Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
LiquaVista to demo color epaper reader at CES

Liquavista just posted a press release on their website.
Quote:
6th January 2010 – Eindhoven – Liquavista BV. today launched its latest technology platform LiquavistaColor, which offers bright full color capability and the advantages of full interactivity and hi-fidelity video at ultra-low power to future advanced eReader devices for the first time.
They're going to have the demo units on display in their booth at CES. I half expected this announcement; that's why this company was already on my list.

Liquavista also updated their website with new information (it's on their homepage, no less). There is also a brief video here.

Edit: A member found it on Youtube.

Last edited by Nate the great; 01-06-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Liquavista just posted a press release on their website.

They're going to have the demo units on display in their booth at CES. I half expected this announcement; that's why this company was already on my list.

Liquavista also updated their website with new information (it's on their homepage, no less). There is also a brief video here.
NB: Display on the Liquevistavideo is obviously powered by mighty PC-Hardware! Look at that scrolling speed! No way a puny reader could display pages like that!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Wish there was a temporary CES forum so I could keep up with all your postings. Thanks Nate!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Let the creation of *wood* ensue. !!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
For some reason I've been getting an error on the LiquaVista site, but this may be the same video on YouTube...

[edit=youtube link in Nate's post now]

Looks interesting. I want products though, not just more demos! We'll see if they have any products out with LiquavistaBright first...which would be nice too.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 01-06-2010 at 02:40 PM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
That's it!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

What intrigued me in their press release was this line:
Quote:
Liquavista will be demonstrating LiquavistaColor as well as the current generations of the technology platforms on stand...
(emphasis mine).

Oooh?!
Old 01-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
Hogan
Zealot
Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Motorola Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
For some reason I've been getting an error on the LiquaVista site, but this may be the same video on YouTube...

[edit=youtube link in Nate's post now]

Looks interesting. I want products though, not just more demos! We'll see if they have any products out with LiquavistaBright first...which would be nice too.
As far as I know BeBook are going to announce something in conjunction with LiquaVista.
Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
But is this technology eInk? you know, reads as paper, no radiation and stuff? If it's just a low power LCD I'm not very interested...
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #10
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
But is this technology eInk? you know, reads as paper, no radiation and stuff? If it's just a low power LCD I'm not very interested...
E-Ink is a company. They are known for their brand of display called an EPD (electrophoretic display), which is the most popular type of display that we refer to as "e-paper".
Liquavista's products are e-paper as well, but using a different technology called EWD (electrowetting display), and have all the same basic reading qualities as E-Ink's e-paper displays, but are much more capable, with higher contrast and faster refresh options. The tech they're demonstrating now is their second product, which as the name suggests offers color viewing with quite high reflectance. It's based on their monochrome LiquavistaBright screen, which some of us are really hoping will find implementation in a product or two in the very near future. LiquavistaColor I think is not yet in commercial products, but may be before year's end or early next year.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 01-06-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
But what is most important: This color screen looks reeealy nice!!! I was never pleased by the flepia color screens, but this is a whole different story.
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #12
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
But what is most important: This color screen looks reeealy nice!!! I was never pleased by the flepia color screens, but this is a whole different story.
If it's similar to eInk, with no backlight, and it works like this, I'm getting it as soon as it's available.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Let the creation of *wood* ensue. !!!
lol. I wouldn't go that far but it looks awesome.

The e-reader market is heating up, 2010 will be it's year. By 2011 we'll probably have a lot of high quality color technologies and they will in wider usage for magazines. So will appear in doctors waiting rooms, schools, universities and so on. Devices holding things like encyclopedias will be much nicer with quality color displays.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
fuzzy_dunlop
Enthusiast
fuzzy_dunlop began at the beginning.

Device: none
The refresh time is amazing. Color is great, I tend to read books without color [or pop-ups (^_^)v ] so I haven't been holding out for color.

One thing though, the fast refresh rate and the color combined seem revolutionary, and revolutionary changes in tech these days are super-rare. So I can't help but think they are cutting some kind of corner when it comes e-paper. But if it is the real deal, well done.
fuzzy_dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #15
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Oh this looks simply awesome.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ces10