Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-04-2020, 09:13 AM   #1
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Calibre ebook viewer problem

Sorry if this is a duplicate. I did search, (check my profile, I know how the system works) and found a few things that might be related, but nothing exact. It's possible I may have missed it though and if so, my apologies. The suggestion I found for what looked like related issues was that something was locking or blocking the cache files. There is no virus software or filesync apps on the machine that could cause that. See Chris's remarks below.

I'm running a Mac Mini, with Catalina. I can't get any of my ebooks to open in the viewer. A screenshot of the error is below. It appears that the problem is permissions, but even Chris the genius IT husband couldn't figure out why it's happening. I did update to the latest version of calibre, no luck. This has been happening for several versions/updates, it just now got to be a big enough nuisance for me to try to diagnose the problem.

"The metadata.opf goes into Library/Caches/calibre/ev2/t/tmp****** with permissions of 700. Nothing else is accessing it, lsof comes up empty on metadata.opf and everything above it. ps -ef comes up with nothing as well. If it is supposed to have something other than 700 permissions (and that shouldn't matter anyway unless Calibre is running as something other than $USER) why are cache files being created that Calibre itself should be able to access but can't?"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 10.03.36 PM.png
Views:	214
Size:	655.0 KB
ID:	179711  
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:16 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
try setting some other directory as your calibre cache directory via an environment variable as described here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ment-variables
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:50 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Thanks Kovid, I'll give that a try!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:26 AM   #4
nzzn
nzzn began at the beginning.

Device: none
For what its worth, I tried this but no luck. Permissions on the generated .opf file in the cache I specified seem OK but the viewer will still fail in the manner shown above. However, if I click on the cached opf outside of Calibre the viewer opens up and works correctly. Using Catalina 10.15.7 and as the original poster intimated the viewer hasn't worked on Catalina for quite a few versions.
nzzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You tried what?
Old 10-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #6
nzzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You tried what?
I set the cache directory using the appropriate environment variable. That works and I can see subdirectories and files appearing there instead of the in the Catalina default $HOME/Library/Caches/calibre spot.

So when calibre launches the book viewer it generates entries in the cache but then claims that it cannot locate the opf file so it stops.

However, the opf file is there and has reasonable permissions. In fact, when you click on the file outside of calibre the calibre viewer opens up correctly without complaint.

Is it trying to open the file just prior to creating it on the Mac for some reason (buffer flush missing perhaps?)
Old 10-18-2020, 01:01 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, calibre is written in python and files are written to using context managers, so there is no way a "buffer flush" would be missing. Although a buffer flush missing would not explain a missing directory entry anyway. Look at the path in the error message, compare it to the actual path of the OPF. Are they actually identical, pay special attention to case differences.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:23 AM   #8
nzzn

Yes the path is absolutely the same (I can copy the full name from the calibre error detail and then do an 'ls' on that string to see the file exists at that location, has a non-zero size, and has read permissions for everybody).
Old 10-19-2020, 07:26 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Since macOS stupidly uses case insensitive filesystems by default, doing ls proves nothing, that's why I asked you to check the case specifically.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #10
nzzn

checked again — they are the exact same letter for letter!
Old 10-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas, sorry.