Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
ronw
Enthusiast
ronw began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Help with Kobo

I need some help please with Kobo. When I read a book and press the button for next page the screen flashes to a black screen and then gives the new page. I guess that it is the processor redrawing the page but just wanted to be sure that everyone has the same when they change pages. It is quite annoying and tends to be disruptive to my reading
ronw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
I take it, this is your very first e-reader?

This is common to all E-ink screens.
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
It is quite normal. I think its kinda cool. You will get used to it...
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
It keeps the page from ghosting. When the second Kindle came out this was a bit of a problem (it was fixed in an update) and I would refresh the page every so often because of the ghosting.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:15 AM   #5
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronw View Post
It is quite annoying and tends to be disruptive to my reading
It's perfectly normal for eInk screens, and you'll get used to it very quickly. It takes ~1 second which is about the same as it would take to turn the page of a paperback book.

The reversed black/white during the refresh actually acts as a nice visual reminder that the page is turning. If the transition was immediate and seamless I think it would actually be hard to tell if the page had turned or not!

I find myself anticipating the end of the page, and hitting the right d-pad button while I'm reading the last line so that the refreshes just as I finish the page!
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I find myself anticipating the end of the page, and hitting the right d-pad button while I'm reading the last line so that the refreshes just as I finish the page!
Exactly! Me too! In the same way I would pick the corner and hold my finger underneath the page for a quick flip in a read book
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote