Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-18-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
craigg
craigg began at the beginning.

Device: none
Converting A4 to a readable size?

Does anyone know if there is anyway to convert A4 PDFs (or word documents indeed...) down to a size readable by the kindle?
I mean sure, I can set them to fit in the screen, but this makes the text unreadably small.
Anyway around this?
craigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Tiger2001
Tiger2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I tend to use BRISS to crop the pages.
Tiger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigg View Post
Does anyone know if there is anyway to convert A4 PDFs (or word documents indeed...) down to a size readable by the kindle?
I mean sure, I can set them to fit in the screen, but this makes the text unreadably small.
Anyway around this?
If you have the word document, and you have Word, you can use mobipocket creator to make a mobipocket format file.

Or you could print the document to a PDF file with appropriate page size and margins for your Kindle screen.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
Chrasty
Chrasty is no ebook tyro.Chrasty is no ebook tyro.Chrasty is no ebook tyro.Chrasty is no ebook tyro.Chrasty is no ebook tyro.Chrasty is no ebook tyro.Chrasty is no ebook tyro.Chrasty is no ebook tyro.Chrasty is no ebook tyro.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Better yet, instead of printing the Word document to a PDF manually, you could check out my little Word add-in which does precisely that for you, including all the necessary adjustments. The result looks great, I use it to convert my school documents with equations and stuff to a Kindle-fit-PDF Here's the link to my blog where you'll find the download link: http://blog.chrasty.cz/kindle-sender...-documents-and
Chrasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
craigg

Sounds good, but I just use word 2003.

What about pdfs?
Old 05-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #6
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrasty View Post
Better yet, instead of printing the Word document to a PDF manually, you could check out my little Word add-in which does precisely that for you, including all the necessary adjustments. The result looks great, I use it to convert my school documents with equations and stuff to a Kindle-fit-PDF Here's the link to my blog where you'll find the download link: http://blog.chrasty.cz/kindle-sender...-documents-and
thanks, looks promising.I'll try. Maybe using it with an app (like CutePDF writer) would be a good idea if it doesn't save it to pdf itself.

edit: I tried and it is good.
The option "export to pdf and send" is good but I would like to have an option "export to pdf (and save)" too. However, as I mentioned above it is not a big problem.

One more thing: one should set column as 1 for the whole document . Otherwise, converting goes wrong. (If possible you should add this to the code)

Lastly, this could be used to convert pdfs to Kindle format wtih help of an app like the ones on this link though I didn't try ( because not need for now)

Last edited by thomass; 05-22-2011 at 02:02 PM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigg View Post
Sounds good, but I just use word 2003.

What about pdfs?
If all you have is the A4 PDF, I think you're pretty much stuck with that.

Unless you could use Briss or something like it to cut the pages in half?
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

Have you tried Duokan? It can be the solution to your problems:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105316
and
http://flip.netzbeben.de/2010/11/duo...ish-gui-today/)

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
Chrasty
Chrasty is no ebook tyro.Chrasty is no ebook tyro.Chrasty is no ebook tyro.Chrasty is no ebook tyro.Chrasty is no ebook tyro.Chrasty is no ebook tyro.Chrasty is no ebook tyro.Chrasty is no ebook tyro.Chrasty is no ebook tyro.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
thanks, looks promising.I'll try. Maybe using it with an app (like CutePDF writer) would be a good idea if it doesn't save it to pdf itself.

edit: I tried and it is good.
The option "export to pdf and send" is good but I would like to have an option "export to pdf (and save)" too. However, as I mentioned above it is not a big problem.

One more thing: one should set column size as 1 for the whole document . Otherwise, converting goes wrong. (If possible you should add this to the code)

Lastly, this could be used to convert pdfs to Kindle format wtih help of an app like the ones on this link though I didn't try ( because not need for now)
Thank you for your suggestions! I've just released a new version - now you can export the document without sending (and without entering the account info), just as you wanted. I fixed the multiple column problem as well, now the add-in sets the whole document to 1 column. Thanks again! You can download the new version on the same link as the previous one.
Chrasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrasty View Post
I've just released a new version - now you can export the document without sending ... I fixed the multiple column problem as well
Thanks for this quick response.

(attachments are about a small problem, uploaded for Chrasty )
Attached Files
File Type: pdf problem.pdf (482.4 KB, 310 views)
File Type: pdf problem1.pdf (482.4 KB, 281 views)

Last edited by thomass; 05-20-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:55 AM   #11
craigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hello

Have you tried Duokan? It can be the solution to your problems:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105316
and
http://flip.netzbeben.de/2010/11/duo...ish-gui-today/)

Best regards,
what does this do ? seems vague
Old 05-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

It’s a “parallel” OS and eBook software device that can run in the Kindle. Does not change anything to the Kindle’s itself software and one can pass from one to the other and vice versa wihto a problems. Does let one read ePubs, and several other formats the Kindle one does not.

But in what it excels is in PDF reading… much better layout and experience doing so than with the Kindle own PDF software, specially zooming, eliminating margins, text reflowing (kindle counterpart does not have this), bettering the contrast, etc…

Read the forum messages and the posts one Flip’s page and you will have all the info you need.

Let me know if I can be of some more help.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #13
excalibra
excalibra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thank you Chrasty for this useful plugin.
It would be good if there was a plug-in that can do the same conversion for pdf files,are you thinking to do something like that or is there already one for pdf files?
excalibra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #14
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
@Chrasty:

I Installed the plugin. How I select the document so the "Format for Kindle" button works?

I pressed and nothing happened, then I press "export as pdf and save" but there is warning that said the document have NOT properly formatted

help please

thanks
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:39 AM   #15
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
@Chrasty:

I Installed the plugin. How I select the document so the "Format for Kindle" button works?

I pressed and nothing happened, then I press but there is warning that said the document have NOT properly formatted

help please

thanks
1- open the document you want to format
2- press "Format for Kindle"
3- press "export as pdf and save"or "export as pdf and send"