Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
One of the biggest thing I'm looking for (other than speed boost) is more memory.
Memory, or storage space? They are different things. Memory lets you run more (or more complex) apps; storage space lets you store data.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #62
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
on the iPhone it's one and the same. My purpose is that I want to keep more information on my iPhone, i.e. there are times when I'm not on fast internet (LTE or WiFi) and I want to be able to access my music and books at that time. I do have the mophie space pack for extra memory, but since only the mophie app can access that memory and the app is very limited, it doesn't really work well for me.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #63
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Thank you for discovering that it is the Apple forum for me.
Android is a related issue anytime people want to compare Apple vs. Android in either forum.

While it is nice and all that you used and liked an Android phone, that does not magically cause your (current) Apple bias to disappear.
Sigh, you keep imagining some sort of bias. One shouldn't hurl one's self at a conclusion based on very limited data. You find yourself spectacularly wrong quite often.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:35 PM   #64
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
on the iPhone it's one and the same. My purpose is that I want to keep more information on my iPhone, i.e. there are times when I'm not on fast internet (LTE or WiFi) and I want to be able to access my music and books at that time. I do have the mophie space pack for extra memory, but since only the mophie app can access that memory and the app is very limited, it doesn't really work well for me.
You *are* actually talking about storage space as Harry suggested. My poor old 4S only has 512Mb RAM but it has 16GB storage (some of which is for the system)

I too hope that the next generation comes with more storage space, I can't keep much on the phone and wish I had a lot more. For me though, 64GB will be enough. A new iPad will need 128GB (or more if its available)

Here's the info
Quote:
iPhone
iPhone (June 2007): 128MB
iPhone 3G (July 2008): 128MB
iPhone 3GS (June 2009): 256MB
iPhone 4 (June 2010): 512MB
iPhone 4S (October 2011): 512MB
iPhone 5 (September 2012): 1GB
iPhone 5S (September 2013): 1GB
iPod touch
1st generation (September 2007): 128MB
2nd generation (September 2008): 128MB
3rd generation (September 2009): 256MB
4th generation (September 2010): 256MB
5th generation (October 2012): 512MB
iPad
1st generation (April 2010): 256MB
iPad 2 (2011): 512MB
3rd generation (March 2012): 1GB
4th generation (November 2012): 1GB
iPad Air (November 2013): 1GB
iPad mini
1st generation (November 2012): 512MB
2nd generation (November 2013): 1GB
iOS doesn't use swap space, therefore, only RAM will be available to processes. (That said, iOS does support paging executables.)
from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...d-touch-device
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:52 AM   #65
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I doubt the 4" form factor will go away. It's perfect for many people. The 5s/c will probably remain in the lineup until at least the 2015 refresh. If I were getting an iPhone I'd probably get 4", especially if CPU is comparable.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2014, 01:03 AM   #66
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I doubt the 4" form factor will go away. It's perfect for many people. The 5s/c will probably remain in the lineup until at least the 2015 refresh. If I were getting an iPhone I'd probably get 4", especially if CPU is comparable.
In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple eventually introduces an "iPhone mini" as their low end model.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:42 AM   #67
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple eventually introduces an "iPhone mini" as their low end model.
A reenergised iphone 4S?
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #68
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
There are rumors that the 5.5-inch screen will be called the iPhone Air and the 4.7-inch the iPhone 6.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #69
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
To start with, I was never an apple fanboy until I bought my iPad 2 a a few years ago and was hooked. When it came to to replaced phone I went to an iphone5. I've had the 5 for almost 2 years and it's been a great phone with one issue. I've Always felt the screen is too small. My prior phone and HD7 had a a 4.3 inch screen and I've always missed the extra real estate. Especially as my eyesight has diminished some.

I'm not a basher of the big phone they are nice. The Notes have a super bright and clear screen. But at a certain point they just get to big to get in and out of your pocket especially with a case on. I have big hands and though I don't wear skinny jeans by any stretch a phone over 5 inches is probably too be for normal day to day. A friend has a Note 2 but the guy is 6ft 6 and has hands like Andre the giant. He wears cargo pants a lot so the note fits in the big pocket.

I've thought something in the 4.5-4.8 range would be the best so with a case it would still fit into my pocket and be easy to grab.

As far as memory and speed I've had no issues with the 16gb model as even my iPad has only 16. I know the current demand is for more and more space but IMHO it just gets filled with junk and 16 is more than enough for day to day. A movie or 3, a couple of audio books A few regular books and a coue of hundred songs and pictures. With cloud storge for books and documents it works for me My desktop has 4tb if I need to store things.

I am looking forward to a new upgrade. And since my current phone is In great shape u can probably sell it for more than the cost of my upgrade on CL
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:23 AM   #70
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'm looking to upgrade, I have a 5 that's out of contract in September. I like the idea of a larger screen but the 4.75 is the one I'd go for. I have a retina mini that I travel with but the phone is better for when actually travelling. I use the mini when I get to work or if I'm out at the weekend when I stop for lunch.

I have a 64 now but tbh with the mini I tend not to fill it so I'll probably get a 32

Last edited by Josieb1; 07-29-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:26 AM   #71
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I like the idea of the 5.5" iPhone for the work I do. I'd ditch my iPad mini if I could. How to carry it around is my only concern.

This was in Time last week:

Quote:
While demand for smartphones larger than five inches is minimal in the U.S. and Europe, there is great interest in smartphones in the 5.5- to 5.7-inch range in many parts of Asia.

For example, well over 80% of smartphones sold in Korea have screens that are at least five inches and above. They have also become big hits in China and other parts of Asia where larger smartphones double as a small tablets, thus driving demand in these regions of the world for what are called “phablets.”
http://time.com/3045777/5-5-inch-iphone/
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote