Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #886
sinisa
sinisa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Better annotation browsing would be good. Right now if I view annotation details on page 3 for example, and press the back arrow, it goes back to page 1.

Some sort of "detail mode" would be good as I take notes and re-reading key passages refreshes the memory.
sinisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:53 AM   #887
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
My wife just bought me a KT and I have already updated it to the newest FW release.

In the short time that I have had it I have to say that I am impressed with it. Especially when I used Youtube to review it. Most video's were old and didn't reflect the functionality of the newer FW.

One update that I would like to see is the ability to (while browsing my Library) place my books into my "Shelves" as I navigate the list by having an additional option in the right option list for each book. This way you can organize your list as you go through it sequentially.

As it is set up now - you open/create a shelf and then proceed to go through your Library seeking entires for it.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #888
j-beda
j-beda began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Being able to set an option so that when sorted by Author, lists would have folders for books with the same author (no need to have a folder if there is only one book by that author of course). This would dramatically shrink the size of longer lists/shelves.

Something similar could be done for series, if that metadata was recognized.
j-beda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #889
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
I made a shelf of books I haven't read but the order is random. An author I have about 6 books by are all over the place. Also why when I have selected my short list books carefully do they not appear on the 'home' page? The books there are old books, totally wrong and not the ones I selected. I can't find anything about that in the many pages or this thread or any other. I would appreciate knowing how to fix this.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #890
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orn8one View Post
I made a shelf of books I haven't read but the order is random. An author I have about 6 books by are all over the place. Also why when I have selected my short list books carefully do they not appear on the 'home' page? The books there are old books, totally wrong and not the ones I selected. I can't find anything about that in the many pages or this thread or any other. I would appreciate knowing how to fix this.
The carousel is not for the short list. It shows the most recently loaded content or most recently read. It's been this way through all firmwares. I agree though that there should be a way to sort the books once they are put into shelves.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #891
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orn8one View Post
I made a shelf of books I haven't read but the order is random. An author I have about 6 books by are all over the place.
When you are viewing any list in the library, above the list on the left there is "by XXXX". That shows the current sort. Pressing that will drop down choices. I have "Title" (the default), "Author", "File Type", "Recent Reads" and "Date Added". Select one to change the sort order used. This will be used for all shelves until you change it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #892
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
When you are viewing any list in the library, above the list on the left there is "by XXXX". That shows the current sort. Pressing that will drop down choices. I have "Title" (the default), "Author", "File Type", "Recent Reads" and "Date Added". Select one to change the sort order used. This will be used for all shelves until you change it.
Good to know. I withdraw my wish/request
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:42 AM   #893
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
RareBird thank you. I had thought the covers for the short list would be the carosel as they no longer appear across the bottom of the screen. I liked having that access. Great to know I can have it by opening the book. Much appreciated.
@Davidfor, I had forgotten that, thank you.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:34 AM   #894
dioioib
Enthusiast
dioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch N905B
I would love to see a proper error trap for processing content. I am sick of having to load pdf and epub files one by one because the KT does not handle the error. Create an error trap that traverses the book and generates an error so I can take that file off the card and contact the provider for a new copy. The lack of error handling seems archaic and should be updated.
dioioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #895
timss
timss began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
I agree with corpsegoddess, the shelves are a great start, now just some refinements to make the feature complete.
timss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #896
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
This is probably a really silly request, but I'd love to see the sleep and power-off screens reformatted so that the percentage read bar doesn't obscure the upper portion of the book cover. Maybe move the bar to the very top of the screen and have the book cover start below that?
Oh, yes please! Or... remove the bar completely.

Also, I'd love for all covers to be displayed full screen, 600x800 pixels and without margins. It is now such an immense hassle to get the xhtml in epubs exactly correct, and the image the right ratio... The KT should be able to override any nonsense code and just display covers nice and full screenly without me having to put hours and hours into messing about with all my books.

Please put clock back right there in front of my nose when tapping in the bottom-middle whilst reading a book.

Speaking of clock: PLEASE add option to make the clock a 24-hour clock for the English system (as well as the currently present 24-hour clock option for other system languages).

My 'Discover' on my KT is full of Dutch books. Yes, I live in The Netherlands, but I do not read Dutch books. I've never bought a Dutch book from Kobo nor have I ever shown interest in a Dutch book on Kobo. Please get rid of all the Dutch!

Yes please to points 1-6 of Corpsegoddess and additional point 7 of MacEachaidh. My preference for point 1 is to have shelves be folders on the KT, so I can really easily create and edit them from my computer.

Oh, and, evidently, faster page turns again please.

But most importantly: Kobo, thank you heaps, I love my KT!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #897
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Also, I'd love for all covers to be displayed full screen, 600x800 pixels and without margins. It is now such an immense hassle to get the xhtml in epubs exactly correct, and the image the right ratio... The KT should be able to override any nonsense code and just display covers nice and full screenly without me having to put hours and hours into messing about with all my books.
But make that an option, please, since I rather have margins and a complete and not distorted cover...

Quote:
Speaking of clock: PLEASE add option to make the clock a 24-hour clock for the English system (as well as the currently present 24-hour clock option for other system languages).
Yes, please. There are English speaking people who actually use the 24-hour-clock system.

Quote:
My 'Discover' on my KT is full of Dutch books. Yes, I live in The Netherlands, but I do not read Dutch books. I've never bought a Dutch book from Kobo nor have I ever shown interest in a Dutch book on Kobo. Please get rid of all the Dutch!
And of the German for me... I only buy English books from Kobo and don't want all the recommendations in German, just because I happen to live in Germany...
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:30 AM   #898
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
...Speaking of clock: PLEASE add option to make the clock a 24-hour clock for the English system (as well as the currently present 24-hour clock option for other system languages).
This bothers me as well. I have 24-hour clock configured for every other gadget I own except my Kobo.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #899
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alissa View Post
After about 10 days of reading with kobo touch, my number one wish is regarding the go to next page operation. I sometimes hold my kobo with my left hand and sometimes with my right hand. When I hold with my left hand to read an English book, I need to swipe outward on the screen with my left thumb. It is a difficult operation and I frequently fail to do appropriately, causing the screen to go to the previous page but next. It is frustrating.

I believe you euro/american users already know what I'm talking about, but here is another problem in Japan.

Some Japanese ebooks are set in vertical-writing, meaning each line is placed vertically that you read top to bottom, and you read lines from the right most line on the page to the left. It is a traditional Japanese book style. When kt shows you a Japanese ebook in vertical-writing, it flips the meaning of next and prevous; you need to tap on the left to go to the next page, and tapping on the right leads you to the previous page. It is very confusing and irritating. AND we have a swipe problem at the same time.

Simply making a tap on any of the two sides to go always to the next page seems a better way. A configurable option to do so seems a good enhancement.
Disregard if you already knew this. When in the book you can change the zone config in advanced settings, tap majority of left screen side to flip forward, tap majority of right side to flip forward, and default three equal zones.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #900
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
I agree though that there should be a way to sort the books once they are put into shelves.
"Ah, a folder within a folder. Two levels"

"Three"
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote