Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-13-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur
MarkRPenn began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Can't get shell access

I've requested shell access from Irex, and that appeared to work. I also downloaded the cf-card-contents.zip file from My Irex (I assume that means the request was accepted?).

But, when I connect to IDS nothing gets downloaded, and nothiong changes on my Iliad.

What am I doing wrong?

Mark
MarkRPenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you sure that it hasn't worked? It's a very short download.

Try putting (say) the FBReader installer on a CF card and seeing if the contents lister recognises the install script as an executable file. If it does, it's worked.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you sure that it hasn't worked? It's a very short download.

Try putting (say) the FBReader installer on a CF card and seeing if the contents lister recognises the install script as an executable file. If it does, it's worked.
Thanks, I'll give it a go, but it didn't re-start as it said it would

Mark
Old 10-13-2007, 11:30 AM   #4
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur

No, not working

Mark
Old 10-13-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All I can suggest is that you re-request the shell access and try again. When you connect to iDS it should say "Downloading shell access package" or something similar, although it is a very small download. Stupid question, but are you sure that you're connecting to iDS using the same account that you requested the access through? Did it show the correct MAC address of your iLiad?
Advert
Old 10-13-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All I can suggest is that you re-request the shell access and try again. When you connect to iDS it should say "Downloading shell access package" or something similar, although it is a very small download. Stupid question, but are you sure that you're connecting to iDS using the same account that you requested the access through? Did it show the correct MAC address of your iLiad?
Yeah, I did request it again, and nothing happened.

The first time, it did download something, but I'm sure it was just something to do with Chinese support! Didn't re-start though, and it's not working.

I'm pretty sure it was the same account, yes. The MAC address was correct, except that it had a load of "F"'s in place of one of the hyphens. See picture.

Anyway, I've contacted tech support and will wait to see what they say. I'll report back.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	600
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	6249  
Old 10-14-2007, 04:32 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You haven't got a Chinese iLiad have you? I have a vague feeling that shell access isn't available for those.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur

I bloody well hope not! I bought it through Libresco in the UK. It's a V2.

Mark
Old 10-14-2007, 01:04 PM   #9
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur

Arrrrggggghhhhh.

The issue turns out to be that the request for the developer package page on My Irex doesn't work in Safari. There's no error given, and you get returned to the main Welcome page, so there's no way to know it didn't work.

This could be a Safari problem, but in my experience it usually only happens when a web designer has been lazy and not coded/tested his page for compatibility with anything other than IE.

Anyway, I've got Shell access now

Mark
Old 10-15-2007, 11:33 AM   #10
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
Ah yes, I remember..Safari does not work with MyIrex.
Use IE7 or good old firefox.
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:57 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Excellent to hear that the problem's sorted. I bought mine from Libresco too. Bought it personally from the home of the chap who runs it. He lives in a house in the middle of the wilderness in North Wales, along a dirt track that a mountain goat would find perilous .
Old 10-26-2007, 06:58 PM   #12
GRJOTI
GRJOTI began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad-ER0140
yyeeeahhh..... thanks this was exactly what I was looking for

I already have contacted iRex more than once to fix this and this just saved my day :-)
but my experience is that I was trying safari and firefox then after reading this I tried running Win-XP in parallels and use Internet-explorer with great success.
GRJOTI is offline   Reply With Quote