Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
JEMelby
Save the Stone Tablet
JEMelby began at the beginning.

Device: Coleco ADAM (With high-speed digital tape drive!)
It's Decided: The Sony Reader, Almost

After months of lurking in various forums, scanning tech blogs, considering my requirements, and finally asking a few questions here, I have reached a consensus between 3 of my 7 perosnalities (2 obstaining, 1 for staying with paper, and 1 in favor of going back to clay and stylus). I have settled on the Sony Reader. As a consesion to one of the obstaining personalities, I have decided to hold out a bit longer in hopes that the Sony Reader will soon be available with the Vizplex®™ upgrade.

I decided on the Sony Reader mainly because of its availability. I understand that it can be purchased at several chain electronics stores such as Best Buy, and it can be ordered direct from Sony with some attractive incentives. I further assume that since it has achived early and widespread acceptance by this and other communities, that there is a wealth of "home-grown" support for the device.

Since this decision isn't final untill I hit the "order" button, or sign the receipt at the local electronics store, I might change one or more of my minds. If the Bookeen becomes individually available* before the Sony upgrades to Vizplex®™, or if the NUUT makes it to US shores, I may have a whole new internal debate to deal with

*despite the obvious merits of owning several such devices, 200 units is more than even someone of my myriad and assorted personifications could utilize.

For those slower thinkers in the audience, or those not blessed with a multi-threaded thought proccess, this post is a final plea for dissenting opinion. A final chance for all of you salient and erudite dilettantes to talk a sorid neophyte off the ledge before he (they) make the ultimate, and irrevocable plunge into e-book obsurity.

Last edited by JEMelby; 07-02-2007 at 09:06 PM.
JEMelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Since it was almost a year between the announcement of the Sony Reader and the first retail sales of the Sony Reader and given that there has been no announcement of a subsequent version of the Sony Reader, I would not expect a new version in the near future (defined as this summer and fall.)

There are stories of a second firmware update coming in the next month or so for the existing unit. Since the basic functions are well established it seems the major purpose of the update is to fix problems from the last update (such as the battery meter) and perhaps to add additional functionality (hopefully) such as collections on the add-in memory card and maybe to extend the useful range of SD cards beyond 2 GB. Adobe Digital Editions has recently been released for a Windows environment and they say a Linux version should be in beta by the end of the year. I would be surprised if that was in the next update if the stated timing is correct.

There have been changes in the Sony CONNECT store organization and the book group seems to be the only one surviving. They have been adding additional ebooks since the beginning but they still have a problem in setting some of their prices at or below Amazon for the same titles.

Therefore I don't see an advantage for Sony to release a new version of the Reader at this time. Once more of the support pieces are in place and their engineers have something more to offer than just a Vizplex enhancement we might see a new version.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2007, 09:51 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMelby View Post
After months of lurking in various forums, scanning tech blogs, considering my requirements, and finally asking a few questions here, I have reached a consensus between 3 of my 7 perosnalities (2 obstaining, 1 for staying with paper, and 1 in favor of going back to clay and stylus). I have settled on the Sony Reader. As a consesion to one of the obstaining personalities, I have decided to hold out a bit longer in hopes that the Sony Reader will soon be available with the Vizplex®™ upgrade.
You might be able to buy a Bookeen Cybook by either September or October from NAEB. It looks like they will be the first to sell them. Here is their website:

www.naebllc.com

I know, the name is odd.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:53 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The NUUT does not seem like it'll make it if it ever hits the US. I just don't see it. The Cybook might be good. But it's not out yet. So no way to be sure. The Sony however has support. Very good support. There are good tools to get content onto the Sony. True, it's not the new screen, but from what we've been told, the Cybook won't have the newest screen either on roll out. So you get a Cybook and still wont get the new screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
True, it's not the new screen, but from what we've been told, the Cybook won't have the newest screen either on roll out.
I ... don't think that's correct, JSWolf. From what we're hearing from the NAEB folks, waiting for the new Vizplex (did I spell it right this time, yvanleterrible?) screen is a large part of what's holding up the Cybook at the moment.

Unless ... I missed something somehere?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I ... don't think that's correct, JSWolf. From what we're hearing from the NAEB folks, waiting for the new Vizplex (did I spell it right this time, yvanleterrible?) screen is a large part of what's holding up the Cybook at the moment.

Unless ... I missed something somehere?
If I am remembering what I read correctly, the initial screens are not going to have the proper number of bits that they wanted initially and will be rolled out when they can be supported (or something like that).
Old 07-03-2007, 11:28 AM   #7
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Sony however has support. Very good support.
Really? Where? They only got a phonenumber listed for the sony reader, and it's not even a working number.... or are you talking about unofficial support?
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Really? Where? They only got a phone number listed for the sony reader, and it's not even a working number.... or are you talking about unofficial support?
1-866-962-7669 — that is the number I just got off of the SonyStyle website for direct customer care. Good Luck!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:55 PM   #9
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
People from bookeen told me that the Cybook will be available
by septembre or with luck mid/late-august on their website.
And it WILL include a Vizplex screen for SURE!!!

Once more it will certainly bring support for Mobipocket which is
a great lack of the Sony reader.

Do like me, buy a dozen of pocket books and wait a bit!

Last edited by guguy; 07-19-2007 at 07:37 PM.
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:52 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post

Do you like, buy a dozen of pocket books and wait a bit!
Actually, what I do when I buy books is buy them in LIT format and convert to LRF via Book Designer. I could and would do the same thing if Sony supporte Mobipocket. So to me, it makes no difference as to MobiPocket or BbeB (LRF) as I'd do the same thing anyway. And this way, I have DRM free books that I can convert if I was to someday buy another reader that supported Mobipocket. I'd be able to keep most of my purchased books (except for my purchased LRF books).
Old 07-19-2007, 02:46 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post
Let's wait and see. These delivery dates have a habit of slipping. I remember it being "promised" for May!

Quote:
It may be useful for some, but the Sony BBeB format will do things which the Mobipocket format (AFAIK) will not, such as allow the embedding of fonts. Eg, I use my Reader to read texts in ancient Greek, using a suitable font embedded in the document. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I could do that with Mobipocket?

All of these things have their pros and cons.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Then you *might* want to wait...

As I can firmly state that the Bookeen device will support uploading/use of custom TrueType fonts.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Let's wait and see. These delivery dates have a habit of slipping. I remember it being "promised" for May!

It may be useful for some, but the Sony BBeB format will do things which the Mobipocket format (AFAIK) will not, such as allow the embedding of fonts. Eg, I use my Reader to read texts in ancient Greek, using a suitable font embedded in the document. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I could do that with Mobipocket?

All of these things have their pros and cons.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote