Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #8641
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Finally finished the book club selection I've already been talking about (A Room with a View by E.M. Forster), and another Moonstone Graphic Novel, this one featuring one of my all-time favorite detectives, Pat Novac (from the old 1940's radio show starring Jack Webb (Novak) and Raymond Burr (his nemesis, Police Inspector Hellman), Pat Novak, for Hire. The name of the graphic novel is, well, Pat Novak, for Hire, and centers around the now aged and retired detective, who is currently in the care of his granddaughter, as he is spurred to re-open one of his old cases. It is classic Novac, with all the wonderful one-liners and on-going noir narration that you'd expect. It's written by Steven Grant, who obviously did his homework on the character.

The lines are classic Novak:

"Hellman had always been the giving type. Especially when it came to beatings and third degrees. He had his good points, too. But there wasn't enough bourbon in the Bay Area to bring them to mind."

"If San Francisco's a cesspool, Contra Costa's where it flushes into. Suicide's too quick for some people, so they move out here and stretch it out for forty or fifty years."

"It was a nice house, if you wanted to know where the skeletons were buried and didn't mind becoming one of them."

5 out of 5 stars. (As this is the second Moonstone graphic novel I've recommended in a month, I hope no one begins thinking I work for them! )

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-16-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Add 'r' to 'one-liners."
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #8642
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by januaryman View Post
I just finished Agatha Christie's Mysterious Affair at Styles. Surprising things that lady could do to plots! It was a quick but engrossing read.
I liked it too. It's surprising that it was the first novel she wrote or published.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #8643
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
If you liked the first book, you're going to love the rest of the series I can't take all the credit by the way, I started reading this series because Latinandgreek recommended them.

The Hunger Games was superb! I'm going to start the next one in the series (Catching Fire) tonight.
okay, then, since I don't find Maria's post anywhere in sight, K to you (wait, it's a long road for the K to reach you - it says I must spread more K to someone else first than come back to you later)

EDIT: oh Maria had responded before I submitted my reply! K to you, my friend
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:42 AM   #8644
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Monster Hunter Vendetta by Larry Correia
A fun romp through monster hunting. Well, I say 'fun'; it's not intended to be humorous, but it's so fantasical, it's hard to take it too seriously. If the equivalent violence was in a realistic drama, I probably wouldn't like it.

It's clearly setting up another sequel, but this book itself has a satisfying conclusion — it's not just one half of a bigger book.

And now the last 'new' book from my October 2010 webscription purchase: The Power of Illusion by Christopher Anvil

I've just finished the first short story in this anthology, and it was great. Eric Flint is to be commended for bringing Christopher Anvil's work back into print.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #8645
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Started on the last (3rd) book in the Hunger Game series.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #8646
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Moving towards the end of Shakespeare's Will - wondering what to follow this with ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #8647
Michael McLovin
Enthusiast
Michael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with others

Device: Desktop PC when i'm in the office pretending to work, kindle3
Kraken by China Mieville has been on my tbr list for months. Finally got around to reading it.
The language is a bit hard to follow but the story so far is good.
Michael McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #8648
smurfymom
smurfymom began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel 6"
Am reading Iron Queen but am not liking it that much
smurfymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #8649
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Started "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?". Enjoying it so far.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:41 AM   #8650
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I started Rabbit, Run - John Updike.... to say I've not read his rabbit books before now.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:41 AM   #8651
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
what are you rabbiting on about Kenny ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #8652
anijh
Connoisseur
anijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1e, Kindle Fire, and multiple iDevices
The Girl Who Played With Fire - Stieg Larsson
anijh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #8653
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Power of Illusion by Christopher Anvil
A splendid conclusion to Baen series of re-issues of Christopher Anvil's Science Fiction, including a new story written for this volume. Some of the stories have dated a little, but on the whole they stand the test of time very well.

Next: The Teeth of the Tiger by Tom Clancy.

Another I bought from Fictionwise some time ago, so it's about time I read it. It's the latest but one Jack Ryan novel, apparently concentrating on his son. If I like it I'll probably get the next one, Dead or Alive.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #8654
MarkAdair
Writer The Father's Child
MarkAdair is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!MarkAdair is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!MarkAdair is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!MarkAdair is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!MarkAdair is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!MarkAdair is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!MarkAdair is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!MarkAdair is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!MarkAdair is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!MarkAdair is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!MarkAdair is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
I'm reading Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and I'm about 3/4 through it. For the most part I'm enjoying it. More wordy than I expected but interesting story that is tying together nicely.
MarkAdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #8655
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Oh. My. I read this YEARS ago in paperback (my mom had it) and ADORED it. I had forgotten all about it until just now when you mentioned it. I HAVE to have this...
Awesome. I love it when readers get reunited with long-lost loved books. If you think you can hold out for a few months, there's probably a good chance that Gypsy Shadow Publishing, who's e-republishing most of Elizabeth Ann Scarborough's backlist, will participate in one of those Smashwords seasonal sales and offer 25% off their entire catalogue again (they also offer 25% for new buyers direct from their website, but they're PDF-only over there).

Thanks to you and BearMountainBooks also for the Vicky Bliss series reading order. Happily, the book I checked out last week is 2nd in the series so I can get started on it once I've finished at least one other required reading thing so I'm not completely slacking off my classes.

Speaking of which, finished reading Cleopatra 7.2 by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, sequel to Channeling Cleopatra. It turns out that these books were actually published by the Ace/Berkley imprint, and not a small press as I'd thought.

A nicely-done continuation of the story started there, with the personalities of famous historical figures being combined with those of donor hosts, and various corporate/ideological interests trying to take advantage of/stop the people involved for various reasons, and said people's attempts to thwart them.

This one goes a step further by having one of the historical personalities bond with two different hosts, and showing how the resulting blends are similar and differ, with alternate viewpoint narration being provided by one of the Cleopatras and her observations on the contrast between ancient and modern worlds (the rest of the book is 3rd person POV).

Tends a little towards the fantasy side towards the end, with the worldwide megaconspiracy and who's hinted at actually being behind it, but otherwise a nice light mildly thriller-ish sf-based action adventure caper. With bonus archaeology.

Mildly recommended if you're fond of such and have read the first book. Because you'd be kind of lost if you hadn't.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote