Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
95% sold on the Sony Reader

I currently read off of a Palm TX PDA and a Dell Axim PDA. Thinking of getting a dedicated ebook reading device and am looking at the Sony Reader. I have pretty much decided that it would be a better choice than IRex.

Here is what is holding me back. I have a horrible knack for buying a gizmo only to have a new model released within a few months of me buying it. Does anyone know if Sony is planning on releasing a new model of the reader anytime soon? I have searched the Internet looking for news and haven't found anything on it, but I wanted to ask you all since you follow this market much closer than I.

Also, I have about 450 ebooks in a variety of formats that I plan on converting. Does the Sony EReader support a 2 GB SD card?

Anyone tried the lamp that connects to the Sony Reader for nighttime reading?

Thanks all!
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, Lov3Read!

You can find out lots about folks experiences with clip on lights and the Reader, in the Reader Accessories forum, the latest discussion thread is here, but there are other threads on the topic too.

There were some rumors about a 'next model' but that was 5 months ago, with nary a hint of a peep since. I haven't been able to dig up with anything that would indicate any work on a version next, so my guess is that if they are, it must bee in the early concept stage, and we wouldn't see it for at least another year or so.

And you can salt that to suit your taste.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
And yes, the Reader does support the 2 GB SD card.

There are many conversion tools available including BookDesigner and html2lrf (libprs500) to make LRF files for the Reader and a host of others to create RTF files from almost anything.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #4
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Lov2... I'm an exception I think on this board. Most people only put 10 or 12 books on their reader at once. I have so far 178 books on mine. I bought a 2 GB sd card and it still haas 1.8 gigs left to fill. Some people find it a pain in the patootie to scroll through 178 titles but they show at ten titles per page. When I consider how much time I used to spend driving to the library or Borders books or at yard sales then perusing the stacks, tables etc.. Going through JUNK to try and find a treasure when at this site you have fanatic bookworms putting their favorite books on the ebooks page to read... i keep on downloading book sand storing them away for a rainy day like a squireel burying acorns.

I'm sold! When Sony. (Or any other company for that matter) puts out a new reader like the Sony Reader, (Assuming my reader is wore out) I'll probably buy that one if its better but so far I am ABSOLUTELY satisfied with my reader. Its one of the few products I've ever bought that completely fulfills what I want it to do. I have no problem at all scrolling through 17 pages of book titles to find the book I'm in the mood for reading. (17 page clicks)

Buy it you'll like it.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the info. I ordered it and it should be arriving shortly. I am looking forward to playing with it!

Thanks again!
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:53 PM   #6
Dzkiba
Dzkiba began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Lov2... I'm an exception I think on this board. Most people only put 10 or 12 books on their reader at once. I have so far 178 books on mine. I bought a 2 GB sd card and it still haas 1.8 gigs left to fill. Some people find it a pain in the patootie to scroll through 178 titles but they show at ten titles per page. When I consider how much time I used to spend driving to the library or Borders books or at yard sales then perusing the stacks, tables etc.. Going through JUNK to try and find a treasure when at this site you have fanatic bookworms putting their favorite books on the ebooks page to read... i keep on downloading book sand storing them away for a rainy day like a squireel burying acorns.

I'm sold! When Sony. (Or any other company for that matter) puts out a new reader like the Sony Reader, (Assuming my reader is wore out) I'll probably buy that one if its better but so far I am ABSOLUTELY satisfied with my reader. Its one of the few products I've ever bought that completely fulfills what I want it to do. I have no problem at all scrolling through 17 pages of book titles to find the book I'm in the mood for reading. (17 page clicks)

Buy it you'll like it.
I agree with you Sony Reader is great!
ps: I guess you have used the Collections Tools, if not try to use it, you won't need to scroll down 17 pages filled with ebooks, instead you can choose
the collection you have created, for example a classic, historic, fiction, etc.. collection. They are just shortcuts to your books.
Dzkiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #7
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

I know.. The only problem is, The Collections tool only works on books stored on internal memory. It doesn't work on books on the Sd card.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But given how many books can be stored on the internal memory, that's not usually an issue.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:59 PM   #9
oboy
oboy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But given how many books can be stored on the internal memory, that's not usually an issue.

Try putting 181 Doc Savage stories on it. It pretty much fills it up, and knocks out other collections, like The Shadow and Tarzan.
oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #10
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The sony supports 2 GB cards. The problem is that it doesn´t have so much options and with a lot of books on the card it takes ages to set a bookmark for instance (needs over 25 seconds).

For the price of 100 - 150 USD the sony is fine .. but it isn´t worth more. For more performance the iLiad is definitively better ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #11
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
I finally received my super-discounted Reader, and I am extremely happy with it. I burned through my free credit quite easily, and racked up some nice debits to my bank account just as easily. Not having to trudge to the Border's in 90+F heat, and only $8 (avg) per book? Priceless.
To be honest, when I first powered it on, the screen re-flash was a bit weird, and I started to think "if only it had colour, if only it had wi-fi, if only...." Then I realised that I was asking for my book to be as smart as a laptop!
The SONY Reader is great so far, especially as a replacement for all those pesky books. However, if you want more sophisticated functions out our your e-text device, try something else.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #12
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The main problem is that it is very slow. For a lot of books half of the time you´re just waiting to react. I also had several crashes (with the newest firmware). It just freezed or didn´t recognize the books on the memore card anymore (if you plug it out and in again it starts indexing the whole memory disk ... and you wait over four minutes again).

I don´t know the iLiad yet, but I think it has a lot of more power to do the tasks a lot of faster.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
The sony supports 2 GB cards. The problem is that it doesn´t have so much options and with a lot of books on the card it takes ages to set a bookmark for instance (needs over 25 seconds).

For the price of 100 - 150 USD the sony is fine .. but it isn´t worth more. For more performance the iLiad is definitively better ...
But remember the iLiad is $750.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:04 PM   #14
oboy
oboy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
It just freezed or didn´t recognize the books on the memore card anymore (if you plug it out and in again it starts indexing the whole memory disk ... and you wait over four minutes again).
Did you have a lot of non-lrf files on it, or mostly lrf files?

I've found that with lrf files, even books of 800+ pages (in small font), loads up with ease, and quickly converts to M or L font. War and Peace (4000+ pages), took a lot longer.

I've removed all non-lrf files from my Reader, because PDF is totally useless, and stuff like Project Gutenburg needs reformatting unless you like broken lines.

Using Book Designer is simple enough, but one still has to clean up the file before converting it to lrf.
oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #15
joblack
Wizard

They are almost only lrf files ... bookdesigner is fine, but isn´t importing pictures and tables from a pdf file.