Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #46
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1. OLED/AMOLED screen have active pixels that light up in different colors, like miniature light-bulbs. LCD screens have pixels that are opaque and change color, and then there is a backlight shining through all of them. In an LCD screen there are two ways of changing the brightness of the screen. You can make the screen pixels more opaque (that's what the bottom ScreenDim slider does) or you can decrease the intensity of the backlight (that's what the top slider does, and it's the better way to do it, as it improves battery life and helps with contrast) In an OLED-type screen, the only way to change the brightness of the screen is to lower the brightness of the pixels, so in principle the two sliders do more or less the same thing (but it's complicated because of how the screen drivers work--I don't have an OLED screen, so I can't test to see how exactly they work).

2. Yeah, LunarMap HD (paid, higher resolution) and Lite (free) is by me. I got into the dimmer business precisely because of amateur astronomy--even if one turns a screen red (on my Archos 43, I use ChainFire3D for that--but it does need root), one needs to dim the backlight when viewing dim objects or else one will have one's night-vision impaired. (No need to dim anything when viewing the moon. In fact, some people like to turn on their porch lights when looking at the moon through the telescope, so that there is less contrast between the very bright moon in the telescope and the darkness outside.)
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #47
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, does anybody need any more features in ScreenDim, or is it fine as it is?
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #48
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
So, does anybody need any more features in ScreenDim, or is it fine as it is?
If one were asking for a cherry on the top, then it might be useful to have different settings for different applications, and have ScreenDim automatically change to them as you switch applications. Whether that is actually worth the hassle of developing though...
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #49
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Posts here mention the current version of v 1.09. I just updated but it is only v1.07. How do I get v1.09?

Also, the button backlight feature worked on v1.05 and now it does not. I have obnoxious, full bright backlights and the option has no effect. (Droid X)

Last edited by Skydog; 04-24-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #50
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Posts here mention the current version of v 1.09. I just updated but it is only v1.07. How do I get v1.09?

Also, the button backlight feature worked on v1.05 and now it does not. I have obnoxious, full bright backlights and the option has no effect. (Droid X)
Mine is 1.07 also.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #51
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
1.09 is in Google Market(Play); in fact they keep prompting me to update because I've gone back to 1.08 on my PE. I've had 1.09 it since mid-February.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #52
pruss
Evangelist

I think I forgot to push 1.09 to Amazon. By the way, for Kindle users, 1.09 makes no difference--it improves layout on small screens. I am working on 1.10 right now.

I just added two options that are very minor but may save some tapping:
(a) Quick activate: If ScreenDim is off, and you do any brightness adjustment (loading a preset, moving a slider), it automatically turns ScreenDim on. Basically, just saves one tap.
(b) Auto brightness on disable: (Not on Kindle) Activate auto brightness whenever you disable ScreenDim.

I am thinking of having an option on the Kindle and Galaxy S2 (and perhaps eventually other devices, if users help me) where the two sliders get consolidated into one. Basically, the idea is that as you move the slider down from 100% to around 30%, it will be lowering the brightness to the minimum supported, and then as you move it from 30% to 0%, it will make things even dimmer by dimming the contrast. I really want this feature on my Galaxy S2, since the minimum brightness setting on it is very high, and I constantly have adjust both sliders.

By the way, if you haven't rated ScreenDim, ratings are very much welcome. (At least ratings by users who actually gave ScreenDim a serious try. I recently got a one-star review from someone who explicitly admits that he/she never even tried it, but is quite sure it can't work. And if things don't work for you, let me know, and I can do my best to help.)
Old 04-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #53
pruss
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I don't think I changed the relevant part of the code since 1.05. Can you email me ( arpruss at gmail dot com ), and we can experiment a little?

One glitch that I noticed on my Galaxy S2 is that I have to tap somewhere on the screen for the key light setting to take effect. Weird.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #54
pruss
Evangelist

I just finished making a beta of ScreenDim 1.10. The main new feature is Easy Mode which combines the two sliders into one. Currently, Easy Mode only works on Galaxy S2 (including Epic 4G Touch and other versions) and Kindle Fire. You can toggle Easy Mode with Menu | Settings | Easy Mode.

I would appreciate some thorough testing, especially of Easy Mode.

Last edited by pruss; 04-28-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #55
pruss
Evangelist

I just made a 1.10d beta, which fixes a bunch of things with Easy Mode and the Quick Activate options.

Reports, especially from Fire users, are very welcome.

Last edited by pruss; 05-01-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #56
pruss
Evangelist

And now in 1.10f, I fixed a bright flash that occurred when you went into ScreenDim via the notification. I really would appreciate some testing of 1.10f, because although the change seems minor, it could have seriously broken some function.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #57
pruss
Evangelist

By the way, I am adding Tasker support. Does anybody here use Locale? I had a two or three users request Tasker support but Locale support is not something people ask for.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #58
pruss
Evangelist

With enormous help from a patient tester, I managed to get ScreenDim running on the Nexus 7, and presumably on other Jelly Bean devices. The new version is in the Android Market.

While I was at it, I updated the theme to Holo on Android 3.0 and higher devices.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #59
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I just installed the root version on my Nexus 7. Nothing will make reading on a back-lit device as good as reading on my eInk one, but this makes a huge difference. Thank you.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #60
pruss
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I just installed the root version on my Nexus 7. Nothing will make reading on a back-lit device as good as reading on my eInk one, but this makes a huge difference. Thank you.
The root version doesn't adjust contrast--I am not sure it's quite good enough for dimming the N7, but then I don't have the N7. Note that if you set the text colors right in your e-reader app (assuming it allows fine adjustment), you can get the same contrast adjustment effect as ScreenDim gives, though.

As for eInk, I have the opposite opinion: nothing makes reading on eInk as good as reading on a back-lit device. To read comfortably on an eInk device, one has to turn on the lights or uncover a window. (Paper has the same problem, of course.) Tastes differ here, and there is no need to argue about it. :-)