Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
duckbill
Enthusiast
duckbill began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Hold on to your Sony readers

First off, apologies to all for giving up on the Sony reader (PRS 505) so fast (see my thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92514)

After having received the new Kindle I was somewhat disappointed with the display. I had expected a whiter background and also find that there is very little difference to the display of my beloved PRS-505.

There is significant improvement while viewing pictures and the page turns are also considerably faster. The ability to send texts via email and ordering directly from the device are also quite significant improvements.

It may be wise for some to hold their horses until Sony officially launch the new series of readers.

Last edited by duckbill; 08-29-2010 at 10:01 PM.
duckbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Kindle (Pearl screen) vs Sony PRS 300 (by amutin aka REALexMSG from the-ebook.org) scan:

kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Kindle (Pearl screen) vs Sony PRS 300 (by amutin aka REALexMSG from the-ebook.org) scan:

Weird. I can barely see any difference.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The difference is not so much that the background is whiter, but that the text is blacker. The Pearl screen has genuinely black text, compared to dark grey on the older screens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The difference is not so much that the background is whiter, but that the text is blacker. The Pearl screen has genuinely black text, compared to dark grey on the older screens.
I can't really see it either but I know how hard is it to capture eink correctly on camera (though this is really a scan, not a picture).
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Here is a better view from my 300 and my Kindle DXG. I'll try to take some comparison shots with the 300 and my K3 later today.

Note: both readers have font hacks and are showing the same font.

To me anyway, the 300 looks washed out compared to the Kindle Pearl screen, and the text is much darker on the Pearl screen.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pearl-eink2a.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	57384   Click image for larger version

Name:	pearl-eink2b.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	57385  

Last edited by jswinden; 08-30-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Comparison of Sony 300 to Kindle WiFi

Here are my comparison photos of the Sony 300 to Kindle WiFi.
  • Both devices are showing the same book (The Federalists Papers).
  • Both devices are showing the same pages within the book.
  • Both devices are using their default serif font. (No font hacks.)

I think this clearly shows the vast superiority of the Pearl eInk screen to the 2nd Generation eInk screen, especially in the closeup view.

If Sony releases new readers with the old 2nd Generation eInk screens then they won't be able to compare to the Kindle Pearl screens.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pearl-comparison-01.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	357.6 KB
ID:	57387   Click image for larger version

Name:	pearl-comparison-02.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	57388   Click image for larger version

Name:	pearl-comparison-03.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	57389  

Last edited by jswinden; 08-30-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Weird. I can barely see any difference.
Probably because a careful examination of his photos (yes plural) appears to show two separate photos cut and pasted to look as though they were taking as one photo of the two devices sitting side by side. Look at the lower right of the composite photo which shows a strange edge of black. I can take photos all day long of eInk screens and no two come out the same. They are notoriously famous for being difficult to photograph. However, in my photos, I placed the devices either on top of one another or side by side to use the same lighting in one photograph to more accurately display the differences.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-30-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
It certainly does demonstrate the difficulty of photographing eink displays.

In your first demonstration, the Sony clearly has the lighter background

and in the second, the effect is reversed

Although, in both sets the Kindle has much darker text. I wonder how bold text looks in the Kindle?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think this clearly shows...
I'd say you have to have letters of the same size, to do right screen to screen comparison. On your pictures 300 has much smaller letters. No wonder that they aren't as crisp.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
I'd say you have to have letters of the same size, to do right screen to screen comparison. On your pictures 300 has much smaller letters. No wonder that they aren't as crisp.
Fair enough, I hadn't notice that until after I took the other photos. Here is the same two pages but closer to the same font size. This is as close to the same font size as I can get.

The Pearl screen is still hands down the winner.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pearl-comparison-04.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	467.4 KB
ID:	57414   Click image for larger version

Name:	pearl-comparison-05.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	57415  
Old 08-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
You know, just a thought, but comparing hacked devices (Even if it is only to add fonts) is not exactly a fair assessment of the two readers. After all, the screen is only one aspect of an ebook reader that determines how readable it is.

Overall, for reading text, I believe that the Kindle3 screen is better than the competition, but I also know that the Competition will likely catch up in short order. Further, using a Sony PRS-505, the difference in the screens is not dramatic enough that I would switch readers -- others might, but not me.

Certainly, the advantages in using a more open DRM environment is more important to me than the advantages of the new screen.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
You know, just a thought, but comparing hacked devices (Even if it is only to add fonts) is not exactly a fair assessment of the two readers. After all, the screen is only one aspect of an ebook reader that determines how readable it is.

Overall, for reading text, I believe that the Kindle3 screen is better than the competition, but I also know that the Competition will likely catch up in short order. Further, using a Sony PRS-505, the difference in the screens is not dramatic enough that I would switch readers -- others might, but not me.

Certainly, the advantages in using a more open DRM environment is more important to me than the advantages of the new screen.

--
Bill
Apparently you missed this in my second set of photos: "Both devices are using their default serif font. (No font hacks.)"

I really hope Sony and the other major players come out with competitive readers using Pearl screens (or something better). I would never want one company to dominate. With competition comes a constant set of new and improved readers. So competition is good for us consumers. I have no loyalty to any brand. I went with sony for a couple of years, but they fell behind. Now I'm going with Kindles. Who knows what brand I'll go with next.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-30-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Way to go for Sony.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #15
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
The K3 looks much better than the prs-300. And I always thought the 300 had a good screen.

I hope I still love my 300 when my K3 arrives.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote