Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 AM   #91
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Thanks, there are several interesting posts on your blog.

Have you tried Penultimate? The interesting thing about it is that it indexes your handwritten notes via the Evernote handwriting recognition, which from your blog I think might interest you. It doesn't work very well for me, but it might for you.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #92
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've frequently mentioned my preference for WritePad. I've tried the others, but just love the way it works on the iPad. Two caveats: (1) The OP of this thread, FlorenceArt, isn't quite as impressed as I am by WritePad, although the fact that Florence is French may have something to do with that opinion. WritePad seems to be optimized for English. (2) WritePad now requires iOS 6 for upgrades; meaning if you have a first generation iPad like I do, you won't be able to upgrade to the latest and greatest version. But I am amazed by its accuracy and ease of use and highly recommend it.

I bought my grandson a copy of WritePad for his Kindle Fire but wasn't nearly so impressed by the way it performs on that device. On the Fire, you need to write in a small text box and manually convert after writing one or two words. On the iPad you can use the entire screen for writing and it's converted to text on the fly. WritePad isn't perfect, and you still need to proofread the converted text for mistakes, but as you continue to use the program, those mistakes become fewer and fewer.
Jeeze, this is embarrassing. After checking my grandson's Fire to see if the WritePad app had been updated to something more useful, I discovered it didn't have the app. What I bought for him was Smart Writing Tool - 7 Notes Premium. My apologies. It's the Smart Writing Tool - 7 Notes Premium app for the Kindle Fire that disappointed me so badly, not WritePad. Not only have I not tried that one on a Fire; I don't believe it's even available for the Kindle. If it is, I haven't been able to find it in the store.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-14-2013 at 04:49 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:02 AM   #93
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Pento is sold for $2.99, but I would not recommend paying for it just yet. However the app is regularly offered for free, and that's how I got it. There is also a Pento Lite apparently, which I didn't try. I really like the look of the app. It has a "grabber" function that you can use to copy a web page to your notebook (as an image) and annotate it. But like Moleskine, it still needs a lot of work. The interface is sometimes clumsy or annoying (no undo button but a gesture which I can't be bothered to memorize) and essential functionalities are missing (auto-correct again). I don't see a lot of upgrades though, so I have to wonder if it will ever get to be worth the price asked. I hope so.
Pento is free today. As I said, it still needs a lot of work but (personally) I like how the app looks. Anyway, if anybody wants to give it a try, now is the time.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #94
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Thanks, there are several interesting posts on your blog.

Have you tried Penultimate? The interesting thing about it is that it indexes your handwritten notes via the Evernote handwriting recognition, which from your blog I think might interest you. It doesn't work very well for me, but it might for you.
Thanks! I've tried Penultimate and recently linked it to my Evernote, but I find it really impractical without a zoom box. I really hope they integrate that in the future, because being able to search your hand writing is just a fantastic concept.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #95
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Well, after all this time and although I keep trying new note apps (at least the ones that are free or cheap), Noteshelf is still my favorite. In my opinion it can't be beaten for pure handwriting pleasure. I have been using it to keep a kind of diary, which is something I had never done before.

But as I have been using my iPad as a work tool for a few months now, and it has replaced my note books, I am still trying to find the best app to take notes in meetings. I tried using Noteshelf but (1) I like to keep personal and professional apps separate and (2) my needs for professional notes are a bit different, I like to be able to import and annotate documents (usually MS office documents, but I convert them to PDF so that they can be imported and annotated), and also being able to index and search notes is a bigger issue than with a personal journal.

Lately I have been using Note Anytime. It's not perfect but it's free so anybody can try it and decide for themselves. It reminds me a lot of Notes Plus, but although it is not as rich in functionalities, it is much easier to use and less sluggish. I would like to use Notes Plus but it seems it can't handle a 70 pages notebook (that I exported as a PDF from Noteshelf): it's so sluggish I keep expecting it to crash. Which it has done repeatedly in the past actually. And the interface of this app is really a nightmare, I'm sorry to say.

So, back to Note Anytime, it has some of the great functionalities of Notes Plus but misses others. A definitive plus is the interface, which is clean-looking and relatively well thought out, although the tools palettes have a tendency to get in the way or change place when I don't want them to. What reminds me of Notes Plus is the lasso tool, which is very powerful: you can use it to select a word or phrase and change the color or line thickness, and of course move or resize it.

Another functionality Note Anytime shares with Notes Plus is the ability to import a PDF file and annotate it. And as I mentioned, it seems better at handling large PDF files without threatening to quit, or explode, or whatever.

The main weakness of Note Anytime is how it handles typed text. You can add typed text to a notebook but autocorrect is not active when typing, which makes it practically unusable for me. Another big problem is that there is no possibility to search for text. You can't even tag pages or bookmark them to find them later. And there is no handwriting recognition, which is not a big problem for me but would still be handy... if typed text was searchable, which it isn't so what would be the point anyway

Oh, and you can import photos of course, but also web pages which act as an image when in edit mode, so that you can annotate them, but become clickable when in view mode so that you can open the original link in Safari. Neat.

So if you don't rely too much on typed text and text search, I would recommend trying out this app since it is free. There are some in-app purchases that are not indispensable but some are nice. I bought additional ink colors, but the purchase is not forever as the ink level goes down as you use it, so eventually I may have to buy a refill, which is annoying but the price is not outrageous, so why not. More worrying, possibly, is that the app is linked to a cloud service which will probably at some time have a paid version, but hopefully the basic service will remain free.

Last edited by FlorenceArt; 04-11-2013 at 03:51 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:36 AM   #96
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread - I've been following, although not contributing as my notes requirements lean more towards annotations on images or rough sketches/working drawings, rather than straight-out handwriting. Currently love/hate with Notes Plus, and very grateful for your most recent find; I think it's Notes Anytime btw - certainly it's the one that seems like a slightly stripped-down Notes Plus! Amazing that they can produce something like this for free, albeit with in-app purchases for 'extras'...

Haven't played with the cloud options yet - hope it can auto-save rather than sync

Thanks again, Peter

Last edited by petermillard; 04-11-2013 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Lack of attention paid to original post...
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:51 AM   #97
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread - I've been following, although not contributing as my notes requirements lean more towards annotations on images or rough sketches/working drawings, rather than straight-out handwriting. Currently love/hate with Notes Plus, and very grateful for your most recent find; I think it's Notes Anytime btw - certainly it's the one that seems like a slightly stripped-down Notes Plus! Amazing that they can produce something like this for free, albeit with in-app purchases for 'extras'...

Haven't played with the cloud options yet - hope it can auto-be rather than sync

Thanks again, Peter
Oops, you're right about the name, I will edit my post.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #98
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I don't even own an iPad and find this thread interesting

Generally speaking I'm interested in what different tablets have to offer when it comes to handwriting.

My experience is limited to that of convertible laptops running full blown windows. That being said Microsoft put a lot of effort into there handwriting recognition and it works well.

Lately I've been glancing at the Galaxy Note and it's handwriting capabilities but I'm equally interested to hear the experiences of those who own and use there iPad with handwriting applications.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #99
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
I don't even own an iPad and find this thread interesting

Generally speaking I'm interested in what different tablets have to offer when it comes to handwriting.

My experience is limited to that of convertible laptops running full blown windows. That being said Microsoft put a lot of effort into there handwriting recognition and it works well.

Lately I've been glancing at the Galaxy Note and it's handwriting capabilities but I'm equally interested to hear the experiences of those who own and use there iPad with handwriting applications.
I really like the Journal app in Windows. Also the one that used to ship with Windows Mobile. They weren't really smooth to write on, but they had accuracy. I think if you like those apps, you would be happy with a Galaxy Note as the Android apps have that same simplicity to them.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #100
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Jot Stylus Pen Family seems to be a popular stylus both for iPad and Android. I went to there site to check out there different models and saw that they are releasing a new model (I saw that FlorenceArt was mentioning this stylus earlier in the thread):

Jot Touch: Pressure sensitivity + palm rejection.

I didn't know this was possible. I thought the pressure sensitivity and the palm rejection had to be supported by the tablet, like they've done with the Galaxy Note.

Here's a snip from there info-page:
Quote:
Jot Touch lets you rest your hand on the screen as you work. The only thing that will make a line is your stylus.
Quote:
Jot Touch delivers over 2,000 levels of pressure sensitivity.

Anyway the price ($90) seems kind of high, but if it works really well with the palm rejection I guess it might be worth it.

As for the pressure sensitivity this most be more appealing for people using the pen to draw. I can't see any added benefit for this function when it comes to writing. I would sooner expect it to be a nuisance. If I take a note I don't want the text to come out with different thickness depending on how hard I press the pen.

Do you feel the need for built-in palm rejection from the pen if it's supported by the app?

I didn't see this at first but on Adonit's main-menu they have a section called Jot Ready Apps that lists the iPad apps compatible with the Jot pens.

Last edited by thinkpad; 04-13-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #101
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
I didn't know this was possible. I thought the pressure sensitivity and the palm rejection had to be supported by the tablet, like they've done with the Galaxy Note.
The pressure measurement is done by the stylus itself.
It communicates the readings back to the tablet by BlueTooth.
So it will only work with apps that specifically support this device.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #102
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The pressure measurement is done by the stylus itself.
It communicates the readings back to the tablet by BlueTooth.
So it will only work with apps that specifically support this device.
So if Adonit comes out with the new pen with palm rejection it's not up to the pen alone, the application used with the pen must implement the support.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #103
thinkpad
David

Here are the handwriting apps that Jot claims to support:
* NoteShelf (PS support)
* WritePad (PS support)
* Soonr Scribble (PS support)
* Clibe (PS support)
* PDFpen (PS support)
* Notes Plus
* Note Taker HD

All the above apps support the Precision disc but not all support pressure sensitivity (PS). To read more about the individual apps and its support for the Jot go to: Jot Ready Apps

I guess Adonite will have to modify the list once palm rejection support gets added to some of the apps.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:00 AM   #104
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Thanks for the info. So the Jot Touch is finally out?

Most good handwriting and drawing/painting apps simulate pressure sensitivity by linking line width to stylus speed, usually in inverse relation: slower stylus, thicker line, faster stylus, thinner line. It works fine for handwriting, but it's not always optimal for painting.

So a pressure sensitive stylus would be a nice plus. Although personally, I like drawing and painting on my iPad but I still do the "serious" stuff on my Mac, and that's not just because I have a pressure-sensitive Wacom tablet, but mostly because of the differences in terms of processing capabilities, screen size, and apps available.

But I grew tired of waiting for the Jot Touch and bought a "normal" Jot stylus, and it didn't work for me. The sound the disk makes when it hits the screen, which can be once or twice per second, makes me cringe (at least internally), and if the disk is not perfectly aligned with the screen, which in my case happened rather often, it just doesn't write. So I guess I'll pass on this one.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:09 AM   #105
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

And about palm rejection, there is certainly a need in that department. In my opinion the only two apps that do it right are Bamboo Notes (almost perfect) and Noteshelf which has a simpler solution similar to other apps, with the difference that the palm rest zone moves down automatically as you write. Penultimate also has palm detection but it doesn't work as reliably as Bamboo's.

I would certainly be interested in a rubber tip stylus with built-in palm rejection, if it was supported by my favorite apps. But there are so many apps, and new ones every day, it seems a bit like a losing battle...