Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
NightHunter
NightHunter began at the beginning.

Device: PRS950
Angry Sony PRS-T3

Sony PRS-T3 is not coming to the USA according to Sony.

Names removed for privacy.

Hi – I was just notified that the Sony PRS T3 is not coming to the US anymore. Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist with or if you’d like to consider other E-Reader options.

Account Manager, Sony Concierge
Sony Concierge| 10250 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90067

Sorry to bring the bad news.
NightHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
what!!! No........ I'm really considering replacing my 650 with T3.
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
NightHunter

I know right. I was kind of pissed, I'll ask them what other alternatives are available.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Drizzt321
Drizzt321 began at the beginning.

Well, it looks like any of the e-readers to replace my busted PRS-300 are not coming to the US, I'll have to import no matter which one I get Shame on you Sony for not bringing the T3 to the US. Just plain stupid.
Drizzt321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:54 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I can't believe this. I just got my T3 in Tasmania this afternoon; we are usually among the ones who have to do without or wait. It doesn't make any sense. And I know it's available in Canada.

I love it, by the way.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2013, 03:53 AM   #6
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Really!? I find that so hard to believe.
Today I emailed Sony New Zealand to ask when the PRS-T3 would be released here. I haven't found any mention of it on the web so far.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I can't believe this. I just got my T3 in Tasmania this afternoon; we are usually among the ones who have to do without or wait. It doesn't make any sense. And I know it's available in Canada.

I love it, by the way.
I'm glad that you get yours. Do you know if we can put unicode fonts on the T3?
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm disappointed to hear this! I was also considering getting one to replace my 650...I'll be sticking with my 650 for awhile now. Might consider adding a Kindle Paperwhite to my collection--waiting for the reviews of the new model to start showing up.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
Drizzt321
Drizzt321 began at the beginning.

So I just got off the chat with Sony, and got this:

Rep: I understand you are inquiring about the release of the PRST3 in the US. I have reviewed your concern with our technicians and we still do not have a date for the release of the Reader. Once released it will be posted on the SonyStyle website

Me: Will it be coming to the USA at all?

Rep: We do not have any information about the model yet, but it should be released in the US

So...in theory it will be. Sometime. Probably.
Drizzt321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
KNI
Connoisseur
KNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony PRS-650
I believe that concierge just gave you a "go away and don't bother me" answer. It makes absolutely no sense - Sony is NOT going to maintain two different production lines, one for the USA and perhaps certain other markets, and another with the updated reader for the rest of the world.

What Sony *is* doing it optimizing sales in markets where they are better received than in the States. And who could blame them? The US magazines and fan boys all dismiss Sony for not having the latest "cool" fad feature that most people will not use once they try it. In the mean time they are using the small USA market to sell off remaining PRS T-2 inventory.

Personally I love my T-1. I loved my PRS-650 and my PRS-505. It does exactly what I want. Calibre is the perfect companion. The Sony readers are reliable and give me a great reading experience. Who could ask for more?

Cheers

KNI
KNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNI View Post
I believe that concierge just gave you a "go away and don't bother me" answer. It makes absolutely no sense - Sony is NOT going to maintain two different production lines, one for the USA and perhaps certain other markets, and another with the updated reader for the rest of the world.

What Sony *is* doing it optimizing sales in markets where they are better received than in the States. And who could blame them? The US magazines and fan boys all dismiss Sony for not having the latest "cool" fad feature that most people will not use once they try it. In the mean time they are using the small USA market to sell off remaining PRS T-2 inventory.

Personally I love my T-1. I loved my PRS-650 and my PRS-505. It does exactly what I want. Calibre is the perfect companion. The Sony readers are reliable and give me a great reading experience. Who could ask for more?

Cheers

KNI
I can't see your point. Not saying it is wrong mind you, but why would they care if the reader is better received. The USA is still a much bigger market than Canada with 1234 million as opposed to 25 million people. (I am Canadian and live in Canada BTW)

I can't think of a better reason than yours though.
Possiblities:
Not enough stock.
Trying some sort of reverse psychology thing to make people demand Sony
Have a much better product in development/production which they will release soon.

Those ideas seem pretty lame though.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNI View Post

Cheers

KNI
Amen! My thoughts exactly, and I would only add that the T-1 dictionaries are great. Hope the T-1 doesn't wear out before the T-3 gets here...

Plumadona
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
I'm glad that you get yours. Do you know if we can put unicode fonts on the T3?
Sorry, I don't know; I'm still exploring. I'll get back to you if I find out.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:55 AM   #14
NightHunter

Problem is, the Concierge has no reason to give me a go away and don't bother me since, well.. it's a paid for service.

If need be I'll pick one up when I go abroad, but at this point I'm just irritated at Sony.

I love their readers I've had

505 that I kept until it practically fell apart, then I upgraded to a 950 and I'm keeping that until Hell freezes over.

I was hoping to get an idea about the T3 but as it is. Sony is getting in the way of their own success. Again.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:15 AM   #15
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I'm not sure how Sony even targets their markets. With the release of the T-1 I desperately wanted one and asked Sony if it would be released over here in South Africa. I was told that they don't consider us a viable market and that Sony ereaders won't be released here. Had to import my T-1 from the US.

Kobo has taken over the market here as the only alternative to the Kindle and from all accounts they seem to be doing very well.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote