Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-19-2015, 02:50 PM   #1996
MrFritz
MrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Hi knc1. Thanks for the reply. Just a couple of notes first.

1) Kindle PW w/o Ads; S/N B024 1502 2435 040C
2) All I want is to run my own screensavers.
3) Before the FW update to 5.6.1.1, I was at FW5.3.9 with update_jbpatch_3.2.1_fw531_install; update_linkss_0.15.N_install and update_python_0.8.N_install.
4) I have NEVER performed a RESET on this Kindle. Only Restarts.

I tried the hotfix as well as KUAL late yesterday. Just now, I used your link to download the hotfix again. This time, I turned Airplane Mode on and had the menu tree open. I dropped the hotfix file into root, disco'ed and saw that the Update was not greyed out. I ran the update and it said it was successful. Looking at the JBPatch icon, it says "Active." I clicked on the icon and it said that JBPatch is not installed. As expected, my screensavers are still not working.

Suggestions?

If it's not to complicated, my BUs included the hidden "system" folder. Is there more? Can I do a full backup and restore from the USB port and how?

Many thanks,
Fred

Last edited by MrFritz; 07-19-2015 at 02:52 PM.
MrFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:04 PM   #1997
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Now, re-install everything related to the screensaver hack.
You must use the Mobileread Package Installer with the 5.6.x series firmware.

Is there more?
Yes, about 175Mb (compressed size) that you can't see over the USB cable.
No, you can't do it over the USB port, unless your using USBnetworking and either telnet, or ssh.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2015, 05:19 PM   #1998
MrFritz
MrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmos

Okay. Maybe we're making some progress here. Please tell me what I did wrong of did not do.

=========

Put KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 into Documents folder. (Note: Also found jbpatch.azw2 in the Documents folder.)

Put the following into the "mrpackages" folder:
Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.14.N_install.bin
Update_linkss_0.21.N_install_touch_pw.bin
Update_python_0.11.N_install_touch_pw.bin
If things are working correctly, shouldn't these bin files be deleted after installation? Because, they're still here.

Restarted Kindle.

The old JBPatch icon and the new Kindle Launcher icon appear and both say "Active."

Clicking on JBPatch returns "JBPatch not installed."

Clicking on the Kindle Launcher brings up the KUAL menu. Clicking on Helper it now says "ALLOW ScreenSaver." I have my old working png files in the linkss/screensavers folder.

Looks like KUAL may be working but still not seeing my screensaver pictures. Just the stock crap from Amazon.

NOTE: I also tried updating JBPatch, Python and Linkss the old way. Putting the bin file in the root and running Update. No change.

==========

DID I GRAB THE WRONG FILES???? Touch instead of PW??

Fred

Last edited by MrFritz; 07-19-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #1999
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The JBPatch add-in is very version specific.
It has not been updated for a long time (since ixtab completed his Phd and had to go to work, rather than stay in school).

In general, it isn't going to work with this firmware version, so give up on JBPatch.
Not a great loss in this case, it doesn't have anything to do with screensavers.

JBPatch and KUAL say: "Active" because that is Amazon's shorthand for: "Active Document(s)"
They are, Active Documents, that is, not "Active" in the sense of "been activated".

Since MrPI is a KUAL menu extension, you need KUAL working.
It sounds like it is from your post.

Then add the Mobileread Package Installer (MrPI) according to its directions (which is just like adding any other KUAL menu extension).

Take out the "update ... jail break bridge" thingy - that action should have been done already.
Leave the other two packages in mrpackages.

Now you should find an entry on the KUAL menu to trigger the installer.

- - - -

Yes, your correct, when things are working properly, packages "disappear" after being installed.

- - - -

Post again if you have more troubles, but the above should get you working again.

Last edited by knc1; 07-19-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:31 PM   #2000
MrFritz

Thumbs up

k n c 1
* * Y O U * * A R E * * T H E * * M A N * *

Everything is working as it should be. I love the KUAL package. Makes updates so much easier (now that I understand it and it's working).

Last questions just to clean things up:

1) Should I run an uninstaller to get rid of JBPatch (which one)?

2) Can I delete jbpatch.azw2 and/or the folder(s) jailbreak.sdr and jailbreak-log.sdr which are all in the "documents" folder?

3) Can I delete the JBPatch folder found in the developer folder?

4) Can I delete the opt folder or the jbpatch folder found within it?

5) Can I delete the empty folder labeled "rp?"
Advert
Old 07-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #2001
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can delete all traces of JBPatch in the userstore, since JBPatch isn't installed. No need to find an uninstaller, the firmware update already did that.

jailbreak(-log).sdr is just the annotations folder for the ebook that was created to notify you of the successful jailbreak. (I thought that was a feature of yifanlu's JB, this JB didn't do that though???)

the "rp" folder can be used for auto-recovery of the Rescue Pack in certain edge cases. (it should have the Rescue Pack files in it, though...)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #2002
knc1
Going Viral

This PW-1 has been around for awhile, that "rp" folder may be leftover from some time in the past.

It seems pretty clear that the OTA update to 5.6.1.1, **for the PW-1**, still has "Active Documents" enabled.
And that the JB survives, at least with the help of the latest "hot fix" from NiLuJe.
This is the third or fourth one reported working (again) in the last few days.

Which leaves the question of: "Does the PW-3 factory install of 5.6.1.1 have Active Documents enabled?"

I guess we have to wait until someone JB a PW-3 over the serial port to find out.
(I have one but am not sure if I will ever have the time, so don't anyone wait for me to get around to it. )

Last edited by knc1; 07-19-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:41 PM   #2003
MrFritz

Thanks again eschwartz and knc1. I deleted all the aforementioned files and both the "opt" and the "rp" folders. I then did a restart and everything appears to still be working. Lots of karma to you both.

Fred
Old 07-20-2015, 12:47 AM   #2004
BookishMonster
BookishMonster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Thwarted at the Mote

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Okay, as promised earlier, here's an early winter break present .

If you happened to be running a live, but outdated version of the JailBreak when you got the 5.6.x update, this package should get you back on track.

Download the attached zip file, and unpack it.
Copy the Update_jailbreak_1.14.N_install.bin file to the root directory of your Kindle.

Now, eject & unplug your Kindle, and go to [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle. If the update is successful, you're golden. If it fails, it probably means you weren't properly jailbroken before the update, in which case, you're still screwed.
Hi there! Thank you for all of your efforts on keeping our Kindle screensavers our choice.

I had successfully jail broken my Kindle PW 1 a couple years ago and have been able to re-install after each Kindle rev in the last couple of years until now. My Kindle just updated today to 5.6.1.1 and I tried the above updated jailbreak, but it's not sticking. We even tried down revving the Kindle firmware to get it to work with no joy. Any other recommendations?
BookishMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:54 AM   #2005
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@BookishMonster-
Try NiLuJe's hotfix for the jailbreak here...
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:38 AM   #2006
BookishMonster
BookishMonster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@BookishMonster-
Try NiLuJe's hotfix for the jailbreak here...
Thanks @GoSharks, I did try that, but no joy. I see there's more threads coming in so hopefully one of those tactics will work soon!
BookishMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:10 AM   #2007
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishMonster View Post
Thanks @GoSharks, I did try that, but no joy. I see there's more threads coming in so hopefully one of those tactics will work soon!
You may have gotten a copy of the "hot fix" before its most recent updat (7/17).

Use the one attached here (same link that gosharks gave you):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1597

It has been working since its update.

- - - -

Also remember that you are now running a 5.6.x series firmware -
Which means you **must** use the Mobileread Package Installer (MrPI).
Which means you should have KUAL installed (MrPI is a KUAL extension).
Old 07-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #2008
kuoirad
kuoirad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I did some karma recommendations, but major thanks to omlaut and knc1. After some fiddling and further reading, I got my jailbreak back despite it being out of date, installed KUAL, and got everything updated and working again.

Thanks a bunch, guys.
kuoirad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #2009
Draccy
SciFi E-Book Fanatic
Draccy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 2
Hello,

I'm still having issues after installing:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1597

I was previously jailbroken with screen savers installed. I'm not getting the "jail break" message and linkss install isn't noticed in update my kindle.

I deleted an RP folder, but didn't see an OPT one. What else should I try?
Draccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:59 PM   #2010
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@Draccy- I presume you had an OTA update....
Assuming the hot fix updated your jailbreak and made it functional, you now need to use the MrPI extension of KUAL to install .bin files. Read the KUAL sticky for information.

Last edited by GoSharks; 07-21-2015 at 12:24 AM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch