Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Am I Missing Something? (spellchecker)

Just started using this program. To edit some of my older ebooks (clean them up) and then noticed I couldn't find a spellchecker. So I am assuming it doesn't have one. Is this assumption correct? Or is it just hiding? Or in the form of a plugin? If true I am a bit surprised only because its called an editor.

Thanks.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
Just started using this program. To edit some of my older ebooks (clean them up) and then noticed I couldn't find a spellchecker. So I am assuming it doesn't have one. Is this assumption correct? Or is it just hiding? Or in the form of a plugin? If true I am a bit surprised only because its called an editor.

Thanks.
Worth asking for - just don't post epubs with spelling 'corrections' of old works...
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 02:10 AM   #3
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Worth asking for - just don't post epubs with spelling 'corrections' of old works...
LOL, no these are ones I bought a long time ago before epub ever existed. I wouldn't post them because they are copyrighted. But I converted the old ebooks over to epub using calibre and wasn't thinking about all the errors. So I grabbed Sigil and was going to do some correcting.

Some of the books have a pattern of misspellings so Im using the replace command. But this is slow. Spellchecker would go much faster lol.

Anyway thanks for the post.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:18 AM   #4
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
So I shouldn't be trying to spellcheck the King James Bible or Hamlet? Gotcha, thanks for the advice.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:06 AM   #5
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
So I shouldn't be trying to spellcheck the King James Bible or Hamlet? Gotcha, thanks for the advice.
I was more thinking about more modern works - Jane Austen for instance - some just can't help wanting to 'correct' the spelling :/
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Just for fun ...

The Spell Checker

Eye halve a spelling chequer;
It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye can knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a whirred
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong or write.
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid,
It nose bee fore two long;
An dye can put the era rite.
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw.
I'm sheer your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh;
My chequer tolled me sew.

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
ZacWolf
ZacWolf began at the beginning.

Device: stanza on iTouch, nook
I would recommend ASPELL. It's not directly a plug-in for Sigil, but it's a stand-alone spell checker that can probably help you get what you're looking for.

To be honest, we're very lucky to have an editor for any ePub, because the intention of ePub is that it is *supposed* to be "final".
ZacWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #8
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Look, Sigil is still very much alpha software. It lacks many features that I would call essential. But time doesn't grow on trees, and I have only so much of it.

Feel free to star the spell-checking issue on the tracker.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
ZacWolf
ZacWolf began at the beginning.

Device: stanza on iTouch, nook
Valloric, you're doing awesome work, don't let anyone get ya down. Folks just don't understand development lifecycle...
ZacWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Look, Sigil is still very much alpha software. It lacks many features that I would call essential. But time doesn't grow on trees, and I have only so much of it.

Feel free to star the spell-checking issue on the tracker.
Hey don't take anything I posted as negative. It wasn't intended that way. More of just a play on words, having a little fun. I probably didn't convey the humor that I intended properly.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 01-09-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Hey don't take anything I posted as negative. It wasn't intended that way. More of just a play on words, having a little fun. I probably didn't convey the humor that I intended properly.
Don't worry, I didn't read anything into it. And I didn't mean to sound defensive in my last post, although reading it now I can see it can be interpreted that way. Sadly, written communication can lead to misunderstandings.

Point being, I'm aware of Sigil's limitations, and I'm the one that's the most pissed off my them. The reason for that is because I know how to fix/implement all of it, it's just that time is such a precious commodity to a grad student. I also feel like crap when I experience some of the shortcomings personally, and then realize that several thousand of Sigil's users are also feeling the same. It makes me want to drop everything so I can work on it, but alas, we all have responsibilities that take precedence over things we would rather be doing.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:57 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
All power to your elbow, Valloric. You're developing a valuable facility. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote