Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
a few really basic kindle hack questions

the first one may be kinda stupid. Is hacking the kindle in any way allowed by amazon? Is it akin to jail-breaking the iphone? I'd rather not do that...

but I'm wondering if there's a hack/script that does what I want:

I want to leave networking off in general, but have the kindle do this 3 step process:
turn on networking
whispersync
turn off networking

either on a time basis, or when the kindle first wakes up/turns on and sleeps/turns off.

Sorry if these are silly questions: I don't actually own a kindle yet, but am strongly considering buying one. I currently read on my PC, my blackberry, my ipod touch and my cybook gen 3. What I'm wishing for is synced placeholders between my devices.
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan View Post
the first one may be kinda stupid. Is hacking the kindle in any way allowed by amazon? Is it akin to jail-breaking the iphone? I'd rather not do that...
Technically, jail-breaking the Kindle will void the warranty but in my experience will not otherwise impair any of its functionality. You will still be able to shop in the amazon store and it wont restrict any of its features. Provided the unit is not "bricked" the jail-break (and hacks) can be removed should you need to return a sanitized unit to amazon for service.

Quote:
but I'm wondering if there's a hack/script that does what I want:

I want to leave networking off in general, but have the kindle do this 3 step process:
turn on networking
whispersync
turn off networking

either on a time basis, or when the kindle first wakes up/turns on and sleeps/turns off.
No need for hacks here. The Kindle does this natively (though manually). You can turn on and off networking from a menu and the Kindle will sync automatically.

Quote:
Sorry if these are silly questions: I don't actually own a kindle yet, but am strongly considering buying one. I currently read on my PC, my blackberry, my ipod touch and my cybook gen 3. What I'm wishing for is synced placeholders between my devices.
Your mileage may vary. By default, only books purchased from amazon will synchronize, and only between amazon applications (such as Kindle for PC). With a little more work, using Calibre, you would be able to synchronize any ebook. Calibre has a forum on this site, you can search to that effect.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
Yeah, I'm already a heavy calibre user. I'm enough of a tinfoil-hat-girl that I would only put amazon purchased content on my kindle. I also won't jailbreak my kindle if I can avoid it.

That said, I was hoping for an automated way to "turn on, sync, turn off" rather than manual. I tend to read until I fall asleep. Turning off my device manually sometimes doesn't happen. But I'd still like my BB to have the correct page if I pick it up to read say at the Dr's office the next morning.
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
At the moment, I don't believe there are any what I'd call TIMING/CLOCK hacks. I know someone asked for a alarm clock but I don't think anything turned up.

But what you are asking would definitely require a hack - the kindle does not multitask so there's no 3rd party app that can perform what you want.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote