Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 05-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #166
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Many threads start with one topic (e.g., DRM) and someone will make a relevant point and add supporting evidence that their favorite author sells only ebooks without DRM. Then someone will naturally reply to that post and say how exciting they find that author ... I also think it's natural (human) as it happens in all but the most intensely focused face-to-face discussions. So why shouldn't it be allowed to happen here?
Agreed 100%. Topics divert sometimes, and that's real life.

And for those who are still concerned, this thread is already over ten pages long, hence it's likely you overlooked this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
The Lounge, with its diverse set of topics, both happy and serious, is the right place for off-topic discussions. When you begin a new off-topic discussion, feel free to add a note in your thread saying that you would appreciate the discussion to stay on-topic. If you think someone is intentionally disregarding your request, contact a moderator.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #167
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I must say that at the beginning, I too felt a bit intimidated by the established members whose names were frequently present in the Lounge and other threads. I had to push myself outside of my comfort zone and start making the comments that I felt were relavent to the discussion. It wasn't easy, but I am so glad that I did. I am thoroughly enjoying my membership in this, my first, forum. The general populace here are friendly and encouraging, even when your views don't always mesh with theirs. It is posters like Zelda, mjh215, Am, DixieGal, and so many others that make this a great place to spend some time. And of course, Alex, for making it all possible!
well, this may surprise some, but i also was intimidated when i first joined, before i got to know people. i think it's true for *any* group. it's pretty normal to need a bit of time to find your footing, get to know people, learn a bit about the history. on the other hand, i would never have stayed here if i hadn't felt welcomed by the older members, particularly since i'm actually a very shy person.

i know that some say they find it hard to "break into" the group here but i'm still amazed by how overwhelmingly friendly and outgoing the people here are. in fact it's one of my favorite things about this forum. newcomers are greeted with enthusiasm and friendly curiosity. we've got a few members who spend lots of time just saying hello to new members in the introduction forum, and one member in particular who makes it a point of honour to let no introduction go un-noticed. there are many people who are on the lookout for new members just getting to know about ebooks who are always ready to help answer questions and give useful advice. i'm sure there are some posts (in every forum, not specifically the lounge) which might not get a direct reply but they still add to the discussion ; i haven't noticed anyone being "ignored", in fact it seems generally to be quite the opposite that happens here.

Quote:
I had a great Principal who once told me to "take 24 hours" before responding to something that upsets or angers you. That way you can respond with thoughtfulness and reason. I try very hard to apply that very wise advise in my daily life (although, when you have kids, it is extremely hard to do sometimes ).
this seems like very sound advice.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #168
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
well, this may surprise some, but i also was intimidated when i first joined, before i got to know people. i think it's true for *any* group. it's pretty normal to need a bit of time to find your footing, get to know people, learn a bit about the history. on the other hand, i would never have stayed here if i hadn't felt welcomed by the older members, particularly since i'm actually a very shy person.
Your first post everywhere is always scary

As you start to post more, you'll become more comfortable with it and start posting more, which will cause you to become known (for good or bad, that is the question...) and it will become easier and easier!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #169
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Actually, I too felt rather shy and intimidated when I first joined the forum in May 2007. I can see that newer members may feel the same, particularly as the lounge has now developed a mythology all of its own.

(Perhaps someone could make a sticky thread explaining the curious allusions to improbable beverages, socks, etc. This might help people to find their bearings. I must admit that I occasionally lose track now and then.)

And do bear in mind that a member can add a "serious" prefix to any lounge thread and politely request that it stays on topic.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #170
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Well sorry Zelda, but that just is not true - try being a relative newcomer to these forums and posting replies in a thread in the Lounge where several long-term members are interacting. True, you won't get any hostility, but it is almost certain that you will be totally and utterly ignored.
Well, sorry Bilbo, but that is just not true. I tried being a relative newcomer to these forums (back when I joined .... little less than I year ago, I think), and I had a blast. Not only was I not ignored, but I was welcomed by an awful lot of people. The people who were less than nice, I simply put on my ignore list, and have pretty much forgotten that they even exist.

I certainly wasn't "utterly ignored," even in threads where several long-term members were interacting.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #171
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I agree with Ricky. I may have been pointed to the right answer if my logic was flawed, but I've NEVER been ignored here. MobileRead has been an overwhelmingly positive experience for me, and it's now one of my favorite places online. Do I feel left out of certain conversations? Yes, at times. Does it bother me? Not at all. I can usually figure out what's going on by going back and reading the thread, and if I can't, and it's something that's important to me,then I ask.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #172
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I agree with Ricky. I may have been pointed to the right answer if my logic was flawed, but I've NEVER been ignored here. MobileRead has been an overwhelmingly positive experience for me, and it's now one of my favorite places online. Do I feel left out of certain conversations? Yes, at times. Does it bother me? Not at all. I can usually figure out what's going on by going back and reading the thread, and if I can't, and it's something that's important to me,then I ask.
And what I've found here is that when you do ask there's usually quite a lot of people willing to help you and point you in the right direction. Unlike some other forums I've been on, where the standard response is to tell people to use the search function
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:56 AM   #173
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
When I first joined MobileRead I was greeted warmly. The Sony PRS-500 had just been introduced a month or so before -- it was the first e-ink reader with widespread distribution in the uS. While there was coverage of the Sony, a majority of the forum was dedicated to reading on your PDA or cell phone.

I stayed for the great people thet were members of MobileRead. Some of my early questions were (as I look back now) very lame. All sorts of people answered them. Many had asked the same questions before and many have also asked them since -- what set MobileRead apart for all other forums I have ever visited is that they answered them as if it was the first time the question had been asked. There was no, go look in the manual or Google it. I wanted to know and they wanted to help. I stuck around.

After a while I knew enough in a few areas to help others. I remember the first karma I received for helping someone with a problem. My response took about 15 seconds to type but may have saved them many hours of experimentation.

A lot of the questions we asked and answered in those days have now found their way into the Wiki. Over time the Wiki grew haphazzardly and in spurts until Dale reorganized it and gave it a great structure. Now we can link directly to the Wiki in responses. Also, the number of those basic questions have declined as the Wiki is far more usable and has a great wealth of knowledge.

The original intent of the forum (as I have understood it) is to promote and facilitate e-reading. The only change over the years has been the platforms. Likewise the software used has also evolved -- once the discussions were of Silo and Plucker, for a while BookDesigner was the hot topic, and now the software discussions center on Calibre and Mobipocket. (And many more I should list but they are not coming to mind at the moment.)

I stay at MobileRead because it just feels like home.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:44 AM   #174
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
(Perhaps someone could make a sticky thread explaining the curious allusions to improbable beverages, socks, etc. This might help people to find their bearings. I must admit that I occasionally lose track now and then.)
Yeah - you miss one or two days - and suddenly you're so yesterday (especially your avatar)
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #175
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
When I first joined MobileRead I was greeted warmly. The Sony PRS-500 had just been introduced a month or so before -- it was the first e-ink reader with widespread distribution in the uS. While there was coverage of the Sony, a majority of the forum was dedicated to reading on your PDA or cell phone.

I stayed for the great people thet were members of MobileRead. Some of my early questions were (as I look back now) very lame. All sorts of people answered them. Many had asked the same questions before and many have also asked them since -- what set MobileRead apart for all other forums I have ever visited is that they answered them as if it was the first time the question had been asked. There was no, go look in the manual or Google it. I wanted to know and they wanted to help. I stuck around.

After a while I knew enough in a few areas to help others. I remember the first karma I received for helping someone with a problem. My response took about 15 seconds to type but may have saved them many hours of experimentation.

A lot of the questions we asked and answered in those days have now found their way into the Wiki. Over time the Wiki grew haphazzardly and in spurts until Dale reorganized it and gave it a great structure. Now we can link directly to the Wiki in responses. Also, the number of those basic questions have declined as the Wiki is far more usable and has a great wealth of knowledge.

The original intent of the forum (as I have understood it) is to promote and facilitate e-reading. The only change over the years has been the platforms. Likewise the software used has also evolved -- once the discussions were of Silo and Plucker, for a while BookDesigner was the hot topic, and now the software discussions center on Calibre and Mobipocket. (And many more I should list but they are not coming to mind at the moment.)

I stay at MobileRead because it just feels like home.
RWood, I haven't been around as long as you but many of my experiences with MobileRead are similar to yours. Being a bit hesitant, I lurked for quite awhile before I worked up the nerve to join. The first time I was sent a Friendship request, I was thrilled! The information contained in MobileRead is invaluable, but the people who post here are a true gift. For those who are upset with the closing of the Conservatory, remember all the othe wonderful things that MR has to offer. In the grand scheme of things, the closing of a controversial sub-forum seems minor in comparison.

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #176
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
RWood, I haven't been around as long as you but many of my experiences with MobileRead are similar to yours. Being a bit hesitant, I lurked for quite awhile before I worked up the nerve to join. The first time I was sent a Friendship request, I was thrilled! The information contained in MobileRead is invaluable, but the people who post here are a true gift. For those who are upset with the closing of the Conservatory, remember all the othe wonderful things that MR has to offer. In the grand scheme of things, the closing of a controversial sub-forum seems minor in comparison.

Kaz
Speaking of which, you should go to our NoVa meetup
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #177
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Speaking of which, you should go to our NoVa meetup
I wish I could, but the end of the school year is the most hectic time of the year in my household, even worse than the winter holidays.

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #178
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I've been a member for a little over a year. It's the only forum I really participate in and it's becoming quite addicting (I really should be working right now ).

Anyway, I just enjoy it here.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #179
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I've been a member for a little over a year. It's the only forum I really participate in and it's becoming quite addicting (I really should be working right now ).

Anyway, I just enjoy it here.
This is the only forum I really participate in also. Mostly because it technically works better than any other forum I have tested but also that the mood is goos and you do not just get answer like "search for yourself".
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #180
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
This is the only forum I really participate in also. Mostly because it technically works better than any other forum I have tested but also that the mood is goos and you do not just get answer like "search for yourself".
I like it here also, and I participate in NO other forum site. Never have. Probably never will.

But when someone from across the pond posted something once about going to the NEW FOREST and I'd never heard of it before, I asked what it was. To me, the name sounded like a term that the "locals" might use, like a "pet name" or nickname" of a place. Kind of like we might call McDonald's, Mickey D's, or WalMart, Wally World.

I received a response that said something like (I paraphrase) "Why ask here? Look it up yourself here" with a link to a Wiki page.

Oops. My mistake. The post was in the Lounge so I guess with all the joking around I didn't think to research it myself before asking. It sounded to me like a fictional place from the "Wizard of Oz" or something. Well, you don't have to tell me twice. I clicked the link.

I guess I was a bit taken aback at first because of the way the response was worded. It still upsets me a bit when I think about it. but I choose to believe that it was just a response pointing me to the answer, nothing more, nothing less. I'm sure it wasn't meant to indicate that I was being lazy and wasting everyones time by asking such a question here.

You gotta be careful not to read too much into posts sometimes.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote