductSheet.pdf

Last edited by jackotman; 03-18-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:15 AM   #4
jackotman

Also, I think if you can put "chat-other-3g" file to the SD card and ask "/etc/ppp/peers/provider" load that file from SD card mount point. You can always change the APN when you use different SIM card.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Just a caution, but what iRex has said about this is that the reason the 3G isn't included outside of the US is that they don't have agreements with any carriers. Theoretically it may be possible to change the code ourselves to get it to work, but they warn that carriers will sometimes blacklist an unknown device that they see connecting to them, even with a SIM card. In other words, the SIM may work on their network, but sometimes they won't consider the device authorized.

With that said... good luck! This would be cool if you could get it working.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
jackotman

I am not a good linux programmer.
I just wanta know does any genius programmer here can help me write a simple shcript to test my theory?
Old 03-14-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Just a caution, but what iRex has said about this is that the reason the 3G isn't included outside of the US is that they don't have agreements with any carriers. Theoretically it may be possible to change the code ourselves to get it to work, but they warn that carriers will sometimes blacklist an unknown device that they see connecting to them, even with a SIM card. In other words, the SIM may work on their network, but sometimes they won't consider the device authorized.

Does this even happen, if you've got a flatrate for unlimited (web)traffic? I guess, that's the only kind of contract which would make sense. And my guess would have been, the providers of flatrates wouldn't care about such little traffic...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS500 (great UX and BQ), DR800SG (great screen and features)
Quote:

This seems a non-sense to me. After all, there are many cell phones, unknown to carriers.
Also, i believe that carrier only knows IMEI code of the device, not the manufacturer/model number.
penartur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
I believe on the newer kernels the gobi is supported through the qcserial driver. Now I only had a gobi on my desk for 3 days for a Windows box so I cannot comment on it, best bet is to look at what the NetworkManager guys are doing for gnome/kde.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by penartur View Post
This seems a non-sense to me. After all, there are many cell phones, unknown to carriers.
Also, i believe that carrier only knows IMEI code of the device, not the manufacturer/model number.
I don't know how the carrier would know, or if they would really care. Just passing on the warning that iRex gave in their forums about it. I think what iRex is really saying is that if something does happen and a carrier blocks you, iRex isn't responsible. I don't know how likely it is that it would happen.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #11
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS500 (great UX and BQ), DR800SG (great screen and features)
Quote:
I don't know how the carrier would know, or if they would really care. Just passing on the warning that iRex gave in their forums about it. I think what iRex is really saying is that if something does happen and a carrier blocks you, iRex isn't responsible. I don't know how likely it is that it would happen.
Well, Irex doesn't support third-party SIMs officially, so i can't see how irex can be responsible if one will be unable to use certain third-party SIM in their DR800SG.
Or is it something like "don't put cats in your microwave"?
penartur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:32 AM   #12
vakya
Connoisseur
vakya doesn't littervakya doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, IREX DR800, Kindle 3 y Kindle 4 NT
Pardon for my english.

I am in Spain and I have to try several SIMs. Even companies that offer no phone in their contracts (are you sure you do not put paste).

Jackotman, if you want to experiment with me I am ready. I just saw this message and not if you have already tested your theory.
vakya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:53 AM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by penartur View Post
Well, Irex doesn't support third-party SIMs officially, so i can't see how irex can be responsible if one will be unable to use certain third-party SIM in their DR800SG.
Or is it something like "don't put cats in your microwave"?
I think all the dogs in the audience would enjoy microwaving those cats.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:23 AM   #14
vakya
Connoisseur
vakya doesn't littervakya doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, IREX DR800, Kindle 3 y Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I think all the dogs in the audience would enjoy microwaving those cats.
Are you talking about me?

Jackotman, I tried what you say but these files in version 2.0 beta no longer exist.
vakya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
Renato
Renato began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackotman View Post
based on the info from
http://justslackin.wordpress.com/200...oadband-works/
You will need the firmware provided on the windows installation to allow the card to run. In my installation, the files on the windows side were under \QUALCOMM\QDLService\Packages\1\ (Your path may be different. There were 10 different sets of firmware included on my windows partition, it took a bit of trial and error to determine which firmware worked and which didn’t. What appears to be the case is the amss.mbn for GSM is roughly 9MB and the amss.mbn for CDMA is roughly 5MB. For Verizon, you want the CDMA file and it’s associated apps.mbn.

The two files amss.mbn and apps.mbn will need to be copied into /lib/firmware/gobi/ If this folder does not exist, you will need to create it.

I found out that /Qualcomm wireless need to load the right firmware to config itself access GSM or CDMA network.

the firmware will load on when the device power on and I also sure when your device has been restart, the firmware need to be reload.

however I not sure that firmware will be loaded or not when you send "ATZ" command to soft reset the device.

in IREX /opt/Qualcomm/Images2k/iRex# /Qualcomm folder there are two subfolder:
1 -> CDMA firmware
UMTS -> GSM firmware

in /opt/Qualcomm/QDLService2k folder
there are two file:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 117 1969-12-31 19:00 Options2kiRex.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 139K 1969-12-31 19:00 QDLService2kiRex

As my guess, Options2kiRex.txt is the cofig file and QDLService2kiRex is the firmware download exe file.

note: QDLService = "Qualcomm Gobi Download Service"
ref: http://blogs.technet.com/teammb/arch...windows-7.aspx
************************************************** ********************************
# Steve123 said on January 17, 2009 11:17 AM:

Well, this blog seems abandoned... Anyway, my findings about the Qualcomm Gobi drivers, as I had some free time to dig into the issue:

- if I extract the HP WWAN installer, I find two separate MSI installers made by Qualcomm. One installs the so called "Gobi images" which seem to be settings for the various WWAN service providers (like Verzion, etc. and european UMTS providers). The other one installs the drivers and the QDLService ("Qualcomm Gobi Download Service"), which seems to be a loader of some sort, which has the task to load the correct "Gobi image", depending on the current provider. This latter installer is the one, which fails with a generic error.

************************************************** ******************************************

here is the info in /opt/Qualcomm/QDLService2k# cat Options2kiRex.txt
/opt/Qualcomm/Images2k/iRex/1/amss.mbn
/opt/Qualcomm/Images2k/iRex/1/apps.mbn

What i guess that if i change Options2kiRex.txt to
/opt/Qualcomm/Images2k/iRex/UMTS/amss.mbn
/opt/Qualcomm/Images2k/iRex/UMTS/apps.mbn

the USIM fireware will be loaded.

Link: the datasheet for the wireless card
http://www.qualcomm.com/common/docum...oductSheet.pdf
Hi, I am just trying to edit the DR800 SG firmware according to your explanation. How can I find the path on my Mac? Thanks for you help!
Renato is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3g.dr800sg, sim