Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #136
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Firmware update (or "update firmware") is an app in the app drawer.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #137
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
It was only a software update, not a firmware update.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #138
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
There was no new firmware update this time.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #139
Pose
Pose began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
There was no new firmware update this time.
Here's my firmware:

Build number:
imx51_bbg-eng 2.3.3 GRI40 eng.
CAN.20111027.172304.39765 test-keys

That seems really old compared to everyone else, is there a way to update this?

By the way sorry when I go to Firmware Update it says it is updated.

Last edited by Pose; 03-07-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Pose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #140
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pose View Post
Here's my firmware:

Build number:
imx51_bbg-eng 2.3.3 GRI40 eng.
CAN.20111027.172304.39765 test-keys

That seems really old compared to everyone else, is there a way to update this?

By the way sorry when I go to Firmware Update it says it is updated.
The build is the system, or software update. Since your October 27, 2011 build there were ones dated November 17, 2011, December 19, 2011, March 1, 2012.

What happened that you didn't get any previous updates? If your WiFi is on when you power up after any update is released, you ought to get notified to download it.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #141
Pose
Pose began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
The build is the system, or software update. Since your October 27, 2011 build there were ones dated November 17, 2011, December 19, 2011, March 1, 2012.

What happened that you didn't get any previous updates? If your WiFi is on when you power up after any update is released, you ought to get notified to download it.
Yea it does say I have an update, and I've tried multiple times and the method above to update and it goes through the whole process but nothing is actually ever updated once I boot it back up.

I don't know, I honestly think I have a developer device or something. My capacitive buttons at the button glow blue... I've never seen anyone else's Vox ever do that.
Pose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #142
gddeluca
gddeluca began at the beginning.

K080 not recognized

Hi,
After a lot of mucking about, interrupted by the Mar 2 update, I have my Vox rooted and the Marketplace (now Google Play) app installed. However apps I would like to install (like my bank's mobile app) will not install because Google says it doesn't recognize the K080 device.

Is this fixable? Can the Vox mask it's ID and look like some other device?

Or is this as good as it gets? It was a lot of work to get this far and then find out I still can't get the apps I want.

George
gddeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #143
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
You can sideload the app from another android device. But clearly the app is claiming it has some hardware requirement that the vox does not support (gps? I don't know, you didn't say what the app is)
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #144
gddeluca
gddeluca began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
You can sideload the app from another android device. But clearly the app is claiming it has some hardware requirement that the vox does not support (gps? I don't know, you didn't say what the app is)
I did say it was my banks mobile app. After a ton of searching for the app (most links simply end up pointing back to the Android Marketplace) I did manage to find it at www.1mobile.com. It loads and runs just fine since all it needs is web access.

So why is Google Play so fussy? I've downloaded other apps from it, including paid apps, so why is it so totally hung up on this device ID being 'known' or not.

It effectively won't even tell me it exists, even though I KNOW it's there. It is rather a ludicrous position to take. If it somehow is not compatible with my device, it just won't install/work, why not let me try and suffer the consequences?
gddeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #145
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Blame your bank's devs, not Google Play.

And maybe before downloading bank apps from shady places (basically everything else than your bank) think about what a person who knows how to decompile and recompile an apk could do with all your bank data.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #146
terranq
terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Has there been any progress in getting a working recovery, or even better, a custom rom for the Vox?
terranq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #147
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
There's a thread in here somewhere with the original firmware, so if you want to take apart your Vox (it's pretty easy) you can restore the internal card to factory fresh.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #148
hecatae
MoDaCo News Team
hecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
Thank you for that, very useful, my wife got me one of these for my birthday last week.

I'm currently here:
Code:
mkimage -l uImage
Image Name:   Linux-2.6.35.3
Created:      Fri Mar  9 04:43:46 2012
Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size:    2986784 Bytes = 2916.78 kB = 2.85 MB
Load Address: 70008000
Entry Point:  70008000
Anyone know if we are using a 2G or 3G VMSPLIT kernel?

There are Vox compatible Jellybean libs, the AMD Z430 is simply an Adreno 200, and ZTE have released Jellybean 4.2 for their N880E, which uses an Adreno 200 GPU.

If the current kernel is 2G VMSPLIT, it will be incompatible with AOSP or CyanogenMOD or MIUI or AOKP or Paranoid Android, as they all uses 3G VMSPLIT.
Has anyone grabbed the kernel config from /proc/config.gz yet?

Code:
./extract_uImage.sh uImage
Checking for uImage magic word...
1+0 records in
0+1 records out
4 bytes (4 B) copied, 5.0902e-05 s, 78.6 kB/s
uImage recognized.
Extracting data...
46668+1 records in
5833+1 records out
2986784 bytes (3.0 MB) copied, 0.0350658 s, 85.2 MB/s
Checking for ARM mach-type...
3+0 records in
0+1 records out
3 bytes (3 B) copied, 7.1491e-05 s, 42.0 kB/s
Checking for zImage...
1+0 records in
0+1 records out
4 bytes (4 B) copied, 5.2313e-05 s, 76.5 kB/s
1+0 records in
0+1 records out
4 bytes (4 B) copied, 5.3372e-05 s, 74.9 kB/s
1+0 records in
0+1 records out
4 bytes (4 B) copied, 5.3278e-05 s, 75.1 kB/s
zImage recognized with start 0x00000000, end 0x002D9320 and size 2986784.
>>> uImage extracted to zImage
getting further...

pasted the config here: http://pastebin.com/KtmbEVrt

bit long, dont want to junk this thread, yes we are using 2G SPLIT.

going to see if I can build a 3.2.0 kernel using:
Code:
git clone http://opensource.freescale.com/pub/scm/imx/linux-2.6-imx.git
built:
Code:
 Kernel: arch/arm/boot/zImage is ready
  UIMAGE  arch/arm/boot/uImage
Image Name:   Linux-3.2.0-rc2-30386-gb684452
Created:      Sun Dec 16 00:35:54 2012
Data Size:    2755456 Bytes = 2690.88 kB = 2.63 MB
Load Address: 00008000
Entry Point:  00008000
anyone want to try this, I offer no guarantees on things working, but got to start somewhere.

edit: yes I'm aware that load and entry addresses have changed from original, looking to see where the wrong information was picked up

finally:
Code:
Image Name:   Linux-3.2.0-rc2-30386-gb684452
Created:      Sun Dec 16 01:59:04 2012
Data Size:    2755456 Bytes = 2690.88 kB = 2.63 MB
Load Address: 70008000
Entry Point:  70008000
going to see if it boots

Last edited by hecatae; 12-15-2012 at 08:59 PM.
hecatae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #149
hecatae
MoDaCo News Team
hecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughinghecatae can shake the floor when laughing

MfgTool release 1.6.2.042 by Freescale

Quote:
The MfgTool is a manufacturing tool from Freescale that runs under Windows. It is designed to program firmware to i.MX boards for mass production. Boards are connected via USB and execute the USB/UART (Serial downloader) mode.
available here, under Programmers: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...sign_Tools_Tab
Old 12-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #150
hecatae
MoDaCo News Team

enabling recovery:

Quote:
4.5.6 Software Update and Wipe Partition using Recovery Mode

It is possible to format the /data and /cache partitions or update software based on a update script using recovery mode as follows:
Prepare for all android source code that assumed to be saved in ~/myandroid directory.
Prepare for ADB over USB. make sure that ADB over USB is ok. USB cable is connected. Refer to ADB over USB section for more information.
Connect the UART to the PC and open a terminal to check for printed messages
Enter the recovery by manual
Only works on MX53_SMD: Press "VOLUME -" and "Power" , you can enter Recovery mode.
Developer notes:
to support your board or MX51 platform, you can reference this patch in uboot-imx.git:
Code:
ENGR00162491 Android: MX53_SMD: enter recovery mode by key.
to add your board supoprt.

When system had complete to bootup, You will see a Android Robot Logo