Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #31
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Shrug. I'm not Apple, so it isn't like it it hurting me, it is just boring. The same posters, basically the same posts, again and again and again. The same 'jokes' ad nauseum.
That shrug would be a whole lot more believable if you didn't post indignant responses in every thread that suggests Apple is something less than a gift from heaven. If it's really not hurting you, why bother to post anything?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #32
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
That shrug would be a whole lot more believable if you didn't post indignant responses in every thread that suggests Apple is something less than a gift from heaven.
I honestly don't think that is a fair summary of my position.
I don't think Apple can do no wrong.
I just think they occasionally do some right as well, and that not all the evils of the world can be placed on their shoulders.
(And believe me, there are plenty of similar threads I didn't post in. It was the accumulation that made me rant.)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #33
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I'm not a total Apple hater. I bought an iPod Nano because nobody handles Podcasts like an iPod. I bought my wife an iPhone because she's not a techie and has trouble figuring out the the TV remote. Apple makes things simple that work. I applaud them for that.

What I can't stand is that they charge a premium price for everything. And now all these latest law suits trying to stifle their competition, especially when they started out by copying other's designs.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #34
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Looking at the crazy price competition, I'm speculating that in about 10 years, tablets will be sold like calculators -- so cheap that we longer talk about it. How about that?
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #35
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Except that good calculators - which haven't changed in years - are still quite expensive. Said she, having had to purchase 2 graphing calculators for her high school kids. there's really no competition to bring the price down.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #36
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I'm not sure Amazon doing *one* premium model alongside three value models means they've gone Boutique.
To me it means they don't expect the LTE model to sell enough to get a particularly high volume on the custom modem chip. That quoted price is for a generic (thicker) chip that is produced in very high volumes, not Amazon's custom chip. Which hasn't been FCC-approved yet.
I see the LTE FIRE as akin to the Dodge Viper or Chevy Corvette, a "Halo" product intended for low volumes with low-volume pricing just to show they can play with the "big boys", tech-wise. Think of it as a shot across Apple's bow; "We're closer to you than you like to think."

If you're a value buyer and $499 offends you, that is fine; the product is not meant for you anyway. (You wouldn't be dropping $499 or higher on an iPad anyway.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #37
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Except that good calculators - which haven't changed in years - are still quite expensive. Said she, having had to purchase 2 graphing calculators for her high school kids. there's really no competition to bring the price down.
Generic four-bangers may be Dollar Store material but the pro models have stabilized at decent but hardly bargain prices.
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/hom...edPricing-desc

If tablets prove to be more than a passing fad, their prices are likely to stabilize somewhere a bit higher than blister-pack calculators. Probably in the $99 range for the entry-level.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #38
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Shrug. I'm not Apple, so it isn't like it it hurting me, it is just boring. The same posters, basically the same posts, again and again and again. The same 'jokes' ad nauseum.
Feel free to use the "ignore" option.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #39
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I'm not sure Amazon doing *one* premium model alongside three value models means they've gone Boutique.
To me it means they don't expect the LTE model to sell enough to get a particularly high volume on the custom modem chip.
I agree, I expect the WiFi model to largely outsell the LTE one and become the "bread & butter" of Amazon's tablet portfolio.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #40
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I don't know how the general public or even the "Kindle attuned" public will act in the long run to Bezos new pricing scheme, but I will say this:

If Steve Jobs had come out with this, people would say "wonderful, a true genius, and storm the stores trying to get one in the right color."
Quote:
Chanting "MiMo WiFi, MiMo WiFi" endlessly.
Of course, Jobs would've called the modem feature by some cool trademarked name, like "AirZap", to hide the fact that it's a feature available on other equally good or better devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I think we can coin another phrase to go along with the regular phrase "anti-Apple mob" chanting crew. "Thin skinned" crew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
That shrug would be a whole lot more believable if you didn't post indignant responses in every thread that suggests Apple is something less than a gift from heaven. If it's really not hurting you, why bother to post anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Feel free to use the "ignore" option.
This began as a thread on an interview with Jeff Bezos concerning the new Kindle models. But - for whatever reason - halfway into the thread Apple-haters show up and start talking bashing Apple and its users.

I don't really think that stuff like this is productive at all - and it's not like there is any shortage of other threads where Apple can be bashed.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
To me it means they don't expect the LTE model to sell enough to get a particularly high volume on the custom modem chip. That quoted price is for a generic (thicker) chip that is produced in very high volumes, not Amazon's custom chip. Which hasn't been FCC-approved yet.
I see other Amazon devices making use of that chip in the near future -- phone, mobile hotspot?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #42
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I see other Amazon devices making use of that chip in the near future -- phone, mobile hotspot?
A phone yes, mobile hotspot no.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #43
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm thinking Amazon didn't design that chip solely for a low-volume tablet so a 4G phone is looking like a certainty. And with the Fire shipping in Nov, I could see the phone shipping early next year once the chip yiellds improve.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #44
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
This began as a thread on an interview with Jeff Bezos concerning the new Kindle models. But - for whatever reason - halfway into the thread Apple-haters show up and start talking bashing Apple and its users.

I don't really think that stuff like this is productive at all - and it's not like there is any shortage of other threads where Apple can be bashed.
You know what they say, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #45
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
A phone yes, mobile hotspot no.
Probably.
The hotspot wouldn't have much in the way of attached services, would it?