Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #46
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
OK... before you get your hopes up... they don't have it for sale. Only for display.

Bic Camera, to the west if Kyoto Station, had both the Kobo Glo and the Kobo touch on display, but only the Kobo Touch for sale. After consulting with three sales clerks and phone calls by two managers, they haven't a clue when they will be getting the KoboGlo for sale nor at what price... This is Japan at its most common. They also have Kindle and two different Sonys for sale. All of these can be found on the fourth floor of this store.

Continuing my walk north, I discovered another Yodobashi Camera that I didn't know existed (to the chagrin of my wallet... $90 gone in a flash!) Their e-readers are on the first floor, but they only have Sony, and no one knows anything about getting Kobo.

I don't know when you are planing to be in Japan, but it's possible that Bic Camera may have some within the next year or two...

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KoboGlo1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	96873  
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:45 AM   #47
silverspear
Connoisseur
silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

I don't know when you are planing to be in Japan, but it's possible that Bic Camera may have some within the next year or two...

Stitchawl
Whahahaha!!! I'm having a stitch reading this. =) Thanks so much for checking it out nevertheless!

ps: do you speak japanese? you sound like you do!
silverspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #48
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspear View Post
Whahahaha!!! I'm having a stitch reading this. =) Thanks so much for checking it out nevertheless!

ps: do you speak japanese? you sound like you do!
I can speak enough to ask questions. Unfortunately, not enough to understand the answers... But I've lived here 25 years and manage to get by.

Stitchawl
Old 11-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #49
d.sangria119
d.sangria119 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Got mine at Joshin -- I know they have them. Satisfied with it except... for one overly bright pixel on the left side of the screen. It's outside most reading margins so I don't mind, and I usually forget it's there, but I am too lazy to replace it (I think I have about a year?).

Looking for accessories, maybe this Tuesday I will go to Yodobashi Umeda. The Joshin I went to had none in stock except for Kobo Touch accessories.

25 years is more than my lifespan. I think you are just being modest.

By the way, Nishinomiya is closer than Kyoto to Umeda (depends on where in Nishinomiya ofc) and that is where I bought mine. (I live in Kobe.) I could probably just as well have gotten one in Sannomiya.

Last edited by d.sangria119; 11-30-2012 at 07:50 AM.
d.sangria119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #50
silverspear
Connoisseur
silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm now in Osaka! I managed to find bic camera yesterday in shinsaibashi displaying the Kobo glo and the kindle paperwhite.. I bought the paperwhite, cos the Kobo was completely sold out. but I still want to get the Kobo, so will be heading down to Joshin at den den town later today..
Old 12-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #51
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
I'm now in Osaka! I managed to find bic camera yesterday in shinsaibashi displaying the Kobo glo and the kindle paperwhite.. I bought the paperwhite, cos the Kobo was completely sold out. but I still want to get the Kobo, so will be heading down to Joshin at den den town later today..
Hmmmm... I wonder if it was you I saw yesterday at Bic Camera? I was there buying some stuff for my iPhone. But when I asked upsairs about the Kobo Glo, they told me that they still hadn't received any for sale! But then, this is Japan...

Stitchawl
Old 12-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #52
silverspear
Connoisseur

Quote:
Hmmmm... I wonder if it was you I saw yesterday at Bic Camera? I was there buying some stuff for my iPhone. But when I asked upsairs about the Kobo Glo, they told me that they still hadn't received any for sale! But then, this is Japan...

Stitchawl
i wish i saw you, so that i could say hi.

great news! i found my kobo glo from the joshin denki outlet in den den town. the whole place was desserted when i was there.. how do they even make ends meet?

anyway, i just set it up, and found that they insisted i use a rakuten id to register the kobo glo, instead of my kobobooks.com username.... and with that i cant even access the books i bought on kobobooks.com! anyone knows how to download my previously purchased books from kobo,directly onto my kobo?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #53
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:

great news! i found my kobo glo from the joshin denki outlet in den den town. the whole place was desserted when i was there.. how do they even make ends meet?

anyway, i just set it up, and found that they insisted i use a rakuten id to register the kobo glo, instead of my kobobooks.com username.... and with that i cant even access the books i bought on kobobooks.com! anyone knows how to download my previously purchased books from kobo,directly onto my kobo?
Perhaps do a factory reset and then register it again but with your Kobo username?
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #54
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:

Hmm that's one of the things that I was concerned about for the Japanese Kobo. I know they tried to make me switch to a Rakuten ID just to log onto the website in Japan. Fortunately now you can choose other login options. Please let us know if you can find out a way to register without making a Rakuten ID.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #55
silverspear
Connoisseur

I'm purely guessing that they require a Rakuten id because the Kobo detected that I'm registering wirelessly from within Japan.. it's the same with the Kobobooks.com website.. right now at the Osaka hotel where I'm at, when I try to visit Kobobooks.com, I'm also redirected automatically to the local Rakuten website and asked to log in with my Rakuten account instead...

and I'm also gonna make an intelligent guess that I might be able to setup the glo with my Kobo account only when I leave Japan to go back home.. I definitely will try this when I return on Friday, but I'm wondering if other people will have any prior experience over this..
Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #56
delphi19
delphi19 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
But I've lived here 25 years and manage to get by.
Stitchawl
Just a quick question if I may (hope others don't mind me being a bit OT).

My in-laws are coming from Japan for Christmas and I've been thinking of asking them to buy a Sony PRS-T2 over there so I can use the built-in Japanese dictionary on it.

Do you happen to know if the system language is changeable to English? Also, I'm going to use it mainly for reading library books (using OverDrive for public library books here in Perth, Australia) - the Australian version has a built-in app for that - is it still there in a Japanese version?

Thanks in advance,
delphi19

Last edited by delphi19; 12-06-2012 at 09:18 PM.
delphi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:01 AM   #57
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphi19 View Post
J
Do you happen to know if the system language is changeable to English?

I was in Bic Camera in Osaka this afternoon, playing with the e-readers they are now selling. I found Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, three different Sony models, and a Kindle.

I had no difficulty changing the system language to English in any except the Kindle. I couldn't find the system settings in that... The Kobos and the Sonys were easily changed.

Stitchawl
Old 12-07-2012, 02:54 AM   #58
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Really? I couldnt figure out how to change the Sony to English. Are you sure you don't mean that the Kobo and Kindle are easily changed? I think the Kindle's are in demo mode which don't let you go into the tools section.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:20 AM   #59
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Really? I couldnt figure out how to change the Sony to English. Are you sure you don't mean that the Kobo and Kindle are easily changed? I think the Kindle's are in demo mode which don't let you go into the tools section.
Nope! I had no trouble with the Sonys... and I played with two different models. I use a Sony 505 myself, and bought a Sony PRS-650 for my wife. There is a setting for Languages in the tools menu that lists quite a few different ones. Today, all the readers were set up in Japanese when I got there, and I had to change them to English so I could explore the various options.

Stitchawl
Old 12-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #60
delphi19
delphi19 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
The Kobos and the Sonys were easily changed.
Stitchawl
Thanks, very much appreciated. Do you use OverDrive for your Sony (is supposed to be 'built-in' in the latest PRS-T models) ones at all? Also, if you were to buy a new ebook reader (I'm new to eReaders) would you choose Kobo Glo or Sony PRS-T2? I understand Kobo Glo has a better screen resolution but then Sony has a better Japanese/English Dictionary?

Last edited by delphi19; 12-07-2012 at 06:12 AM.
delphi19 is offline   Reply With Quote