Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
ZacWolf
ZacWolf began at the beginning.

Device: stanza on iTouch, nook
Runtime Error: Windows 7

Howdy, new Sigil user.

Everything seems to have installed OK, but when I try to load an .epub doc, I get an error dialog:
Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sigil\Sigil.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
I'm running 64bit Windows 7. I even tried running the app in "compatibility mode", still no luck.

Any ideas?

THANKS!
-Zac Morris
ZacWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What version Sigil are you using?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
ZacWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What version Sigil are you using?
Version: 0.1.8
Loaded Qt: 4.6.0
Old 01-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
ZacWolf

I also reloaded the latest C++ distributable from Microsoft, and still the same thing.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacWolf View Post
I'm running 64bit Windows 7. I even tried running the app in "compatibility mode", still no luck.
First off, Sigil is developed on Win7 x64, so if there's any platform on which it will run without any problems, it's that one.

Quote:
I also reloaded the latest C++ distributable from Microsoft, and still the same thing.
Sigil installs the C++ redistributable as part of the installation process. But you say you can run Sigil without problems, but the error shows up when you try to load an epub document?

Sounds like a problem with the ZipArchive.dll... Something very weird is going on on your system.

Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features and list all the redistributables installed. They are all in this form: "Microsoft Visual C++ 200x Redistributable - <version string>". Post them all here.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
ZacWolf

Thanks Valloric,

Yes, the app starts fine, so I figured it was either library or possibly even the epub I'm using (created the Calibre). It will open a .lit file but all it shows is about 7 characters.

Looking at my Programs and Features is probably the problem:
Here is the list my system is showing:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.17
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.4148
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.21022
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148

Should I uninstall some of these?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!
-Zac Morris
Old 01-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
ZacWolf

OK, so I uninstalled ALL of the C++ Redistributables

I then went directly to Microsoft and downloaded the Redistributable files for x86 and x64.

I restarted my machine, and installed these two packages. App list now shows:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.17
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17

I then reinstall Sigil, and get the same behavior. I even downloaded an epub (vs one I created with Calibre), and still the same error.

I did a search for ZipArchive.dll on my system drive (C and I'm not finding the file... Is this something the C++ redistributable is supposed to provide, or something your install provides?

THANKS!
-Zac
Old 01-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
ZacWolf

From looking at the source, it looks like ZipArchive.dll is something provided by your installer. It looks like in the latest build this DLL isn't being built into the installer...

I looked and I couldn't find any previous versions to see if it was a part of those installers.

I'm guessing that it was, and thus anyone upgrading wouldn't run into this issue...

Thanks for the help!
-Zac
Old 01-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
From looking at the source, it looks like ZipArchive.dll is something provided by your installer. It looks like in the latest build this DLL isn't being built into the installer...
Sorry for leading you on a wild goose chase, but there is no ZipArchive.dll. There used to be, but I forgot I switched it to a static library (compiled into Sigil.exe) a long time ago. So there's nothing to look for.

Honestly I don't know what's causing this. It seems like it's a problem with the Visual C++ runtime side-by-side assemblies, but what exactly is going on, I can't tell.

Can you perhaps try building Sigil from source on your computer? If you don't get the error with the compiled exe but do with the downloaded one, then it's a packaging/installer problem on my end. If you get the error, then it's your machine.

If you don't have Visual Studio, you can get the command line compiler with the Windows Platform SDK. If you need help setting up this build system, just say so.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
Valloric

Serves me right for not fully reading your initial report... you quoted the error dialog saying this:
Quote:
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
That probably means that an unhandled exception was thrown. And the only thing that throws exceptions in Sigil is ZipArchive. It seems it couldn't read your zip file.

This could be a problem with the specific epub file, or a permission error. Calibre uses python's zipping utilities, and those can create bad zip files (I already had to create a workaround for such a problem).

Let's eliminate the epub file question. Download the epub file from this thread and try to open it in Sigil. I know for a fact this one works just fine.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #11
ZacWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Let's eliminate the epub file question. Download the epub file from this thread and try to open it in Sigil. I know for a fact this one works just fine.
That also threw the error...

Let me try building and see what is going on.

THANKS!
-Zac
Old 01-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #12
Valloric

Quote:
Let me try building and see what is going on.
There's no need to do that now that we know it's not a C++ redistributable problem. ZipArchive is throwing an exception, and it si throwing it because it can't open the epub.

Hm... are you using a localized version of Windows? That is, do you have a "My Documents" folder or some localized name for it?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #13
ZacWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Hm... are you using a localized version of Windows? That is, do you have a "My Documents" folder or some localized name for it?
Yes, I moved "My Documents" from the default /Users location to another drive with Raid5, via the Move Folder [Special Folders] option.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:05 AM   #14
Valloric

Quote:
Yes, I moved "My Documents" from the default /Users location to another drive with Raid5, via the Move Folder [Special Folders] option.
This could possibly be the issue then. I've changed the location of Sigil's temp folder from "<HomePath>/My Documents/Sigil" to "<HomePath>/Sigil", but after 0.1.8 was released.

Now do try building from source, but from the repository, not the prepackaged source archive.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #15
ZacWolf

OK, I followed the instructions at (installing all the apps it mentions):
http://code.google.com/p/sigil/wiki/BuildingFromSource

And when I run:
cmake -G "Visual Studio 9 2008" sigil

I'm getting:
I:\_DEV\src\Sigil>cmake -G "Visual Studio 9 2008" sigil
-- Check for working C compiler: cl
-- Check for working C compiler: cl -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: cl
-- Check for working CXX compiler: cl -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Looking for Q_WS_X11
-- Looking for Q_WS_X11 - not found.
-- Looking for Q_WS_WIN
-- Looking for Q_WS_WIN - found
-- Looking for Q_WS_QWS
-- Looking for Q_WS_QWS - not found.
-- Looking for Q_WS_MAC
-- Looking for Q_WS_MAC - not found.
CMake Error at I:/_DEV/CMake 2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindQt4.cmake:771 (MESSAGE):
It appears you're trying to use Visual Studio with Qt built by mingw
Call Stack (most recent call first):
src/Sigil/CMakeLists.txt:31 (find_package)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

Any advice?
THANKS for the help!
-Zac Morris