Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Useless Statistics

The point of this thread is useless statistics. Well, and to maybe find some new books and authors to read.

I was looking through my list of books read this year on GoodReads and just love all the statistics available. So show me what you've read this year and how popular/unpopular it is. I'll go first as an example:

Popular - most ratings:
Twain, Mark - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (565,982)
Huxley, Aldous - Brave New World (395,044)
Zusak, Markus - The Book Thief (199,383)
Palahniuk, Chuck - Fight Club (105,128)
Gaiman, Neil - Neverwhere (79,935)

Unpopular - fewest ratings:
Tredinnick, Luke - Why Intranets Fail (And How to Fix Them) (1)
Resmini, Andrea - Pervasive Information Architecture (6)
Elkin, Stanley - Van Gogh's Room at Arles (43)
Galloway, Steven - Ascension (70)
Bidini, Dave - Tropic of Hockey (80)

Best book - highest average rating:
Resmini, Andrea - Pervasive Information Architecture (4.50) (5)
Zusak, Markus - The Book Thief (4.33) (4)
Pratchett, Terry - I Shall Wear Midnight (4.30) (4)
Pratchett, Terry - A Hat Full of Sky (4.23) (4)
Neufeld, Gordon - Hold on to Your Kids (4.20) (4)

Worst book - lowest average rating:
Taylor, Arlene G. - The Organization of Information (2.73) (2)
Tredinnick, Luke - Why Intranets Fail (And How to Fix Them) (3.00) (3)
Wells, H.G. - In the Days of the Comet (3.24) (?)
Elkin, Stanley - Van Gogh's Room at Arles (3.33) (3)
Yu, Charles - How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe (3.34) (5)

I put my ratings in the second set of brackets for comparison purposes.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
It took me a bit to figure out how to show some of the categories you used, but here they are:

Popular - Most Ratings: Here are the top 10
  • The Wheel of Time books 1-4 by Robert Jordan (at 38k to 68k ratings)
  • The Bourne Supremacy by Robert Ludlum at 35k ratings
  • A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle at 32k ratings
  • The Wheel of Time books 0 and 5-7 by Robert Jordan at 15k to 30k ratings
Least Popular - Fewest Ratings:
  • An Apple a Day Keeps the Dragon Away (Break Bites) - Sistla, Amber D. - 3.00 - 2 ratings
  • Phineas - Gellene, Joseph - 3.00 - 2 ratings
  • Going Somewhere Else - Sistla, Amber D. - 2.67 - 3 ratings
  • Street Music - A Phineas Troutt Short Mystery Story - Kilborn, Jack - 3.54 - 13 ratings
  • The Senex - Ambrose, Jeff - 3.13 - 15 ratings
Best Book highest average rating: I enjoyed all of these a lot too.
  • Wool - Hugh Howey - 4.51 (5, I actually read them separately, but they would be numbers 1, 2, 3, 6, and 7 if I didn't combine them)
  • Transfer of Power - Vince Flynn - 4.23 (4, number 4 on my list)
  • The Dark Elf Trilogy - R.A. Salvatore - 4.28 (5, I read these separately, but like Wool these would fill up the rest of the list if I didn't combine them, numbers 5, 8 and 9 when separated)
  • The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan - 4.14 (4/5, books 1-4 of this series are numbers 10-13 of my overall, so again they were combined)
  • See above, the exact same books as the "Least Popular", ratings shown below.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
>>Resmini, Andrea - Pervasive Information Architecture<<

My real job! Do you do IA? Do you do multi-channel stuff? How did you like this book?

Sorry for the hijack!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Ooh, good idea!

Most Ratings
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) - Larsson, Stieg (438,564)
The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium #2) - Larsson, Stieg (209,287)
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium, #3) - Larsson, Stieg (164,934)
Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10) - Butcher, Jim (19,845)
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11) - Butcher, Jim (17,170)

Least Ratings
Ten Past Midnight - Toombs, Jane (2)
At The Millionaire's Request (Silhouette Special Edition #1769) - Southwick, Teresa (6)
The Farmer Takes a Wife - Gale, Barbara (7)
The Mission - Marquis, Michelle (7)
Abby's Last Stand - Marquis, Michelle (7)

Highest Average Rating
Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool, #1-5) - Howey, Hugh (4.51) (5)
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11) - Butcher, Jim (4.41) (5)
Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10) - Butcher, Jim (4.40) (4)
Ice Age - Rowan, Iain (4.29) (4)
I Held My Breath as Long as I Could - Kelly, Kristopher (4.19) (4)

Lowest Average Rating
The Farmer Takes a Wife - Gale, Barbara (2.71) (3)
Mastering Chaos - Marquis, Michelle (2.82) (3)
At The Millionaire's Request (Silhouette Special Edition #1769) - Southwick, Teresa (2.83) (4)
Ten Past Midnight - Toombs, Jane (3.00) (3)
Abby's Last Stand - Marquis, Michelle (3.00) (4)
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Well you know what the first author on that list said, right?

"lies, damn lies, and statistics"
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Why not!

Popular - most ratings:
Bradbury, Ray - Fahrenheit 451 (374,950)
Wells, H.G. - The Time Machine (66,028)
Ishiguro, Kazuo - The Remains of the Day (34,395)
Fitzgerald, F. Scott - Tender is the Night (27,764)
Hearn, Lian - Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, #1) (9,982)

Unpopular - fewest ratings:
Black, John - Work Of Art (1)
Carroll, Lewis - Cthulhu in Wonderland (5)
Evans, L.C. - Night Camp (11)
Mardoll, Ana - Pulchritude (14)
Arnold, Joel - Northwoods Deep (16)

Best book - highest average rating:
Howey, Hugh - Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool, #1-5) (4.51) (5)
Evans, L.C. - Night Camp (4.27) (4)
Logan, John A.A. - The Survival of Thomas Ford (4.17) (4)
Jordan, Steven Lyle - Verdant Skies (4.12) (4)
Pierce, Meredith Ann - A Gathering of Gargoyles (Darkangel Trilogy, #2) (4.08) (4)

Black, John - Work Of Art (3.00) (3)
Pepper, Adam - Symphony of Blood: A Hank Mondale Supernatural Case (3.12) (3)
Chabon, Michael - The Final Solution (3.26) (4)
Guin, Ursula K. Le - Rocannon's World (3.55) (3)
Miéville, China - Kraken (3.55) (4)
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I guess you guys above have not read Harry Potter or Twilight! Those are my most popular, with over 1 million ratings apiece.

As for the ratings, I find the "outliers" very interesting: where I have rated a book very high and the average rating is very low, or vice versa. My outliers:

Divergent by Veronica Roth: 2 stars by me, 4.39 avg
Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing: 4 stars by me, 3.12 avg. I loved that book and I don't even like chick lit very much. I see a lot of people were really annoyed by it.

None of the books my list have less than 3 stars average. Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing was the lowest rated on my list (sad!). The next two lowest with 3.13--The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender and The Vintage Caper by Peter Mayle--I also really hated.

My least-rated book is Echoes from the Macabre by Daphne DuMaurier which I believe is out of print.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^I was just checking the books I read this year so far.

Totally agreed on the outliers being the most interesting.

Apparently Charles Yu's How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe is a pretty poor book, rated at 3.34 when I gave it a 5. I thought it was clever, entertaining and a bit goofy. Everything I love in a book like that.

I'll have to check for other outliers. I know I've got some doozies there somewhere.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well you know what the first author on that list said, right?

"lies, damn lies, and statistics"
An equally useless fact: although Mark Twain popularised the phrase, he didn't claim to have invented it. As Wiki says:

Quote:
Mark Twain popularized the saying in "Chapters from My Autobiography", published in the North American Review in 1906. "Figures often beguile me," he wrote, "particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'"
"Disraeli" of course refers to the British Prime Minister, Benjamin Disraeli. Although, interestingly, the phrase hasn't been found in anything that Disraeli wrote.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Disraeli" of course refers to the British Prime Minister, Benjamin Disraeli. Although, interestingly, the phrase hasn't been found in anything that Disraeli wrote.
There's a great page on it here. It seems to have originated in the 1880s or very early 1890s, but no-one has found a definite source.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I am kinda bummed this thread didn't make it very far, so I am going to bump it.

I have only been keeping decent records of my reading for 2011 and 2012 (since I got my Kindle), so it would be much more work for me to get this information for all the books I have read.

To add some content, I re-read the Hitchhikers "trilogy" (375k ratings to <30k ratings) last year and read the Hunger Games trilogy (900k ratings to 500k ratings), which have the most ratings of the books I have read since starting to keep track.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-31-2012 at 05:43 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In my list at Goodreads, the best rated book there is...

Star Trek: Vanguard: Storming Heaven by David Mack (4.56)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...torming-heaven
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote