Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-10-2008, 03:32 AM   #1
i, Podius
Enthusiast
i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Dell Axim x51v, Bookeen CyBook Gen 3, Sony PRS-T1
I'm thinking of buying the PRS-505, but could still use a little advice.

I'm looking to buy my first e-book reader, something that I've been thinking about ever since the PRS-500 first came over two years ago. It's astonishing to realise I've been pondering and prevaricating for that long!

Anyway, up until a few days ago I was thinking about getting the Hanlin Bebook, on account of its support for the widest selection of formats. However, having now read so many reviews that the thought of reading any more makes me feel physically ill, and having thought about what I want, I'm thinking the PRS-505 is actually my best bet. However, before I pull the trigger on it, I thought I'd share my reasoning with you and see if there's anything I've overlooked or misunderstood.

So first, I suppose, I should lay out the premises of my position:
1. I intend to use my e-book reader primarily for reading novels, with the occasional non-fiction book thrown in, and perhaps a comic or two. I have no need to read specific technical documents.
2. I have no interest in purchasing content that is locked by DRM or obscure proprietary formats which I cannot break or convert easily to an open format, on account of wishing to ensure that my library is future-proof. I also disagree philosophically with the idea of DRM.
3. I use a Mac, although I can boot into Windows if need be, though frankly, I usually can't be bothered.
4. I live in Australia.

Now I realise that the second premise does, ironically, preclude me from buying any books from Sony's Connect store. However, given that I don't have a US credit card, it's sort of a moot point anyway.

As I said, I was planning on buying the Bebook, but reading about how although it does support many formats, that support is generally less than stellar gave me pause. I then realised that it made far more sense for me to format-shift my e-books as necessary, and instead purchase my e-book reader based on its hardware, as opposed to its format support. Consequently, the PRS-505 seems the better bet to me because:
1. It has a superior (8-level greyscale) screen
2. It's aesthetically much more appealing
3. It's physically smaller
4. It has a nicer user interface (according to the reviews I've read)

Of course, there are some downsides to the reader, namely the complete lack of warranty/support from Sony, on account of my living in Australia. Also, being a Mac user precludes me from using their e-book library software, however there is the calibre software that looks just good, if not better. Or I could just connect it as a mass-storage device and dump the books I want on it.

Finally, I'm operating on the assumption that Lexcycle's Stanza should cover all of my format-conversion needs. Is this right, or is there some major e-book format that I've missed?

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking. If any of you can see any mistakes that I've made, or notice anything that I've missed, I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks!
i, Podius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:55 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The PRS-505 is a very nice machine, but MobiPocket is THE dominant format which every make of eInk device EXCEPT Sony supports. There's a lot to be said for getting a device with MobiPocket support. I have the CyBook Gen3, which currently offers the best support for this format (and also, unlike the Sony, has a world-wide warranty).

Yes, one can certainly shift format, but why bother, when getting Mobi books is so easy? Lots of different retailers, and none of that "go away if you aren't in the USA" nonsense.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:59 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Since you want to format shift and maintain your own collection of "open" books, the Sony is by far the best choice for you. And dont use Stanza for conversion. Calibre's conversion is *much* better.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Since you want to format shift and maintain your own collection of "open" books, the Sony is by far the best choice for you.
Why, Kovid? The tools available to convert to MobiPocket format are, with the greatest respect, just as good as those available to convert to LRF format.

... and why convert at all, if you don't need to?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
i, Podius
Enthusiast
i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Dell Axim x51v, Bookeen CyBook Gen 3, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The PRS-505 is a very nice machine, but MobiPocket is THE dominant format which every make of eInk device EXCEPT Sony supports. There's a lot to be said for getting a device with MobiPocket support. I have the CyBook Gen3, which currently offers the best support for this format (and also, unlike the Sony, has a world-wide warranty).

Yes, one can certainly shift format, but why bother, when getting Mobi books is so easy? Lots of different retailers, and none of that "go away if you aren't in the USA" nonsense.
I must admit the CyBook does have some appealing features - dictionary lookup, 12 font sizes & customisable fonts, MobiPocket support, it's lighter, I can pick it up from a store instead of waiting for international delivery, the warranty support and it also seems to have a faster page refresh? On the other hand, its user interface appears to be significantly poorer. The fact that it doesn't remember your place in the book, for instance, is a big one. And I'm unclear on how its bookmarking works, other than the fact that Register Hardware found it to be a bit of a hassle. Finally, of course, there's the question of price - the CyBook is $599, plus $49.95 if I want the case. The Sony Reader, by comparison, is $512 delivered, with case, at the current exchange rate, and the way the dollar's currently moving it will hopefully be below $500 in a few days.

However, most of the reviews I've read are quite old - about a year, for the most part, and most of the issues they have are ones that may have subsequently been fixed with firmware updates. So I was wondering if these issues had been addressed:
1. Does the CyBook now remember where you were up to if you close the book?
2. Has the sorting/filtering of books been improved? Is there support for folders yet?
3. Do books display page numbers now? Is page-number based navigation possible?
4. Does it display the battery level while you are reading a book?

I guess what I'm wondering is; given that it costs an extra $150, and if it still has what seem to be some fundamental issues, is native MobiPocket support and a warranty (which in my experience, are rarely of much use - with the exception of iPods) really worth it?
i, Podius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by i, Podius View Post
The fact that it doesn't remember your place in the book, for instance, is a big one.
You are mistaken on that point - it automatically remembers your place in every book that you read.

Quote:
And I'm unclear on how its bookmarking works, other than the fact that Register Hardware found it to be a bit of a hassle.
I certainly don't find it to be a hassle - one is hardly likely to want to set a menu on that many pages, after all! To set a bookmark, one presses the button to display the menu, then selects "Bookmarks...", "Add Bookmark".

Quote:
It always has done!

Quote:
2. Has the sorting/filtering of books been improved? Is there support for folders yet?
One can sort books on a number of different criterea. Folder support has been promised for the next firmware update, due in "early 2009".

Quote:
Page numbers aren't displayed, because the CyBook (unlike the Sony) allows you to load any font you wish, and view any book in any font, at any of 12 sizes. What you get is a progress bar which is - IMHO - a lot more useful. You CAN go to a page number if you wish, but there's really very little point in doing so. Page number is rather an irrelevent concept in eBooks.

Quote:
No, but the battery life is so long that that is entirely irrelevent. Reading intensively for a week will probably half drain the battery.

Quote:
I guess what I'm wondering is; given that it costs an extra $150, and if it still has what seem to be some fundamental issues, is native MobiPocket support and a warranty (which in my experience, are rarely of much use - with the exception of iPods) really worth it?
[/quote]

No, but the other benefits of it, IMHO, are, including:

- The ability to load any TrueType or OpenType font you wish onto the machine.
- 12 font sizes, compared to 3 on the Sony.
- Proper support for font families - ie "real" bold and italic fonts, compared to synthesised ones on the Sony.
- Dictionary lookup (which personally I find to be HUGELY useful).
- A user-replaceable battery.

I used to own a Sony, but have absolutely no regrets at all about changing to a CyBook. For me personally, it's a much better machine.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
So I was wondering if these issues had been addressed:
1. This was always supported as I remember it. Some people had problem with this not working but that seem to have been resolved.

2. No.

3. No.

4. No. And I really miss this.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
One can sort books on a number of different criterea. Folder support has been promised for the next firmware update, due in "early 2009".
Are you sure? I do not remember seeing any definite promises and would not be surprised if we will not see folder support early 2009.

Quote:
No, but the battery life is so long that that is entirely irrelevent. Reading intensively for a week will probably half drain the battery.
The battery life if you have it on all the time is pretty short. I am measuring it now but I think it will only be around 4 days when you are not doing any reading. I suspect that if you read alot it will not last you a week. And if you do not turn it off it probably will just last a couple of days.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Are you sure? I do not remember seeing any definite promises and would not be surprised if we will not see folder support early 2009.
I believe it was specified as being "next", yes. Of course, it would be foolish to buy a machine on the basis of what it will do in the future compared to what it will do now, and nothing is every certain!

Quote:
The battery life if you have it on all the time is pretty short. I am measuring it now but I think it will only be around 4 days when you are not doing any reading. I suspect that if you read alot it will not last you a week. And if you do not turn it off it probably will just last a couple of days.
That is true, but I suspect that you are rather unusual in leaving it turned on all the time. Personally I find the boot time to be sufficiently short that this is unnecessary. Getting a battery time of a couple of weeks is worth waiting 25s for it to start up for me.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

One additional point, by the way: the CyBook is cheaper than the Sony PRS-505 here in the UK. Are you sure that it's $150 more expensive where you are?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The fact that it doesn't remember your place in the book, for instance, is a big one.
As people have said, this is not true. I think what is that case is that when you turn it back on you are brought to the library screen rather than the page you left of on as the Sony does.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
As people have said, this is not true. I think what is that case is that when you turn it back on you are brought to the library screen rather than the page you left of on as the Sony does.

BOb
You are, but the book that you were most recently reading is "selected" in the library, so all you have to do to get back to your reading position is press one button.

There are pros and cons to both approaches - the Gen3's method is nice if you have several books "on the go" at a time. It would be nice to have the choice, though, of starting up in the library or in the last-read book!
Old 12-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
You are, but the book that you were most recently reading is "selected" in the library, so all you have to do to get back to your reading position is press one button.
Right... I wasn't saying it was bad... just trying to explain maybe why he had thought the position wasn't saved.

Of course, on the Sony you can press menu twice (I think) to get back to the library. So, 6 of one... One the Kindle you are brought back to the same location and one press of the home button brings you to the library (home).

Quote:
There are pros and cons to both approaches - the Gen3's method is nice if you have several books "on the go" at a time. It would be nice to have the choice, though, of starting up in the library or in the last-read book!
Agreed!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:19 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Right... I wasn't saying it was bad... just trying to explain maybe why he had thought the position wasn't saved.
Another reason could be that there was a genuine bug with saving bookmarks in the original firmware, but it's long since been fixed. These days, if someone has trouble saving bookmarks it pretty much always indicates a corrupted file system.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Why, Kovid? The tools available to convert to MobiPocket format are, with the greatest respect, just as good as those available to convert to LRF format.

... and why convert at all, if you don't need to?
No, they're not even close, but lets put that aside, since I'm obviously biased

The OP has stated he wants to maintain a collection of deDRMed, format shifted books. Let's consider the two most open and most powerful formats, epub and pdf. The SONY currently has the best epub support of any device, the Cybook, doesn't support it at all. The PDF support on the SONY is superior to that on the Cybook.

As I have explained on a number of other occasions, if you want to maintain your own library, mobipocket is *not* a good format to do it in. If I were advising someone to looking to build a private library, I'd advise them to build it in epub. And the SONY and perhaps the iPhone are the only devices that allow you to enjoy an epub library today.

The only real advantage to MOBI is widespread avaialability to *DRMed* content. Since it is the format that is the easiest to deDRM, it makes no sense to purchase a MOBI only device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote