Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Oh Great and Powerful Kobo Firmware Gods....

Was wondering if anyone had any idea on when a new and more powerful firmware might be forth coming? I know its a long shot but some of us are dying with all the random errors that are appearing lately... Its like an End of Days thingy.....

At any rate

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
nevermind. Hi Jack.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Don't be disturbed if you don't receive an actual answer from the "Kobo Firmware gods", because faith doesn't work that way...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:44 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Don't be disturbed if you don't receive an actual answer from the "Kobo Firmware gods", because faith doesn't work that way...
Hmmm... Been reading "The Holy Book of Universal Truth and other humourous anecdotes" again?

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:58 AM   #5
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nah. Previous experience with the Kobo Firmware god's workings have merely convinced me of the lower case g requirement, so far...
Old 05-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nah. Previous experience with the Kobo Firmware god's workings have merely convinced me of the lower case g requirement, so far...
Yeah I have noticed that as well. Sometimes though a well good stir of the pot is desired to bring overall flavor to the mix.

Regards

Jack
Old 05-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Yeah I have noticed that as well. Sometimes though a well good stir of the pot is desired to bring overall flavor to the mix.

Regards

Jack
Seems no one is expecting an official reaction of Kobos development team. Personally, I'm suprised that the Kobo Marketing Department didn't step in already (internally) for damage-control and protecting brand reputation and demanded certain actions to be taken to improve usability, flexability, user-friendliness of the devices, fix existing bugs and take serious notice of complaints posted on the internet about introduced features and seeking for solutions to improve 'm.
The Marketing Department must be aware that there are ongoing problems regarding the development of firmware updates as the number of bugs don't seem to go down (fast enough). And the most serious bugs are still not fixed.
I understand that bugs are part of a firmware cycle but I also expect those to be fixed a.s.a.p.

Last edited by Anak; 05-16-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
ttt...ttt... Kobo has a vision, and is totally focused on future improvements while carefully implementing its strategy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vision.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	105948  
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Seems no one is expecting an official reaction of Kobos development team. Personally, I'm suprised that the Kobo Marketing Department didn't step in already (internally) for damage-control and protecting brand reputation and demanded certain actions to be taken to improve usability, flexability, user-friendliness of the devices, fix existing bugs and take serious notice of complaints posted on the internet about introduced features and seeking for solutions to improve 'm.
The Marketing Department must be aware that there are ongoing problems regarding the development of firmware updates as the number of bugs don't seem to go down (fast enough). And the most serious bugs are still not fixed.
I understand that bugs are part of a firmware cycle but I also expect those to be fixed a.s.a.p.
I agree and would hope that Kobo steps up to the challenge of providing a more streamlined(?)/ stable approach to the issues at hand. On a whole the reader is still one of the best choices for reading. But I often wonder if the prevalence of the most serious errors are the result of inexperienced coders or just too many chefs in the kitchen. I think the best method to fix the issue is to fix the problem before moving on to additional features. Slower approach for sure to the evolution of the kobo reader but certainly smarter.

REgards

Jack
Old 05-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Absolutely true.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
The Marketing Department is the one making the decisions as to what features are added or removed from the firmware.

Taking 2.5.2 as an example, the developers didn't just decide to add the title to every page. The marketing people decided that they needed this, for some reason.

In general, the developers do what they are told. They may make tactical decisions, like where to store the cover images of books on the SD card, or when to generate/cache cover images, but something like the title display is not going to be originating with the developers.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Taking 2.5.2 as an example, the developers didn't just decide to add the title to every page. The marketing people decided that they needed this, for some reason.
I know marketing/business is behind some decisions but I have not heard anything about this particular decision that would indicate that they made it. Can you point to a source?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:19 AM   #13
TechniSol

Well, here's a shocker for you, but in business there's only one group ever ultimately at fault and that's management. Period, end of discussion. If marketing, public relations, engineering, accounting, software development, building maintenance, etc., whomever screws the pooch it still comes down to management one way or another. When you're running the show you have to take responsibility. I give the Kobo Koders their fair share of grief, but frankly whether merely incompetent or hands tied from above, you've got to lay the penultimate responsibility with management. If the coders couldn't do any better management should have weeded them out by now, if their hands are tied, management should've found a way to leverage what they needed or left them alone. But at the same time, you'd think almost any team with any pride would have fixed certain long standing issues, which makes me wonder if the things that have stayed broken are beyond their control in the hand's of third parties. Frankly, it's getting to the point that I seriously wonder. It seems like the last few firmware releases have been immediately followed by clean up versions within days of a release. That's just sloppy, and does not say much for the process employed.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I know marketing/business is behind some decisions but I have not heard anything about this particular decision that would indicate that they made it. Can you point to a source?
Anak used Marketing Department, so I used Marketing Department.

Replace Marketing Department with Management.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Well, here's a shocker for you, but in business there's only one group ever ultimately at fault and that's management. Period, end of discussion.

<snip>
And management have one overall responsibility - to make money.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote