Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
ktj
ktj began at the beginning.

Device: laputa on android
expression to remove double spacing between paragraphs

The subject says it all really. Does anyone know what the expression is for removing double spacing between paragraphs?

Many thanks.
ktj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktj View Post
The subject says it all really. Does anyone know what the expression is for removing double spacing between paragraphs?

Many thanks.
Are you asking about converting? About regular expressions? About CSS? Where do you see the double spacing? Are there really "double" spaces there (use Inspect in Calibre's viewer or edit whatever format you are looking at) or is it a formatting issue where there's more space than you want after a single paragraph ends?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
ktj
ktj began at the beginning.

Device: laputa on android
Yes it was regular expressions i was referring to when converting. Sorry - that wasnt clear.

However I dont know enough about code to tell from the inspect tool what it is you wanted to know.

However I managed to fix my problem my converting to TXT, opening in word, doing a find and replace on multiple paragraph marks. Re-converted back to epub and now it looks fine.

I'm sure there's a much quicker way but for now my problem has been fixed.
ktj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
Quote:
However I managed to fix my problem my converting to TXT, opening in word, doing a find and replace on multiple paragraph marks. Re-converted back to epub and now it looks fine.

You most likely lost italics and other formatting by converting it to txt. I would at least convert to rtf then fix it in word, you will keep the basic formatting at least.

You might want to check out sigil and learn some basic html/css if you are going to be fixing alot of books.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Yes it was regular expressions i was referring to when converting. Sorry - that wasnt clear.

However I dont know enough about code to tell from the inspect tool what it is you wanted to know.

As Valentino mentioned, you lost formatting by doing a conversion to text, followed by reconversion.

Also, a conversion to TXT will usually put a second paragraph mark after each paragraph break even if the first didn't have one. (In text format, that's how paragraphs are marked.) You probably created the double paragraph marks when you created the text format.

Even worse, the conversion from TXT to EPUB will usually strip out double breaks automatically, so you didn't need to edit them out first.

Most likely, it was just a formatting issue in your original document and by going through the text format, it was stripped out, so it worked in the end. All you probably had to do was just fix the original formatting issue.

Last edited by Starson17; 07-26-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert