Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #76
tarzanphan60
Enthusiast
tarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Nook Color, Tablet, HD, HD+
I am part of an app development team called 5ivedom in the Nook store and we have found that there are many times when the reviews on our apps (particularly the negative ones) are written by other developers who are not playing ethically and choose to post fake reviews. From that, I have developed a somewhat jaded point of view of negative reviews of any product - because I believe they are either written by the minority who might have had a negative issue, by the uninformed who don't take the time and effort to understand how to work an app, or by those who feel it is better to knock down a good product than to work harder to create better products on their own.

Similarly - I quit even looking at the Free Android App of the Day in the Amazon store because I could not believe the number of reviews from people slamming the product because it was not what they wanted. It was free people! Either be gracious and enjoy it or delete it if it does not meet your needs.

In my opinion, it is the average score that is the best indicator of the quality of a product.
tarzanphan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #77
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Most product reviews on most websites are useful and helpful - although yes you do have to apply an idiot filter. The people who take time to post reviews are doing the rest of us a favour.

If you don't find reviews useful don't read them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Next one:
Amazon Germany, Kinde Fire HD.
2 out of 5 stars:
"Kindle Fire HD is crap. I loved it. But then I've got a bill of 30 Euro. My 5 year old son bought some add-ons via in-app purchase in a game. Total crap. I wouldn't buy Kindle Fire HD again for this total rip-off."
This guy got 5 replies. All stating "it's about the game, has nothing to do with the Kindle".

I really (as so often) don't get it.
How is it Amazon's responsibility, if someone doesn't check a game before handing it to a 5 year old?
And how is a game Amazon's responsibility anyway?
Next time, this 5 year old probably buys an erotic book and again Amazon is to blame?
If it really is the case that you can make an in-App purchase without entering a password then yes that would be a cause for a legitimate complaint. And something other parents would find useful to know.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:05 AM   #78
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Next one:
Amazon Germany, Kinde Fire HD.
2 out of 5 stars:
"Kindle Fire HD is crap. I loved it. But then I've got a bill of 30 Euro. My 5 year old son bought some add-ons via in-app purchase in a game. Total crap. I wouldn't buy Kindle Fire HD again for this total rip-off."
This guy got 5 replies. All stating "it's about the game, has nothing to do with the Kindle".

I really (as so often) don't get it.
How is it Amazon's responsibility, if someone doesn't check a game before handing it to a 5 year old?
And how is a game Amazon's responsibility anyway?
Next time, this 5 year old probably buys an erotic book and again Amazon is to blame?
Amazon should not publish these kinds of reviews. They're not helpful and aren't relevant to the product itself.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote