Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
large device, can you help me decide?

Hi there,
after many years spent using small/medium devices, I was considering about moving to the largest on the market - I'm still unsure though.

I was the proud owner of the Rocket Ebook when it appeared on the market, then I used the small Nokia770 and the disappointing Hiebook.
When e-ink appeared, I was in the Sony-505 heaven.

But.
For leisure it's perfect, but for work I have to use a lot of PDF technical books, and read a lot of PDF scientific papers (2 columns, often...) - so I was thinking about the largest devices out there.

I saw my collegue's Kindle DX and was flabbergasted - it' perfect reading from what I saw.
It is just that I have a problem with devices that remind me too much that I'm in front of a computer: I hate to see a keyboard in front of me when I read (I use already too much computers during work...)

So: apart from the DX, what is out there? The Sony900 is smaller, and I'm not familiar with the Iliads, though they seem wonderful seems to me their userbase is complaining a lot...

Concerning my needs I just want to add that wifi is completely useless to me.

Any other suggestions???

thanks!

alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
well go for the dr800s right now
or wait some months..
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
For e-ink I would wait for the Que.
http://www.que.com/

If you don't mind reading on an LCD I would go for the iPad when it comes out.
http://www.apple.com/

Last edited by thinkpad; 02-15-2010 at 02:22 PM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:17 AM   #4
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by repods
well go for the dr800s right now
or wait some months..
well, a bit too small. But wait some months why? Something else from Irex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
For e-ink I would wait for the Que.
http://www.que.com/
mmm I didnt know it.
Seems good, though it costs a lot (as they say in related news "outrageous price tag"), hope it's worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
If you don't mind reading on an LCD I would go for the iPad when it comes out.
http://www.apple.com/
isnt it smaller than the 10''-11'' we're talking about?

Anybody heard about Sony making in the near future some device larger than the daily?

Everything considered, I'm very tempted by some Irex product. But I'm a bit worried since I heard complains about software...

alessandro
Old 02-16-2010, 03:05 AM   #5
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you don't mind the weight the Entourage Edge (dual screen) looks very promising.
Quite a few users here at MR has ordered this one.
http://www.entourageedge.com/
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 03:16 AM   #6
thinkpad
David

You might also want to check out the Skiff coming with a 11.5 inches rugged metal-foil e-Paper display, 1200x1600 resolution with 174 ppi.
http://www.skiff.com/skiff-reader.html
Old 02-16-2010, 05:04 AM   #7
electrotype
Enthusiast
electrotype began at the beginning.

Device: none
... or this!
electrotype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Wait until April for the Asus DR-950 Sipix Ereader. I think it has a lot of potential as a large screen ereader.

Check it out here
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:12 AM   #9
alexxxm
Addict

I want to thank all of you for the inputs!

If I may broad the question a bit, I'd like to know what do you think about the ideal form factor.
My Sony505 is always with me in my jaket pocket.
My friend's Kindle DX, much larger, seems less portable of course.
I see the devices you mentioned can be even larger... what do you think is the minimal screen/device size to realistically read PDFs - which doesnt compromise too much on portability?

... I would not like to spend thousands to have a 15'' device, just to leave it at home since I dont know how to bring it with me!

alessandro
Old 02-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
Spirity
Follow Your Bliss!
Spirity doesn't litterSpirity doesn't litter

Device: Dreaming of a HP TouchSmart tm2!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
Wait until April for the Asus DR-950 Sipix Ereader. I think it has a lot of potential as a large screen ereader.

Check it out here
Thanks for mentioning the Asus, Orcablue; I hadn't come across it before. It looks like the perfect alternative for me personally, if I don't want to go with the Que or wait for the Skiff.
Spirity is offline   Reply With Quote