Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
et1976
et1976 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Secondhand 505 - worth it?

I have seen a second hand 505 for £158. This is the cheapest I have seen after some searching. It has a cover, mains charger, CD of 100 books and a quickstart manual, but no USB cable or software/manual CDs. I'm not sure what this means or if it would be a problem not to have these.

Anyone think this is a good deal, or should I just pay the extra £40 for a brand new one?

Or the extra £60 for the 600?
et1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
You need the USB cable to download your books (but they cost pennies), the CD is stacked with books you can pick up free all over the web, the mains charger is an extra and that's absolutely necessary because charging buy USB doesn't work well, the manual's online. In your shoes, I'd go the extra £40 and pay for a mains charger. I've no experience of the 600 (which would mean an extra £60), but reports here suggest the 505 is the way to go. I've certainly been more than happy with mine. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
et1976
et1976 began at the beginning.

Device: none
The £158 includes the mains charger.
et1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Sorry about my muddled post, Et. Yep, I realise that the mains charger was to be thrown in, but you'll still need a USB cable. The other 'extras' aren't really extras at all. I guess by your use of ££ that you're in the UK: That's a pity when you're going for an ereader. There are threads here at MR from our pals across the Shining Big Sea Water talking about the 505 as low as $70 (from a store called target). G'luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote