Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #10381
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
You have - well done Hamlet. So that's:

4 to Stitchawl
3 to Shayne
2 to Latinandgreek
1 to Hamlet

Over to you, Stitchawl.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:05 AM   #10382
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Remember... no looking it up...

Who was Carol Ann Doda, and what did she do that brought her International fame?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 04:58 AM   #10383
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Who was Carol Ann Doda, and what did she do that brought her International fame?
No idea at all. Let's take a wild stab in the dark. Was she Helen Keller's teacher?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #10384
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
No idea at all. Let's take a wild stab in the dark. Was she Helen Keller's teacher?
Nope! That was Annie Sullivan. (Great movie. One of the few that actually make me cry during the final scenes. EVERY TIME I WATCH IT!! "The Miracle Worker")

Stitchawl
Old 12-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #10385
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Nor me. But I do agreeThe Miracle Worker is a great film. That moment when Helen makes the connection is so moving.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #10386
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Remember... no looking it up...

Stitchawl
The first woman to dance topless in America at the Condor Club in San Francisco? I think think this was in the late 1960s or early 1970s.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #10387
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
The first woman to dance topless in America at the Condor Club in San Francisco? I think think this was in the late 1960s or early 1970s.
Yes, she did, but that's not what gave her International fame.

Stitchawl
Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #10388
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Nor me. But I do agreeThe Miracle Worker is a great film. That moment when Helen makes the connection is so moving.
Honest to God, I actually cry during that scene!

Stitchawl
Old 12-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #10389
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Yes, she did, but that's not what gave her International fame.

Stitchawl
Then you have me stumped without doing a search. The only other trivia I know that would be at all related is about a macabre funny incident that happened at that club, but did not involve Doda.

Wait I do have a guess that is probably wrong. Something to do with her getting breast implants?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #10390
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Then you have me stumped without doing a search. The only other trivia I know that would be at all related is about a macabre funny incident that happened at that club, but did not involve Doda.

Wait I do have a guess that is probably wrong. Something to do with her getting breast implants?
THAT is what I was looking for! She made International news by being the first woman to have silicone breast implants turning from a size 34 to a size 44!

Take it away, Hamlet!

Stitchawl
Old 12-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #10391
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

What are goober peas? What is the origin of this expression? What led to the expression gaining wide use?
Old 12-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #10392
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Not sure, but I"ll guess..

I know goober is in relation to peanuts and they open like pea pods to get the the stuff inside. So, goober peas are the nuts inside the peanut shells?

I believe it is a southern (US) term from a long time ago.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #10393
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Not sure, but I"ll guess..

I know goober is in relation to peanuts and they open like pea pods to get the the stuff inside. So, goober peas are the nuts inside the peanut shells?

I believe it is a southern (US) term from a long time ago.
Yes, peanuts. One point.

The term did arise in the Southern US, but I am looking for more than that. More of the Etymology.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #10394
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Easy peasy! (No pun inteneded)

Borrowed word from one of the African languages, brought over by the slave trade. Peanuts were a food staple for the slaves and they used their word for it. The slave owners corrupted it into 'goober.' One of the first folk songs I learned to play on the guitar!

Sitting by the roadside on a summer's day
Chatting with my mess-mates, passing time away
Lying in the shadows underneath the trees
Goodness, how delicious, eating goober peas.

Stitchawl
Old 12-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #10395
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Easy peasy! (No pun inteneded)

Borrowed word from one of the African languages, brought over by the slave trade. Peanuts were a food staple for the slaves and they used their word for it. The slave owners corrupted it into 'goober.' One of the first folk songs I learned to play on the guitar!

Sitting by the roadside on a summer's day
Chatting with my mess-mates, passing time away
Lying in the shadows underneath the trees
Goodness, how delicious, eating goober peas.

Stitchawl
Yes. Of African origin entering southern use from slaves. In the latter part of the Civil War boiled peanuts were often all Confederate soldiers had to eat and that song became popular among them. It has been a folk music staple ever since.

So that's one point for Dreams and two for Stichawl.