Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
ukhant
ukhant began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Query - Kindle DX US

Hi,

I have a few queries, i have searched the board, i am not a linux expert but have messed around with it.

I have a kindle DX US, i was in US as of few months back, but now in australia. My kindle is registered. It has 2.5.2 running. I dont need any hack or usbNetworking if i can avoid it.

Main issue is that once i manually upgraded to 2.5.2 the time went out of sync. Question is,

1. Is there any way to update the time without doing a jail break ? ( i have tried turning on wireless and leaving it on in hope that some other network will sync time at least, but doesnt happen).

2. If jail break is a must requirement, does this activity results in any side effects , like de registration, loosing the key etc ? I dont want to re register using another hack.

A Simple Noob Proof answer would be much appreciated, as opposed to pointing to a link.

[/LIST]
ukhant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
With a DX US, no, you'll have to use a hack (usbnetwork, or have someone whip up a simple date hack).

And no, if you use any of the recent hacks, neither jailbreak nor usbnetwork should cause any trouble regarding official updates/reg status.

The only thing I can think about is that it may not stick, since we'll just be overriding the date, without really changing the timezone. (Unless someone out there can find me a DB of the TZInfo files used by the Kindle, because it's not the usual format of the ones used in a full GNU/Linux system, and there's no local DB)

With a DX GW, you'd have the choice to try some other carriers to check if one of them provides timezone info, but with a DX US, I don't think you have any other choices. (I may be wrong, I'm not that familiar with the US models).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-20-2010 at 12:03 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 03:23 AM   #3
garyyoung
garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhant View Post
Hi,

I have a few queries, i have searched the board, i am not a linux expert but have messed around with it.

I have a kindle DX US, i was in US as of few months back, but now in australia. My kindle is registered. It has 2.5.2 running. I dont need any hack or usbNetworking if i can avoid it.

Main issue is that once i manually upgraded to 2.5.2 the time went out of sync. Question is,

1. Is there any way to update the time without doing a jail break ? ( i have tried turning on wireless and leaving it on in hope that some other network will sync time at least, but doesnt happen).

2. If jail break is a must requirement, does this activity results in any side effects , like de registration, loosing the key etc ? I dont want to re register using another hack.

A Simple Noob Proof answer would be much appreciated, as opposed to pointing to a link.

[/LIST]

I think there are two ways to do this, though I'd caution that I have a K2 international and live in the US.

First method:

"Yep, you can change it. The kindle isnt broken at all and you certainly dont need to jailbreak it. Go into menu and settings. Type 311 (NOT 611) This will locate all the telcos in your area providing a wireless service - I had about 10 to choose from. You might need to try out a couple, but one of them will reset your clock to local time. I asked this question a couple of weeks ago and fixed it - although the clock had originally been correct, for some reason when I turned the wireless on about 6 weeks ago it changed the time. But all good now."

That's the method I used and it worked for me. That quotation comes from message 6 in this link: www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61551

The second (and probably better) method:

Go to your account on the Amazon webpage, click on "Manage your kindle," and then again on "Edit your country." If your account is like mine, the only thing you'll see is the country name. If you enter your full address (including city, state or province, etc.), your kindle should display the correct time. I had already used method one before I came across this idea, but "hoosiermama" in another thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=994767) said that it works.

Last edited by garyyoung; 07-20-2010 at 03:35 AM.
garyyoung is offline   Reply With Quote