Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Affordable book scanning service?

Does anybody know about a affordable book scanning service where I can send a paper books for scanning?
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I have a horrible feeling that in many cases it would be cheaper to slice the spine off the book and run it through a scanner with a sheet-feeder.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
Does anybody know about a affordable book scanning service where I can send a paper books for scanning?
India!

Companies ship books and there are large number of small operations that do this type of work - scan and ocr. This is possible because large number of
people can 'read' and 'write' in English who are available for low cost.
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Yep, India. I recently heard an interview with the owner of a book scanning service in India. I think it was on NPR.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Thanks for this. I do not care about the spine and there is no need of OCR. India is great but is is a quite large country. Does anybody have more detailed directions?
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Lord Google provides...

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Prospect
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post
I always ask the lord before bothering the mortals with my enquiries.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 AM   #8
Prospect
Other

Teleread found what I were looking for: Blue Leaf Book Scanning.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:41 AM   #9
SILen(e
SILen(e began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Int.
Well, Blue Leaf Book Scanning charges 216$ for 10 scanned books with a total pagecount of 4000 pages.

I don't think it's worth it, for that money you could re-buy the books you'd want to have scanned as an ebook or buy/build yourself an own bookscanner.
SILen(e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:18 AM   #10
Prospect
Other

If I had the time (and a place to keep the thing) it would have been fun to build my own book scanner, but it would probably cost me more than USD 200 in material.

Only a limited number of books are available as ebooks today. In my country it is less than 1000. Further, books are quite expensive here with the ordinary price for a hardback being the equivalent of USD 60. Ebooks will probably be cheaper, but I do not know how much cheaper.

Last edited by Prospect; 01-04-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
If I had the time (and a place to keep the thing) it would have been fun to build my own book scanner, but it would probably cost me more than USD 200 in material.

Only a limited number of books are available as ebooks today. In my country it is less than 1000. Further, books are quite expensive here with the ordinary price for a hardback being the equivalent of USD 60. Ebooks will probably be cheaper, but I do not know how much cheaper.
Have you gone to instructables.com? They've got several articles on building/assembling your own scanner from 'found' material and a 6-10MP digicam. Here's one:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Quic...With-a-Camera/

It's really cheap when you consider that any middling-small tripod, clear sheet of plexiglas and you've-probably-already-got-it digicam will do.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #12
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILen(e View Post
Well, Blue Leaf Book Scanning charges 216$ for 10 scanned books with a total pagecount of 4000 pages.

I don't think it's worth it
Especially since it doesn't look like they do anything except scan and OCR. You would still have to proofread and correct the output, which tends to be at least 80 or 90 percent of the work.

PS. I think Opticbooks are running in the $200-300 range these days. I've gotten at least 60 books out of mine with no trouble yet (knocks on wood).

Last edited by wayrad; 01-04-2010 at 08:56 PM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
Prospect
Other

Quote:
Teleread found what I were looking for: Blue Leaf Book Scanning.
I have had the opportunity to test Blue Leaf and in my experience it is a great and affordable service. The staff are friendly and have been helpful in providing files that are easy to use with ereaders.

I once tried to order a paper book from Amazon.com with delivery directly to Blue Leaf quoting the order number from Blue Leaf in Amazon's gift note. It worked flawlessly. Since I did not need the paper this saved me both shipping and time since Amazon ships for free in the US and I am an international customer. In cases where no ebook version of the book is available this is now my preferred way to order books.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #14
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Those are very good prices if you only have a few otherwise unavailable old favorites you want made into ebooks, methinks.

Prospect, you've found BlueLeaf to be dependable?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #15
scampione
scampione began at the beginning.

Device: none
Concerning the Blue Leaf service...is the resulting ebook pretty much error-free ? After attempting to convert a PDF to mobi format, i found it, for the most part, unusable. Just wanted to ask someone who has actually used the service. Thanks in advance.
scampione is offline   Reply With Quote