Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #196
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Mine came yesterday. It's great except the hinge is misaligned. It is bigger at the top, resulting in it trying to close at an angle. So I can't just snap it closed, I have to make sure it's lined up at the corners. Annoying. I guess I should have just gotten the Gecko cover.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #197
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
My cover arrived just now. The hinge is even, unlike yours, and it closes correctly and shuts the light off. There is a little bit too much extra in the hinge though, so that if you fold the cover over keeping the hinge against the reader, the top cover will stick out a bit over the right edge of the reader. If they had made the hinge part a bit narrower, that wouldn't happen. You can push the top part of the cover back towards the hinge so it aligns though even after closing, which would probably happen just by sliding it into a pocket (or my very narrow small purse made just big enough to hold my reader).

But having it stick out a bit means it gives you a little bit extra to hold when opening the cover. As the magnet keeping it closed is pretty strong, it does help to have that little bit extra sticking out over the edge so I think that's why they did it.

But overall, I'm happy with it and I'll use it for now. The top cover isn't as sturdy (not as rigid) as the Gecko is, and I think it would be possible to apply enough pressure through the cover and crack the screen with this cover, while it would be pretty difficult to do that through the Gecko cover. It is lighter than the Gecko cover though (by 1/2 ounce only though, I checked, so it's not a huge difference).

If the Gecko Slimfit didn't have that flap, it would be the ideal cover for me.

Edit: I do not have the problem of the cover putting the reader to sleep when I fold the top back to read. I can't imagine what the differences might be to cause that. Or maybe some batches just had a stronger magnet used inside the top cover is my best guess.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 06-20-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #198
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Mine got here yesterday as well. I had to glue the magnet in. And put in a magnetic blocker to keep it from going to sleep when I fold the cover over to the back. But it's very pretty, and fits the reader perfectly.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #199
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Mine got here yesterday as well. I had to glue the magnet in. And put in a magnetic blocker to keep it from going to sleep when I fold the cover over to the back. But it's very pretty, and fits the reader perfectly.
Can you describe your magnetic blocker?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #200
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Well, it was the first thing I tried, but it worked... I grabbed a magnet off my fridge, one of those flat ones you get in the mail for advertisements... I just put it in between the e-reader and the case in the area of the magnet. It still goes to sleep if it's aligned just right, but it's rare. I thought of trying maybe a piece of aluminum foil folded up a couple of times, but it hasn't annoyed me enough yet.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #201
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I ran into a problem with this cover where the USB plug wouldn't insert fully into the reader, the bottom lip of the case was slightly in the way so the wider part of the plug wouldn't let it fully connect. So Windows usually didn't see the reader for more than a few seconds if at all, same with Calibre not ever seeing the device connected.

I filed down the edge of the cover with a Dremel rotary tool and now the USB plug fits perfectly. It's part of the hard plastic shell that you'll need to file down if you have the same problem I did. I just marked the area of the plug and removed the reader before doing the filing.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #202
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Received it last week, I had to put aluminium paper at the back to stop it from putting the Glo to sleep when I flip the cover. It's not as beautiful as the Kindle one but for that price I'm very happy with it. It fits well and I like it
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #203
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
I wonder... I like reading with the naked reader, and I was searching for a silicone cover, like this I had on the Nook, but I can't find any...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pink-Silicon...item3cc86cf58d
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #204
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I have a blue silicone cover and a natural color translucent silicone cover for my Kobo touch. Each cover was official sold by Kobo accessory. I do not seen these for sale anyplace now. They add minimum bulk to the reader but no screen protection. I cut .023 thick steel rectangle to fit between front of reader and front edge of silicone cover to add great screen protection and increase rigidity. Only down side is slow to remove steel rectangle to read.

Last edited by filmo; 11-22-2013 at 08:00 AM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:06 AM   #205
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
I have a blue silicone cover and a natural color translucent silicone cover for my Kobo touch. Each cover was official sold by Kobo accessory. I do not seen these for sale anyplace now. They add minimum bulk to the reader but no screen protection. I cut .023 thick steel plate to fit between front of reader and front edge of silicone cover to add great screen protection and increase rigidity. Only down side is slow to remove steel plate to read.
There are some for the Touch, and I'm wondering if it'll fit. I have a zippered neoprene slipcover that protects it inside my purse, so I don't have to deal with any kind of folded cover, and it protects the reader from this reader that loves to eat while reading
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #206
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Kobo Touch is 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches, 114mm wide 165mm tall.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:09 AM   #207
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
It doesn't seem as if any Glo covers are available over here in South Africa, so I guess I'll have to take a chance and order something from eBay. Not sure what to get though.

I found this one which seems similar to one posted earlier.

There's also this one which looks like it's the official Kobo Glo sleep cover. Which one of these would you guys suggest as best option?
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #208
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

The first one you linked is identical to the one I have, mine is just in navy blue (and I have a black one too, until I found the navy one). It's a great cover, it doesn't add much to the overall size of the reader at all (unlike the official Kobo cover which does extend past the corners, making it bigger than need be).

The worst thing to be said about that first cover is sometimes when flipping the cover back to read, the magnet will trigger the reader to turn off. Inserting a few layers of tin foil or anything really solves that easily without any problems.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #209
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
It doesn't seem as if any Glo covers are available over here in South Africa, so I guess I'll have to take a chance and order something from eBay. Not sure what to get though.

I found this one which seems similar to one posted earlier.

There's also this one which looks like it's the official Kobo Glo sleep cover. Which one of these would you guys suggest as best option?
I have the official sleep cover, and while it works great, the edges of the bottom are at least 7mm wider than the Glo. This makes it awkward for holding and so when in the house I take the Glo out of the cover. My backup Glo has this case which is only about 2mm wider. I'd use this case myself but since my husband uses the backup, it is better that he keeps the case on at all times.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #210
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Thanks for all the feedback. I've opted to go with the official one (it uses the plastic clips to keep the reader in place, right?) since the larger cover should come in handy to store my stylus with the reader. Now have to face the 4 week wait for it to arrive.

If that doesn't work out, I can always get the other one. Combined they are still cheaper than the normal Kobo Touch covers available here.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote