Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #61
abrizz
Enthusiast
abrizz began at the beginning.

Device: none
The way I see it the problem is more that apple did create a standardized way of storing content, and that they don't let apps do whatever they want in regards to accessing storage.
Theirs standardized way is simply that apple can access the storage system but no one else.
abrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #62
mcastell
mcastell began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, ebookwise reader, hiebook, nokia 770
Can anyone compare the iPod Touch and the nokia N810 or nokia n77 as readers. I don't mean the limits of the sources for books for the Stanza and eReader and the FBreader on the nokias, but just the reading experience on the the two kinds of devices with their standard readers. Advantages for either device--Apple or Nokia?
mcastell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #63
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
The main problem with OS X on the iPhone and iPod touch is that there is no "finder", which is basically a necessity to access the file system.
Definately one of the things I really do no like on this platform.
There are, however, apps that allow sending files, so they act like a sort of "file directory".
Not sure if that's helpful for ebook readers ...
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:19 AM   #64
lander221
lander221 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi! This sounds really interesting. Not being able to download news is one thing I miss on my Cybook, and I am also thinking of getting an iPod Touch.My question: once you updated the news through your Wifi connection, can you read them offline also?
thanks for any suggestion
lander221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #65
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
I currently use RSSRunner to read rss. This has a nice interface, but doesnt download pics etc., I have heard that Pro RSS Reader by simon oualid is good too. These all allow you to read RSS offline.

Off late with iphone 3G prices really low(even 16gb), it is kind of a waste of money buying an itouch; an iphone without a phone plays a real good itouch...So considering getting a 16g iphone and cancelling the phone and pay a minimal penalty..
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #66
maxyn83
Enthusiast
maxyn83 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 13pm
I use Free RSS Reader to download RSS feeds. It works great and can work offline. AP Mobile is a great app to read news from technology, business, to world news and a lot more. It saves the news offline for about 7 days. Bloomberg is great for business news and stocks information. BBCReader works almost like AP Mobile.

There are more news apps and rss readers that works offline depending on what you like. Just search for them in iStore. You can download as many FREE apps as you like and try them out yourself.
maxyn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:10 AM   #67
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
Off late with iphone 3G prices really low(even 16gb), it is kind of a waste of money buying an itouch; an iphone without a phone plays a real good itouch...So considering getting a 16g iphone and cancelling the phone and pay a minimal penalty..
I wouldn't say the $175 early termination fee is minimal... Also, that's not the only cost associated with getting an iPhone.
Base Cost: $99 (3G 8GB, $499), $199 (3GS 16GB, $599), $299 (3GS 32GB, $699)
Tax: based on full/out of contract price of device
Activation: $30
1st Month's Bill: $70 (not including taxes)
Early Termination Fee: $175

That's an extra $275 before taxes if you get an iPhone. If all you need is an iPod Touch, I don't see any reason why you should pay significantly more for an iPhone. Another thing, buying refurbished iPods directly from Apple can save you quite a bit of money. Refurbished models look brand new and you get the same accessories and same warranty as buying new. The only difference is the packaging.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #68
grisjuan
Enthusiast
grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Tax: based on full/out of contract price of device
I think this might depend on where you live. The receipt for my new iPhone 3GS that I purchased on 27-June-09 in Maryland USA shows: $299 + $17.94 tax.

Another minor point is that the market for used iPhones is really strong. So in theory, if you had to break out of your contract, you could sell your phone on ebay/craigslist and get back enough to cover the $175 early termination fee with a hundred or two extra.
grisjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lander221 View Post
Hi! This sounds really interesting. Not being able to download news is one thing I miss on my Cybook, and I am also thinking of getting an iPod Touch.My question: once you updated the news through your Wifi connection, can you read them offline also?
thanks for any suggestion
I do have an 8GB iPod Touch for sale if you are interested.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #70
DonRobodroid
Paper?! Who needs paper?
DonRobodroid began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad v2, iPhone 3GS
Three days ago I got my iPhone which I bought for the following reason:
  • replace my withering old MP3 player.
  • incorporate two devices clanging around in my pockets into one.
HA! Three days ago I got my iPhone which I bought for the following two reasons:
  • replace my withering old MP3 player.
  • incorporate two devices clanging around in my pockets into one.
  • read mails, look up in Wikipedia whenever I want.
HA! Three days ago I got my iPhone which I bought for the following three ... Ah well... let's leave it at that.

Now imagine my pure bliss when I detected that there is an ereader app which without any hassle connected immediately to my ereader account and started downloading my complete bookshelf!!! The books in the bookshelf I wasn't able to read for a long time because my iLiad just doesn't have ereader support...

And while I agree with all eInk fans regarding the size of the display, I just couldn't help noticing all those good features I so dearly miss in my iLiad:
  • a decent dictionary function (mobipocket@iLiad sucks major ... here)
  • very readable fonts (mobipocket@iLiad sucks again)
  • all my good books, fully functional and readable without having to call The Dark Side for help
  • and the one and only, never (yeah, I know, a long time... ) to be bested by eInk devices, reason ever: being able to read in bed without having to deal with clumsy, heavy, ugly, unevely illuminating external light devices.
I really truly am happy. With both my devices I am able to read anywhere at any time. So I recommend an eInk AND an iPhone/Touch for the best reading experience possible (at the moment).

Ahhh, Shangri La!!!

Cheers,
- Don [:-]
DonRobodroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #71
DonRobodroid
Paper?! Who needs paper?
DonRobodroid began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad v2, iPhone 3GS
Did I mention
  • immediate page turning
  • no ghosting effects at all