Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-15-2023, 05:19 PM   #1
Ayayahri
Ayayahri began at the beginning.

Device: PW1,NPW
Question Documentation on book delivery mechanism ?

Hi all,

In light of recent difficulties with removing KFX encryption and download/transfer by USB becoming more restrictive and potentially disappearing altogether, I have brought my old Paperwhite 1 out of retirement as books delivered to it are guaranteed to be non-KFX and thus can be backed up with the DRM removed.

This made me wonder, has someone already looked into and documented how the OTA content delivery mechanism works ?

I would be interested in hacking together a way to spoof the PW1 to have azw3 content delivered directly to a computer in a way that doesn't rely on the continued health of my nearly 11 year old Kindle.

Cheers,
Ayayahri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 08:05 PM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayayahri View Post
Hi all,

In light of recent difficulties with removing KFX encryption and download/transfer by USB becoming more restrictive and potentially disappearing altogether, I have brought my old Paperwhite 1 out of retirement as books delivered to it are guaranteed to be non-KFX and thus can be backed up with the DRM removed.

This made me wonder, has someone already looked into and documented how the OTA content delivery mechanism works ?

I would be interested in hacking together a way to spoof the PW1 to have azw3 content delivered directly to a computer in a way that doesn't rely on the continued health of my nearly 11 year old Kindle.

Cheers,
That sounds fishy. While there is still a way to do it with the download and transfer via USB, you should do that instead. If you grab the book files off the PW1 directly, the book is no longer delivered as a one file KF8 book (unsure if that is a recent change or always been like that). Currently the plugin to merge a AZW3 and AZW6 does not work in its current state to even get the book without DRM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2023, 08:46 AM   #3
Ayayahri

Quote:
If you grab the book files off the PW1 directly, the book is no longer delivered as a one file KF8 book (unsure if that is a recent change or always been like that). Currently the plugin to merge a AZW3 and AZW6 does not work in its current state to even get the book without DRM.
I tested things with a book that came out on Jan. 29 and my PW1 still gets content that Calibre can import. The only downside is that the cover sometimes comes out in black and white.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:44 AM   #4
Ayayahri

Nvm the B&W images thing is exactly the issue with azw6 merging. I only read novels on the Kindle so color covers and images aren't exactly a huge deal. I might even look into the code for the azw6 plugin myself. Would be a good reason to de-rust my Python skills.
Old 02-16-2023, 04:28 PM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayayahri View Post
Nvm the B&W images thing is exactly the issue with azw6 merging. I only read novels on the Kindle so color covers and images aren't exactly a huge deal. I might even look into the code for the azw6 plugin myself. Would be a good reason to de-rust my Python skills.
If you use download and transfer via USB, you still get the one file azw3 KF8 file wich has all in color images (not as high resolution as the K4PC gets). The only limitation is that samples and KU borrows cannot be used for download and transfer. If you have an older than PW1 Kindle, you still get a one file KF8 (in color) even with KU borrows direct download on device.

As for spoofing the communication between PW1 and Amazon, you are very much on your own. The recent changes made by Amazon are most likely due to automated (mass) downloads from KU for pirate sites. The best you can hope for is maybe the AZW6 plugin for calibre to be made compatible to grabbing the book and images together. They would still be in b/w regardless.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert