Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #16
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Actually with the Demos the storesa now use You Really dont get to see how they work or feel.. sucks
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #17
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
As do Office Depot and Office Max, J&R, MicroCenter, & Radio Shack. Probably others too, but that's what I can think of right now.
I didn't know Office Depot and Office Max were still operating.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #18
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I didn't know Office Depot and Office Max were still operating.
I don't know about Office Max but Office Depot seemed to operating fine when I stopped in my local store yesterday. FWIW, they're still selling Kindles.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #19
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
the obvious joke here is that it's because your average walmart shopper doesn't know how to read anyway, what use would they have for a kindle?
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #20
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
the obvious joke here is that it's because your average walmart shopper doesn't know how to read anyway, what use would they have for a kindle?
I was going to make this joke, but I didn't want the fallout. Thanks for taking one for the team.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #21
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
In my Walmart no one would know the kindles and nooks were there if they did not look for them. They have them locked away in the bottom of a display case. If you do find them, all you could see is the box they came from the factory in.

There is an ipad on display. Locked in a case so all you can do is look at it. You cannot play with it.

No wonder they are not selling.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #22
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Maybe we are a bunch of ignoramuses, but unlike the people shopping Neiman Marcus and Saks, at least we can read the price tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I was going to make this joke, but I didn't want the fallout.
Na, I don't deal in anything nuclear.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 09-20-2012 at 10:42 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #23
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I buy everything from Amazon. I haven't been in a retail store in 5 years. Who would buy a Kindle Fire HD in Wal-Mart anyway?

Amazon beats them all on price, delivery time and quality.

The one time I visited a Radio Shack store I saw a great ATT landline phone. I bought it from Amazon.

My wife reads detective thrillers at zero expense from Amazon. If she doesn't like one, we delete it and buy another zero expense ebook to replace it. Walmart sells no books for zero expense.

I like history and biography ebooks and can always scan a chapter before buying one. If our eyesight is failing, they even offer synced dramatic voice files now to accompany the eBook.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-20-2012 at 10:48 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I buy everything from Amazon. I haven't been in a retail store in 5 years. Who would buy a Kindle Fire HD in Wal-Mart anyway?
I buy Kindles at Walmart, because they're cheaper than Amazon. Also, I get them immediately as opposed to waiting up to a week for delivery.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #25
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
...Since there are enough Kindles in the wild now, just about every one knows someone with a Kindle.
I have never met another human being who has a Kindle. And the way I decided on my Nook instead of the Kindle was actually laying hands on one at a local store. I would never have bought one sight unseen.

With regard to WalMart in general, I love it. At the risk of seeming unsophisticated, if you can show me somewhere classier in my area where I can buy electronics, spa chlorine, an oil change and some really good New York strips, I'll kiss your ass on the courthouse steps and give you half an hour to draw a crowd. And we won't even discuss price.

Oh, and by the way, I've bought more than one gun, and a whole boatload of ammunition at WalMart over the years.

However, I'm admittedly just a redneck.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:13 AM   #26
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I've never had my ass kissed in front of the court house. This goes on the bucket list.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:25 AM   #27
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
In the days before Kindles were available in retail stores, many people complained that there was no way to see or try one out. Since there are enough Kindles in the wild now, just about every one knows someone with a Kindle. So it may not be as important to have a retail presence now.

But some people still want to buy some things locally. Not everyone buys into the "just send it back if you don't like it" argument, and some want to resolve problems or ask questions face to face. There are probably other reasons as well.
Well this obviously is true for USA. But in Europe you still buy a cat in the bag (so we say) and sending it back is costly. I really wish I could walk into a shop here and have a look at a Kindle. Paperwhite if possible. But maybe not, I would have bought it immediately so maybe it's good they are not available and not at hand (my credit card sighs with relief)
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:05 AM   #28
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Well this obviously is true for USA. But in Europe you still buy a cat in the bag (so we say) and sending it back is costly. I really wish I could walk into a shop here and have a look at a Kindle. Paperwhite if possible. But maybe not, I would have bought it immediately so maybe it's good they are not available and not at hand (my credit card sighs with relief)
Not sure where you are in Europe, but there are plenty of places here in the UK where you can see and play with Kindles before purchasing them.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:16 AM   #29
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Yeah, but it is limited to the UK I believe.
There is still a lack of reading material in non-English languages, particularly in backlists.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:28 AM   #30
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Not sure where you are in Europe, but there are plenty of places here in the UK where you can see and play with Kindles before purchasing them.
Belgium, Brussels. You'd think in a big city you would have a choice of all kinds of ereaders but they are not that popular. Mostly Sony and Bookeen.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote