Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
themadthinker
themadthinker began at the beginning.

Device: Don't know yet...
Differences between the Hanlin V3s?

Hey, long time reader, first time writer. I think I've settled on one of the Hanlins for my long wanted device. My question is if there's much functional difference between the different distributors? I was eying up a BeBook, but why is it more expensive than some of the others? Do we have a firm date for the EZ Reader yet?

Thanks,
themadthinker
themadthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
There is really only one difference: the screen. Some of the clones use a 6" screen; others use a 152.4mm screen.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry? All the devices use the SAME screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I assume he was being cheeky... one measurement in metric and one in english.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadthinker View Post
Hey, long time reader, first time writer. I think I've settled on one of the Hanlins for my long wanted device. My question is if there's much functional difference between the different distributors? I was eying up a BeBook, but why is it more expensive than some of the others? Do we have a firm date for the EZ Reader yet?

Thanks,
themadthinker
EZ Reader has units in house and are ready to ship as soon as the web site is clean. They are scheduled to ship at the end of this month.

There are only minor differences between the units so far. lBook has larger next and previous button on the left side (see image in the wiki). There are color differences in the offerings. They have different logos. Some of the sites have not upgraded their descriptions but it is likely that, unless they have old stock, they are all shipping 512Meg units these days. They ship with different accessories.

There are differences in the support and the various versions do seem to add firmware features from time to time. Eventually the Hanlin web site seems to roll up these features but it can lag for a month or so. The good news is that a user can upgrade their firmware from any of the sites so far.

Some sites favor the wolf format, some FB2, some PDF, and some mobi but all devices support all the formats. The wiki now has a category for Hanlin to roll up the various flavors.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I assume he was being cheeky... one measurement in metric and one in english.

BOb
Yes.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
themadthinker

Fantastic, thanks for the quick response. I didn't realize the EZ Reader was going to ship quite so soon. It's cheaper than the BeBook, and since I can just use the BeBook firmware upgrades, I think I might just wait for Astak to start shipping.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadthinker View Post
Fantastic, thanks for the quick response. I didn't realize the EZ Reader was going to ship quite so soon. It's cheaper than the BeBook, and since I can just use the BeBook firmware upgrades, I think I might just wait for Astak to start shipping.

Thanks!
You may want to get on the waiting list at http://www.mobiebook.com to get the cheaper price. After the initial sale of 100 units the price is expected to go up.

edit: The mobiebook site seems to be down undergoing chances at the moment. You might check http://www.astak.com

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:30 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Gotcha!
No, I was just wondering why you were quoting incorrect figures for the screen size. The size of the screen is 90x120mm, which (obviously) makes the diagonal 150mm. The oft-quoted 6" is merely an approximate conversion and certainly can't be "re-converted" to the figure "152.4mm". It's not "152.4mm"; it's 150mm.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #10
themadthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You may want to get on the waiting list at http://www.mobiebook.com to get the cheaper price. After the initial sale of 100 units the price is expected to go up.

edit: The mobiebook site seems to be down undergoing chances at the moment. You might check http://www.astak.com

Dale
I threw Astek an email, and it seems that the store will be back up on Wednesday.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
No, I was just wondering why you were quoting incorrect figures for the screen size. The size of the screen is 90x120mm, which (obviously) makes the diagonal 150mm. The oft-quoted 6" is merely an approximate conversion and certainly can't be "re-converted" to the figure "152.4mm". It's not "152.4mm"; it's 150mm.
Using my Mello Yellow ruler, I just measured the screen of my 505 and it is indeed 6".
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:26 PM   #12
cindynsg
cindynsg began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
I can't get into mobiebook site.A user name and password come up, but no place to join?
cindynsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #13
themadthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindynsg View Post
I can't get into mobiebook site.A user name and password come up, but no place to join?
As mentioned in my post above, I contacted Astak, and the store will be open on Wednesday.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:13 AM   #14
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
i finally bit the bullet ended up buying from bebook, very happy with my purchase, and has an active forum. All the hanlin clones are just that; clones. The good thing is you can easily switch between firmwares - I'm currently using the bebook firmware, but I suspect they are just using jinkes firmware as a base and adding a few bits of their own to it, as I recently found to my delight jinkes logo maker working on the bebooks firmware!
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote