Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Kindle Keyboard and Note Taking

Can anyone share their experiences of using the Kindle as a notetaker using the built-in keyboard ? I would assume that it isn't "touch-type" but it cannot be worse than using a mobile / cell phone. Also, are there limits to the amount of notes you can take and how can they be exported off the Kindle ? Can they be stored in a format that can be read by MS Word ?

Many thanks for your help on this. I currently have the very elegant Sony PRS505, but it's the notetaking that grabs me.

Many thanks,,
Hal.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
Can anyone share their experiences of using the Kindle as a notetaker using the built-in keyboard ? I would assume that it isn't "touch-type" but it cannot be worse than using a mobile / cell phone. Also, are there limits to the amount of notes you can take and how can they be exported off the Kindle ? Can they be stored in a format that can be read by MS Word ?

Many thanks for your help on this. I currently have the very elegant Sony PRS505, but it's the notetaking that grabs me.

Many thanks,,
Hal.
If you're an ace texter already, the Kindle's keyboard should be a snap-better than a cellphone, because the QWERTY layout means no scrolling between multiple letters assigned to a key (as on a cellphone). It's more of a "thumb-board" than anything else.

I know there are size limits for clips from pages, but I've never heard of anyone hitting a limit on notes. The notes I've taken have been pretty spare. It comes off as text and can be taken directly into Word.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thanks Moso. Do the notes come out as separate notes, or by book in one large file ?

I can see ebay getting another PRS505 very soon.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:54 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Thanks Moso. Do the notes come out as separate notes, or by book in one large file ?

I can see ebay getting another PRS505 very soon.
From the Kindle User's Guide:
Quote:
You can highlight lines of text and add notes to any of the content on Kindle. Amazon automatically stores all of your annotations in the "My Clippings" file and even backs them up on Amazon servers so they will never be lost even if you lose your Kindle.
The "My Clippings" file is a text file which can be transferred to your computer.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:40 AM   #5
huari
Enthusiast
huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle me, Sony Reader missus
notetaking needs mo' kindling

The Kindle isn't really designed to take individual notes, even though I desperately want it too!

The notetaking function really is just for minor scribbles to 'book' margins.
It is first and foremost a reader.

I was surprised how well the keyboard responded despite reading reviews to the contrary. The chiclet-like keys have a little snap and don't feel mushy.
Also the mostest, bestest, underrated function is Search
all your notes are indexed and can be searched off the dedicated 'search' key. I think it is super awesome, as my wife's Sony Reader lacks that.

if you type too fast, input is stored in a buffer and will output over time.

The unfortunate aspect is that you can only add notes (6 lines per screenful) to individual lines in your document (stuff in your library). You cannot edit a whole plain text file. (I've since sent that as feedback, knowing it is not feasible) heck, I want a shell like my Asus eee or the iliad folks!

The note field will extend beyond 6 lines and show another set of 6 lines, but I have yet to find any arrow keys to navigate vertically in the note. alt + h and j will move the cursor horizontally so that is something.

Additionally like the iphone, there is no copy/paste.

Also every edit to a note will be recorded, date stamped and captured in your MyClippings file with duplicated lines. So if I make a note: "Read The Joy of Living" and save it, then go back and edit the note again to add "Buy Genuine Happiness", My Clippings file will show redundant entries for "Read The Joy of Living"

I'm still trying to work in some lite GTD as I find the kindle my most carried device. But since there is no monospace fonts nor can users add fonts, my calendar still turns out malformed: for month in `seq 1 12`; do cal $month 2008; done

But reality is that the slowness of my data entry, makes the Kindle impractical for any decent rapid notetaking. It serves more like a journaler for writing when I have a cache of time- on bus, medical appt, etc

Twitter works but still the time it takes to log it is a chore.

In a way I think that is good that the UI constrains the wireless, so we can still have it 'free'!

I think the ultimate would be that epson controller chip to allow scribbling like the Iliad for Kindle 2.0. This coupled with free wireless would be paradise.
huari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
Prince Hal
Zealot

Thank You

Many thanks for taking the time to reply - this has been really helpful. Perhaps the brotherhood of man does still exist, it is just found more on forums than in some churches.

I would be using it to make notes against verses of scripture, perhaps adding a cross reference or two, or a piece of explanatory text, rather than pencil things into my Bible.

The search function as you say would be essential.

Thanks again.

Hal.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This might be an idea, but I don't use a Sony and wouldn't know if it would work for you. Here is something I do with the "insert blank page" feature of my reader. I've loaded a "book" which is really just a single cover page titled "Reminder." Then I add pages for grocery lists, things to remember from work, books I hear about and want to read, etc. My reader lets me use the stylus for handwriting directly onto the page. Simple enough that even I can do it!

Do you have those sorts of features on your reader? The result is not pretty, but it does what I need it to do.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
huari
Enthusiast
huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes, based on your usage; I think the Kindle's notetaking and search is a great fit for referencing books of wisdom.

The above was written on the kindle, but since the kindle only provides 1 line for the input field it was slow going to compose the rest of the reply.

I wanted to just comment on DixieGal's reply, which I thought sounded like the Iliad. I just read a review of the eBookwise EB-1150 aka ETI-2 and went to the product page of ETI. It sounds and looks great! If the kindle had that markup feature like DixieGal's reader, that would be perfecto.

I don't want to go off topic but the great thing is the technology is maturing and e-paper will become more of a reality. Reading bibles, scribbling virtual paper, searching and shopping wirelessly all in a low-power, less eye straining manner makes for an exciting time in history.

Cheers,
tony

Last edited by huari; 05-02-2008 at 01:56 AM. Reason: on a real 'browser'
Old 05-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
Prince Hal
Zealot

Red face How does the note taking work

Potentially a silly question, but here goes. The Kindle has to refresh the screen to display a new page of a book. Does it have to do this when typing. So, to write the word "kindle" for example in a note on a page, do you press "k" then the Kindle refreshes the screen, then "i" and the refresh, etc ?

Many thanks for your help,

Hal.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
huari
Enthusiast

Hi Hal,

There is no page refresh on keystrokes so the input is instantaneous with little delay unless you type very fast. The page will refresh when the note field dialog is closed.
Cheers,
tony
Old 05-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #11
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Another thing I like about the My Clippings file is that in addition to having all your notes in one place, it also records what book you put them in, and what location you put them at. This is particularly handy if you want to refer someone else who has a Kindle to that location in that book.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #12
Prince Hal
Zealot

Thanks - the finger hovers

Many thanks everyone. My finder is hovering on the Buy Now button on Amazon after all of your help and information. Kindle to be bought within the week.

Hal.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #13
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Reading all these posts makes it readily apparent that the Kindle is not a note-taker, although that can be gotten around by some tweaking and manipulation.

I'm as big a techno phreak as anybody and love gadgets, as well as the Kindle (which is too good to be classified as a "gadget"). I've had all sorts of PDAs, cell phones, electronic dictionaries, etc, etc. The old Rocket eBook had a touchscreen with a keyboard on the screen that could be summoned up. It was large enough that with the stylus, you could write very quickly, save the text, copy to a computer and print it out.

I had a little computer with a 10" screen that was wonderful too, although about 8 times as expensive as a Kindle.

Anyway, to the point. Those that want to go through all the acrobatics necessary to take notes on the K. can do so, but if I may make a suggestion, it is this:

Buy a pencil and a little paper notebook, keep them in your pocket, and write all the notes you want to your heart's content. It will have a large variety of fonts, adjustable margins, and you can write in landscape or portrait mode.

End of problem
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #14
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Quote:
Many thanks everyone. My finder is hovering on the Buy Now button on Amazon after all of your help and information. Kindle to be bought within the week.

Hal.
Do it, do it now, I dare you
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #15
Prince Hal
Zealot

Did it !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketime View Post
Do it, do it now, I dare you
Pressed the button today !! 2 days delivery. Wonder how it compares against my old Sony PRS505 ?