Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
BobWhite
BobWhite began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 680/Sony PRS-500
Calibre Questions

I have Calibre installed on my Acer Laptop, running WinXP Pro, all updated. I recently replaced the hard drive with a new one, and installed the latest version of Calibre on it.

Of course, the library is empty, and I want to copy everything from my PRS-500 to a folder. I keep getting USB timeouts during the copy. The error message is:

Job: **Download books from device**
**Error**: Could not read 4096 bytes on the bulk bus. Error code: -116
**Traceback**:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.pyo", line 20, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.pyo", line 171, in _save_books
File "calibre\devices\prs500\driver.pyo", line 159, in run_session
File "calibre\devices\prs500\driver.pyo", line 480, in get_file
File "calibre\devices\prs500\driver.pyo", line 397, in _bulk_read
File "calibre\devices\prs500\driver.pyo", line 384, in bulk_read_packet
File "calibre\devices\libusb.pyo", line 251, in bulk_read
Error: Could not read 4096 bytes on the bulk bus. Error code: -116

Some files get copied, but this error keeps getting thrown in random places, and I can't tell it to restart copying at the next file.

The Sony software has not been installed, so there shouldn't be a conflict there.

Also, I have difficulty getting Calibre to recognize the PRS-500 is connected. Windows knows it's there. The PRS screen says the USB is connected, but the Reader and SD card never show up in Calibre. I try plugging and unplugging the Reader, starting and restarting Calibre, but nothing seems to work. This morning, I rebooted the PC and after XP restarted, the Reader was recognized as soon as I started Calibre. Is there a way to request Calibre go look again for the Reader if it doesn't find it initially?

Thanks,

Bob
BobWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Restarting calibre will force it to try to redetect the reader. As fo rthe timeouts the only thing I can suggest is trying a new USB cable/port
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
BobWhite

What I've Tried

Kovid,

I've used the same cable to add books to the Reader and have never had any problems with it.

Nonetheless, I tried a new cable and a new port on my laptop. The Reader was detected quickly this time, so that may have had some impact. However, the copy to disk still failed with the same error.

I have 347 books on my Reader -- 202 on an SD card and 146 on the internal memory. I can copy the stuff off the SD card by removing it from the Reader and copying it directly. Is it possible to attach the Reader and make it appear as a USB drive (only) and copy the files off it that way?

I don't believe it's a port issue -- as I said, I've tried two different ones on the laptop without success. FWIW, I routinely copy 6 megapixel photos from my camera to the laptop without any difficulty.

I also tried copying to disk with the Reader plugged in with the AC adapter. That didn't make any difference, either.

Whatever is happening, it's leaving the Reader in a state that it thinks it's still copying. I've quit Calibre completely (no icon on the taskbar) and the Reader still has the "Don't unplug while copying" message.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 02-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Unfortunately the firmware in the PRS-500 does not allow it to be seen as a USB disk. Sounds as if youa re going to have to persevere with trying to get the books on the internal memory off the hard way.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWhite View Post
Whatever is happening, it's leaving the Reader in a state that it thinks it's still copying. I've quit Calibre completely (no icon on the taskbar) and the Reader still has the "Don't unplug while copying" message.
Someone was having this problem and it turned out to be due to some third party screen/saver theme. Was that you.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm do you have another computer you can try on?
Old 02-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
BobWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Someone was having this problem and it turned out to be due to some third party screen/saver theme. Was that you.

BOb
No, that must have been the honest Bob...
Old 02-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
BobWhite

Testing, testing....1.2.3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hmm do you have another computer you can try on?
Yes, I do have other computers. I'll have to install Calibre and test it out.

Bob
Old 02-08-2009, 01:10 AM   #9
BobWhite

Quote:
Yes, I do have other computers. I'll have to install Calibre and test it out.

Bob
I installed the latest version on another PC. This PC has never had the Sony software installed on it.

The results were no better:

Job: **Download books from device**
**Error**: Could not read 4096 bytes on the bulk bus. Error code: -116
**Traceback**:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.pyo", line 20, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.pyo", line 171, in _save_books
File "calibre\devices\prs500\driver.pyo", line 159, in run_session
File "calibre\devices\prs500\driver.pyo", line 480, in get_file
File "calibre\devices\prs500\driver.pyo", line 397, in _bulk_read
File "calibre\devices\prs500\driver.pyo", line 384, in bulk_read_packet
File "calibre\devices\libusb.pyo", line 251, in bulk_read
Error: Could not read 4096 bytes on the bulk bus. Error code: -116

Bob
Old 02-08-2009, 01:58 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm in that case its most likely your reader that's dying
Old 02-08-2009, 02:24 AM   #11
jimbob101
Connoisseur
jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle App Android, Kindle PW2, Calibre
I've had problems not Reader related from time to time with copying large numbers of files form PC to USB or back.

All i can suggest is to copy 10-20 at a time rather than all at once. It'll take a little longer but if it works well mission accomplished
jimbob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #12
BobWhite

It can't die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hmm in that case its most likely your reader that's dying
I use it too much to let it die! It isn't CRITICAL that I be able to copy the files off the Reader. I do have the originals still on my PC. It's just that they're easier to find on the reader.

I have tried copying smaller numbers of files. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Bob
Old 02-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
I use it too much to let it die! It isn't CRITICAL that I be able to copy the files off the Reader. I do have the originals still on my PC. It's just that they're easier to find on the reader.

I have tried copying smaller numbers of files. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Bob
Yeah intermittent problems are usually a sign of hardware problems.