Yes 32 38.10%
No 35 41.67%
I'm crossing it now 13 15.48%
Need to explain. 4 4.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #61
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Congratulations on the boy. When's the wedding? about 4 months after I met my wife online, we were engaged and married the following year.
Right now, we are talking about moving in together come summer. My job might be changing and he has some issues with his ex to work out first. He's staying with me over Christmas while his place gets painted, though, and he is now sharing my iTunes account---so that's commitment. He does have his own Kobo account but that's mostly so we can use coupon codes twice and so I don't have all his Star Wars crap cluttering up my pristine library
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Right now, we are talking about moving in together come summer. My job might be changing and he has some issues with his ex to work out first. He's staying with me over Christmas while his place gets painted, though, and he is now sharing my iTunes account---so that's commitment. He does have his own Kobo account but that's mostly so we can use coupon codes twice and so I don't have all his Star Wars crap cluttering up my pristine library
I think I may have done the moving in together had we not had the distance and separate countries to deal with. I don't regret getting married so quickly. We both knew we wanted each other and now we have each other and it's so good.

I hope this works out for you. It is so much better then being alone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #63
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry for derailing the thread with the OT, but out of curiosity, JSwolf, how long have you and your wife been together?

Fwiw, both of us know already We are just taking things slow so we can make sure we do things properly and don't mess it up somehow
Old 12-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry for derailing the thread with the OT, but out of curiosity, JSwolf, how long have you and your wife been together?

Fwiw, both of us know already We are just taking things slow so we can make sure we do things properly and don't mess it up somehow
I've done both slow and fast and they both ended. One worse then the other. I've decided it's not slow or fast. It's comparability. If it's going to work, going slow vs fast is not going to make a difference.

As for how long, 6 years 9 months (almost).
Old 12-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #65
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
No. I will just make it over 50. To be fair I've just started a new course and so have been quite busy and haven't had as much time to read. However I was way behind before I started the course so would not have made it to my target regardless.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #66
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
It takes me forever to listen to a book. I do the 15 min timer, because it puts me to sleep.
I'm the same. I can't listen to audiobooks in bed, 'cos I manage about 10 minutes and then fall asleep. I have to spend ages the next time trying to find the last bit that I remember!
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #67
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^It's better than the 10 minutes I manage of reading a book in bed before it disturbs my restful state by falling on my face.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #68
ficbot
Wizard

Thanks, Jswolf. I appreciate your comments.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #69
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^It's better than the 10 minutes I manage of reading a book in bed before it disturbs my restful state by falling on my face.
Aww!!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks, Jswolf. I appreciate your comments.
So, does your BF read eBooks? My wife didn't when we met. But she does now.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:31 AM   #71
ficbot
Wizard

He does. But he reads mostly Star Wars novels. He has about a dozen from Kobo. He also very handily works in a neighbouring municipality that has its own public library, and I am currently in possession of his card for purposes of ebook borrowing I have been wishlisting stuff for him but none of it has come up yet.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #72
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Yup, I should hit the 100, since I'm at 91 now and have two books and an audiobook currently in progress.

Would have probably reached it earlier, but I've gotten into computer games big time this year and have been wasting my eyeballs on that.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #73
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
There's no reason to be ashamed about anything we read and your list is far from one-dimensional or easy in many places.

I've already compiled my challenge list for next year. Only 26 books on the challenge list, but it should let me fit in some other options along the way as a realistic goal for me would be about 36-40 books. I based my challenge list on years and letters of the alphabet. At least one book from every decade since 1900 and at one book from an author with a last name beginning with every letter of the alphabet. My list is already on GoodReads here.. At the start of the year I'll move them to the to read pile and start checking them off.

I'm hoping it's a strange and wondrous journey. It's also a bit of a catch-up on some things I should have read by now with a few favourite authors thrown in (Mistry, Pratchett, Valente).

I like the country angle mentioned. Maybe next year will be at least twenty-four countries or maybe an all-Canadian list as I don't read enough local content.
That's interesting.

I'm still working on what my challenge may be. I want to keep it simple, but I have quite a few TBR books that I know I want on my list for next year.

I still haven't decided between counting pages or books read (or both), but the goal will be somewhere around 50 for me. I'm allocating 24 to the two book clubs, so I won't know what they are until next year.

Of the rest, I was thinking of maybe doing something like a half TBR books and the other half left to spur of the moment or random fun reads.

Still considering the possibilities...
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #74
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
My original goal for 2012 was also going to be 50 (52 actually for one book a week, but 50 looks & sounds better ). After looking at the series I want to read, however, and then adding in the MobileRead Book Club, 4 specific months of the Literary Club, and the Illiad group read, my goal is now 80.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #75
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Probably just going to get to 90 books this year. Had a lot of fun and a lot of enjoyment though.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote