Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #31
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Yes, I know the K3 and K4 are quite different in many respects.

I was just stating that it "could happen" that the file does not get deleted.
And the user storage feature implementation is very similar among all machines.

An even better question, better suited for a topic of its own, is:
How do you exit diags when ENABLE_DIAGS does not get deleted and the USB port is burned out?

My first guess at that one: Ship it back home.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #32
proximus
proximus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Ok, I made three screenshots to clarify the situation for you guys.

1) The directory F:\ : as you can see there is no ENABLE_DIAGS file.
2) The directory F:\diagnostic_logs : there's the famous file I created (and which I copy there everytime after I reboot the kindle).
3) The MfgTool: well, I selected the USB port of the Kindle in the "Configuaration" menu and then I picked the choice "Kindle main" and then clicked "Start". I tried a few times, waited for a long time and nothing happened so I just closed. Is it supposed to be that lengthy?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle_dir.JPG
Views:	1035
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	92513   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside_diag.JPG
Views:	794
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	92514   Click image for larger version

Name:	MfgTool_im.JPG
Views:	983
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	92515  
proximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #33
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by proximus View Post
Ok, I made three screenshots to clarify the situation for you guys.

3) The MfgTool: well, I selected the USB port of the Kindle in the "Configuaration" menu and then I picked the choice "Kindle main" and then clicked "Start". I tried a few times, waited for a long time and nothing happened so I just closed. Is it supposed to be that lengthy?
Your screenshot indicates that you're not booting the kindle in USB downloader mode, so the MfgTool can't work. Not sure what the key combination is on the K4 to get it into usb downloader mode - look in the simple debricking thread or any related howtos.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #34
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Your screenshot indicates that you're not booting the kindle in USB downloader mode, so the MfgTool can't work. Not sure what the key combination is on the K4 to get it into usb downloader mode - look in the simple debricking thread or any related howtos.
5-way down button.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #35
proximus

@geekmaster: I don't know what you mean by "5-way down button": when should I press it, inside which menu? I really appreciate the help, but since I am no developer or computer expert of any kind it'd be much easier for me if you were less cryptic (probably to you it's the most natural thing but trust me, to me it is not).
Old 09-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #36
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hmm. from memory.

Push powery thing.

wait. ( 20 seconds according to the Amazon website)

BEFORE RELEASING powery thing. Press DOWN on 5 way.

Release power button.

screen stays blank IIRC. (I used this on a k3 with K3Flasher)

CAVEAT: I have never actually done it on the device type, but that sounds about right. HTH

Last edited by twobob; 09-18-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: "5 way" not "4 way" duh!
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #37
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh. and a lack of fine detail is not cryptic
For the record

He rather assumed you had read a relevant thread I am assuming.

: )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekmaster
NS13YXkgZG93biBidXR0b24u
that would be cryptic

Last edited by twobob; 09-18-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: it's a base 64 encoded version of the message (http://www.motobit.com/util/base64-decoder-encoder.asp)
Old 09-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #38
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by proximus View Post
@geekmaster: I don't know what you mean by "5-way down button": when should I press it, inside which menu? I really appreciate the help, but since I am no developer or computer expert of any kind it'd be much easier for me if you were less cryptic (probably to you it's the most natural thing but trust me, to me it is not).
*sigh*

You are not expected to be "a developer or computer expert of any kind" - but you ARE expected to read the documentation. I even told you where to start looking for it: the "simple debricking" thread. In that thread, you find the following statement:
Quote:
Follow the instructions in the "Select Boot" thread to get your bricked kindle into fastboot mode. [...]
This is documented in the "Select Boot" and "Fastboot Manifesto" threads (see links provided below).
... and a link to the thread, where you find this:

Quote:
To get your kindle touch or k4nt into USB Recovery mode, plug in the USB cable, the press and hold the power switch until the power LED turns off, then press and hold the "Magic Key", then release the power switch, then release the "Magic Key". The "Magic Key" is a special button that is different on each model of kindle, and is used to enter USB Recovery mode.

Kindle Model, Magic Key:
Touch, Home button
K4NT, Five-Way Down button
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #39
proximus

I looked in the "simple debricking" thread but I didn't find anything. I am sorry, ixtab.

@twobob: thank you for the clear explanation! But I guess we have different views on the word "cryptic". Condensing this: "To get your kindle touch or k4nt into USB Recovery mode, plug in the USB cable, the press and hold the power switch until the power LED turns off, then press and hold the "Magic Key", then release the power switch, then release the "Magic Key". The "Magic Key" is a special button that is different on each model of kindle, and is used to enter USB Recovery mode." into this: "5-way down button.", is actually cryptic
Old 09-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #40
twobob

then I guess we do.
Since as I stated: he (quite rightly) assumed you had read that thread.

that's précis mate.... not cryptography.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #41
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
A lack of understanding means that you missed something in your studies, and you need to go back and read it again. If you count the number of "success reports" in the simple debricking first post, and multiply that by one hundred, that is how many people were able to figure this stuff out. You can too.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-18-2012 at 04:06 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #42
Bradyle
Bradyle can extract oil from cheeseBradyle can extract oil from cheeseBradyle can extract oil from cheeseBradyle can extract oil from cheeseBradyle can extract oil from cheeseBradyle can extract oil from cheeseBradyle can extract oil from cheeseBradyle can extract oil from cheese

Hi!

I'd just like to pop in and say hi and thanks to everyone that posted here, and in the other forums on exiting diagnostics mode. With your hints and tips I managed to fix my kindle!!! I actually rely on this thing waaaayyy to much so I can not even begin to say thank you enough!!!!!
Bradyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #43
fsfewrsf
fsfewrsf began at the beginning.

Device: Koobe
I agree.
fsfewrsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:45 AM   #44
mrricheyrich
mrricheyrich began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4.1.1
Also stuck in Tequila limbo

Hello all,
It seems I am also having a similar issue as Proximus. I have a Kindle 4 (4.1.1) and successfully jailbreaked it according to https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle4NTHacking.

I also installed usbnetwork, which is where things get interesting. I tried to use the same workflow as for my Kindle 3 (;debug on, ~usbnetwork, ;debugoff commands on the Kindle) but whilst they worked I couldn't ssh in. I then followed the instructions on the above link under SSH, down to instruction 4 (activating usbnetwork).

Having no success with ssh either, I decided to reboot into Kindle (rather than the Tequila menu) using instruction #9 ("See points 3 & 4 in the Jailbreak section for more details on how to make your Kindle reboot to the main, full system.") This didn't work, however, and I can now only reboot into Tequila!

Before I delve into unbricking, I would be really grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction to reboot into Kindle mode. FWIW, I've tried adding/removing ENABLE_DIAGS, adding device info from xml file, and adding all of the jailbreak files from instruction #1 of the Jailbreak section before reboot, with no success.

Cheers,
R

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-28-2014 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Fixed the link -- NiLuJe
mrricheyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #45
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@mrricheyrich:

USBNetwork: Gonna need more details that 'couldn't SSH in'. The K4 defaults to a different IP config than the K3, which might be what tripped you up.

As for the rest: Should have read more carefully, SSH on diags is only available on very old K4 models, which probably explains why that didn't work.

Now, you mentioned having Jailbroken the device, so you did successfully exit diags mode once. That rules out weird crappy diags build. What happens if you hard-reboot the device?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote